PDA

View Full Version : psychiatrict help

opal
16-02-06, 14:58
Has anyone has help from the Mental health team. I am seeing a psychiatrict Nurse soon to help me with my GAD.
Just wanted to chat t someone who has been through this. Also many sessions are you able to have through the NHS. I was referred by my GP.
I really hope this will help my road to recovering.

darkangel
16-02-06, 18:42
Hi Opal

I was referred to a Psychiatric Nurse who I first saw for an assessment to help me deal with my GAD and Panic Attacks. There was no time limit set and I saw him on a weekly then fortnightly basis. I could talk to him about anything and we worked on lots of issues in a structured way. I saw him for about 4 years until we both agreed on my discharge 6 months ago. I can phone direct to him if I ever feel I need to get back on track but as yet have managed to cope ok myself. I suppose the length of time will depend on each individual person and also what issues you are dealing with. In my case there were a lot of issues!

I had been involved with the Mental Health Team seeing various psychiatrists, CPNs (community psy nurse) and CBT (cognitive behaviourial therapy) for a number of years so if you have any worries about dealing with them, then please ask and I will try and reassure you and help.

Hope everything goes OK for you.

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Karen
16-02-06, 19:02
Hi Opal

The initial appointment will be for an assessment and you will get the chance to discuss what kind of help and treatment is on offer and best suited to you. This could be anything from seeing a CPN regularly, to seeing a therapist, or a combination.

Good luck for the appointment. I hope it goes well for you.

Karen

freakedout
17-02-06, 16:36
Hi opal,

I saw CPN for a short period about 10 yrs ago, then asked my GP for re-referral last April. Had regular home visits for assessment & support then they suggested CBT so I was referred by CMHT for CBT. Once my appointment came for CBT I stopped seeing CPN. My CBT ends next week and I still feel that I need support so may ask my therapist for visits from a CPN again.

I can appreciate you feeling nervous but they just understand your anxiety and panic and it helps to offload and receive reassurance and constructive advice from somebody in the comfort of your own home.

Good Luck with it and take care

Freakedout

vorpalblade
18-02-06, 14:54
all depends on where you live as to how long you can stay under a CPN care for. postcode lottery

opal
22-02-06, 16:07
Hi
An update. I saw the CPN today for an assesment and she is referring me to a phycologist for cognitive behaviour therapy.
It was good to let out out all my difficulties and problems and panic anxieties.
The CPN said I am suffereing from GAD and Panick attacks due to stress over the years with life. I thought this anyway.

I feel I am and on the road to gettting help now.

Meg
24-02-06, 17:05
Good to hear you're getting some CBT help now and have been reassured that you can recover.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
24-02-06, 19:37
Hi Opal

Glad the appointment went well and you are being referred for CBT.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.