PDA

View Full Version : Insomia on 30mgs

BubbleBonce
05-07-10, 00:11
Hi Peeps,

I've been on 30mgs for 3 weeks now and was taking 15mgs for 6 weeks before that. The last week I've been having problems getting to sleep and had to take some Zopiclone which I happened to have. My appetite is also less.

Am I weird or what cuz this med hasn't made me sleepy? Anyone else fond this?

Bubble :unsure:

Danath
05-07-10, 02:21
It doesn't mean you're weird at all, some medications just affect people in different ways, though I must confess, I slept like a baby on mirtazapine, and heard other people do, but we're all different.

You can't keep taking zopiclone indefinately as it can get addictive, and I'm sure the doctor would'nt prescribe it for very long for this reason, but you must go back and see your doctor and pharmacist(as I am neither, and can only relate my experience) if this med is making you feel worse, or keeping you awake as good sleep is particularly important where mental wellbeing is concerned.

hope you feel better soon.

JT69
05-07-10, 07:29
Hi Bubble,

i would go back and chat to your GP. Mirtazipine is surposed to be particularly good for helping sleep and increasing appetite (hence alot of people gain weight when taking it), I think that you should at least be sleeping better and you shouldn't really take zopiclone without speaking to your GP with Mirt hun.

I think that the sedation in mirtazipine would be immediate if it was going to help you sleep. Has it helped in any other way for you?

Take care
Jo.xx

BubbleBonce
05-07-10, 15:57
I know I should see my GP but it's only been happening for a few days. I always have problems with meds and it drives me nuts. They never do what they say they should for me. Grrrrr.
I did talk to the GP about taking the Zopiclone & she thought I wouldn;t need it or it would make me super sleepy. Wrong! She did say I could try half a 3.5mg tab though & I took a whole one. It's still not a big dose and I do know how addictive they can be so I will use them sparingly! Maybe I'll take them in the morning and see how that goes.
It has helped my nerves a bit. I don't get the horrible surges that I did, I do feel slightly more inclined to do 'something' and my muscles that felt really terriblw feel a little better. I would rather stick it out for a short while longer as I know I have few other options.
I am due a thyroid blood test next week so if that's out of kilter then maybe that's why. It will be interesting to see.

Thanks for your replies.

Bubble:hugs:

BubbleBonce
06-07-10, 21:33
This just get's worse. I had the most awful nihtmare when I finally managed to drop off - fitfully. Back to the Docs for me. :weep:

Please can anyone else who has had this problem post? Thanks.

Bubble:weep:

ElizabethJane
07-07-10, 15:18
Dear Bubble I too have had sleeping problems whilst on the mirt. Nightmares are a common well documented side effect of mirtazapine. They are extremely depressing especially when you feel as if you have only just gone off to sleep. If I really can't sleep ie I have been lying there for over an hour or restless then I would definitely take a 3.5mg zopiclone. The only side effect I have found is that you tend to be a bit spaced out in the morning. It is advisable not to drive. I have not found a problem with taking mirtazapine and zopiclone. This can increase sedation and should be done with supervision from your doctor. I have recently finished a course of hypnosis to help with my sleep problems. I have been taught a self hypnosis induction with a cd. There are many good one on the market which will aid sleep and relaxation. The therapist has said that I need to do a 'winding down' technique before I go to bed. This might include a bath warm drink then doing the cd. He has said that I need to clear out all the days worries before I am able to go to sleep.I have a particular problem being unable to go to sleep when my husband goes away. I suffer from sleep paralysis, nightmares, hypnagogic hallucinations and sleep walking. Always consult your GP before trying any new course of treatment. I am sleeping better although some nights I still don't sleep well. My husband goes to Rome at the end of the month so I'll see how I get on then. Bubble I hope some of this is of use to you. EJ.

BubbleBonce
08-07-10, 12:10
Thanks for replying EJ. I love your garden pic btw EJ.:)
I am taking 15mg at night and 15mg in the morning now to see if that helps. Only 1 nightmare so far and I slept quite well last night after a hot bath. I will have to experiment. It seems strange as so many people get a good nights sleep. Makes me more suspicious it's my thyroid again.
On the up side I do feel more motivated so I am loath to give it up.

JD

ElizabethJane
08-07-10, 22:14
I hope that your sleep problems reslove bubble. I take 45mg at night. I am not a doctor but I would get your thyroid levels checked. My thyroid levels are checked three monthly when I have my lithium blood levels checked. I do hope that it works for you and mirtazapine.