PDA

View Full Version : will things get better and do we recover ???

alwaysanxious
04-07-10, 22:36
hello all was just wondering if i will recover and be my old self again im only on my 5th week of meds at the moment but am wondering if it will get alot easier and less anxiety/panic in say a cople of months times. i long to be me again without the fear of panic ect hanging over my head... ive noticed today tho that ive drank normal tea had about 6 cups because ive been out today as i normaly drink decaf tea and i can feel the effect of it so thats not helping but yesterday i felt real good like the old me again.. will it get better and better and will i be able to lead a normal life again????????? ive had alot of stress the past year and half and thats why im suffering now so i hope as the stress eases so will my attacks ....

lisa

onceagain
04-07-10, 22:56
Hi Lisa

You are bound to have ups and downs so early into the medication, but things will get a little easier eventually.

As far as fully recovering I cannot answer, I guess it depends on the individuals circumstances and personality, but who knows, I truly hope it does but I have been caught in this cycle longer than I anticipated and I have several good days and think whoppeeeee I'm on my way only for a thought or a nights sleep to put me back again.

I will say to you to always think that you will get better and you will have a much better chance of success, the medication will help but that is only half the battle, they should be used as a support but the healing is done through therapy and self help.

I wish you all the best and I hope that the effects of the medication kick in and things settle with you soon x

jothenurse
05-07-10, 00:41
I think people do recover from this. I have a panic disorder (I'm 56 years old) and I was on ativan, and am now only using a little bit in the morning (.25mg) which I am told by my doctor that I can stop any time with no difficulty because it is such a little amount. I am probably psychologically dependent on that at the moment. But - the point is, is that I had a panic disorder 30 some years ago. I did work through that with Serax (a benzodiazepine) and therapy. I tapered off the Serax, and except for some anxiety from time to time didn't have much trouble with it. I recently have had some heavy stresses in my life the last couple of years which my therapist said accumulated and I do now have them back. But yes, you can recover from this and be happy again.

Going home
05-07-10, 01:00
I agree with Jo, yes you can absolutely recover as many of us have with the help of the right meds and forums like this...BUT, maybe we have to recognise that we cannot totally be the people we were before...how can we be? For example, if someone has a nervous breakdown for whatever reason and then they recover there will always be that memory of the nervous breakdown and how it affected them. It doesn't make us less of the person we were, it adds to us and it gives us a more realistic view of how life can affect us sometimes. Even though the memory of the breakdown makes us sensitive, it also make us stronger not weaker. If you think recovery wipes out what you have been through, it doesn't, but thats not negative, its positive. I guess it comes down to whether you are a glass half full person or a glass half empty person.

Sometimes we just have to accept that we are sensitive people...highly intelligent yes :D but just more sensitive, and thats ok if we accept it and don't fight against it. :hugs:

Anna xxx

alwaysanxious
05-07-10, 11:12
thank you all, i did have a nervouse breakdown in 2003 so i know how it can be but im more aware now,its the horrible memorie of that that haunts me thats all and even then i used NMP back then so i wouldnt have recovered that well without this site. its so sad that lots of people suffer in the way we do i find i look at people when im working and wonder how they cope what there lives are like and the people that do cope through life i wonder what there secret is??? i also know its down to our think patterns right?? and if so when did i start to distort my thinking at what age???? iknow im sensitive to things and i hope in my next life i come back different and never have to suffer like this again. imagine me trying to run the country with anxiety and panic disorder lol :ohmy: that was a bit random i reckon the people that are running our country are all crazy in the coconut anyway lol.... anyway apart from my randomness i think there should be more help for us available rather than just the internet beacause if it was for my laptop id be worse i have found out lots of helpfull things on the web ,it would be nice to see the people we converse with outside of the laptop like group therapy !!! im going off on a tangent again.......... thank u all anyway i just wanted reassurance there is light at the end of the tunnel...:hugs:

take care lisa

TheExtradition
06-07-10, 01:30
There are good days and bad, there always will. But what helped me the most was telling myself that the more I thought about the "new me" being "me" forever, the worse it got, and realizing that you are the old you, and always will be, helped tons. I forced it out of my mind, and relief finally came. Just try to tell yourself that no matter what you think you feel, you are always you!

Louise2009
06-07-10, 11:51
Hiya -

I agree with 'going home' - in a way we will never really be the same again, but it depends on how you think about that, and to try to view that as positive. I am much, much better than I was, although its taken just over a year, but I can promise you that it definately WILL get better. I am not really the same person I was, but I feel I have grown, and although I am not doing all the same things I used to do, I don't want to be doing all the same things - I have new things in my life and new friends. The best thing to do is take one day at a time and try not to think too much about the future. Yes I do believe thought patterns have a lot to do with it, try to rationalise everything and think positively.

Ref to your comment about running a country with anxiety - well, Whinston Churchill had panic attacks and he got us through world war 2! you can google him. So great people do have panic attacks/anxiety!

Bye for now

Louise xx

alwaysanxious
06-07-10, 16:02
hi everyone i'm not alwaysanxious i'm her boyfriend and a very lucky person to have her in my eyes. As she has proberly said we have had a really hard time of things me unable to get back into work no matter how hard i try no one will give me the break alongside that money and the rest of things. Well i have read a few things on here and seen what lisa has put i at first felt sorry for everyone of you but then thought to myself No it's the rest of us that need the ums and aaarrrrsss as we have learnt to hide are hurt and pain and stress and unable to show and explain how we are feeling and thinking. Like myself i hurt inside but i have always been the strong one and i do not know how to ask for help unlike the people on this site that are fighting with them selves every day but every day getting stronger and braver than the one before. I am not a writer as you may tell as i ranble lol. i would like to point out to everyone of you that the person inside you that thinks you can't get back to normal(what ever that is) will be beaten down every day by the fighter inside you like is happening to lisa she thinks she needs me but she has the answers all inside her plus she makes 2 of me to be truthful she has been fighting this longer than any trouble i have fought. You all have the remedy inside you and one day it will take over and you will achieve you goal. good luck remember tomorrow will come and go but you will be there. Lee

Jabz
06-07-10, 19:20
people who deal with anxiety and panic attacks are some of the strongest people i've ever met, too bad i can't seem to convince myself of that...