PDA

View Full Version : CBT- Advice on finding a Psychologist privately

Munchkin
16-02-06, 16:03
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can offer me some advice.

I went to see my GP yesterday about a specific phobia I am suffering from. She suggested that seeing a psychologist and undergoing CBT would be the best route for me to take.

The waiting list on the NHS in our area is years...I cannot wait that long so I asked my doctor to look into going privately. The cost I was told would be £200 for the initial consultation, and £150 thereafter. I suffer from M.E also, and can't work due to my health so there's no way I can afford this.

I'm looking into other psychologists in my area, and have been phoning around...i've found many charge around £40-£60. The main question I have is is this too cheap?! I know it sounds a crazy thing to say but there seems to be such a difference in price I'm worried the 'cheaper' alternatives won't be as effective. Or are some psycologists simply being greedy and charging insane amounts?

One particular psychologist i'm looking into is regestered with The British Psychology Society www.bps.org.uk...is this is reputable organisation?

Ive looked at the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies www.babcp.org.uk but the only ones listed in my area are the 'expensive' ones at the clinic my doctor suggested.

I want to find someone who can help me and who knows what they're doing...should there be anything else I should look into before making a decision?

Thank you so much.

jos
16-02-06, 19:34
hi munchkin

i had the same problem this time last year after my gp suggested that i see a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression problems - a good friend is a clinical psycologist and recommended www.bps.org.uk as you have mentioned as the key place to look for a clinical psycologist - these can be expensive £50 - 60 an hour as they have extensive training - other types of psycologists ( i saw a chartered counselling psycologist - on the same directory under counselling for £40 per hour session)

the £200 sounds like a full-on private consultant psychiatrist/ psycologist which is not a first line of treatment if CBT has been recommended

if you have a local university with a clinical psycology course - they will have a list of counsellors/ psycologists - this is where i found mine - they will also offer cheaper services from trainees who may be very good. Also try local menal health charities who may have counsellors/psycologists and may have discounted rates if not working

The best one for you is the one you work best with so there is no knowing which is best until you see them - i saw three before deciding which to go with as was recommended by my psycologist friend and have worked with her on and off for a year until i had my last session in jan

if CBT is what you want make sure this is their approach - most will have a variety of approaches that can be blended as needed - you can also learn a lot about CBT from books or online which is a cheap introduction to the approach

don't expect sudden results - all they can do is help you develop the tools to deal with your problems yourself - but these can be amazingly powerful tools

don't be overwelmed by the search - its better to see someone sooner and decide later to work with someone else than to wait too long hunting for the best or cheapest psycologist - make sure you let them know you have financial constraints - they may be able to point you to someone cheaper who is suitable or pass you on to a trainee after an initial assessment

i'm sure you can find someone good for less than £50 a session - probably much less if you can get a concessionary rate from a charity

good luck in you search - its poor that the NHS is so poorly resoursed in this area and you have to search like this in times of distress

cheers jos

Munchkin
16-02-06, 19:58
Thank you for such a lovely and helpful reply, jos. I hope you found CBT to be of some help.

I will certainly look into the things you have suggested.

Does anyone else have anything to add on this? It seems we all seem to go down similar roads when trying to get some help. you are right though jos, it is wrong that getting help should be so hard and expensive...

jos
17-02-06, 00:49
munchkin

CBT and related approaches really helped me cope and learn to view the world in a much more reasonable way. My psycologist was the professional constant through the whole episode that lasted about a year. My GP was sympathetic but really had no time and i dabbled in other areas including acupuncture and herbal treatment.

the other area that i think was really useful was nutritional therapy - check out patrick holford's optimum nutrition for the mind- and i know exercise is difficult with ME but as a physiotherapist i knew that it was really important

good luck let me know how you get on - jos

andrew
17-02-06, 03:20
hi munchkin,

firstly do put yourself on the NHS waiting list, you dont know how long your need might last.

about costs, i think the majority of working ppl that get counselling is in the £40 - £60 area. and like most things cost doesnt guarantee quality. i always think the most important thing about anyone ive seen is that i feel comfortable sitting there talking and you'll only know that when you are sitting there doing it. you can always ask who you might see if they've got any relevant experience with cbt in helping somebody in a similar situation to yourself.

do try your local mental health charities like 'mind', if they dont have / run anything suitable for you, chances are they will be able to direct you to a suitable source and at a discounted rate.

you can also ask any professionals you contact if they can offer you any help at a discounted rate - it does happen.

there are self help options available as well, keep posting for starters. you might wanna try 'no panic', i think its £10 a year and they offer telephone based cbt, group and 1-2-1 and helplines for advice.

try and get as much support as you can, no point putting all your eggs in one basket. good luck, take care .. andrew

kate
17-02-06, 17:07
I picked up a leaflet from the library about 4 weeks ago regarding counselling that is available from a voluntary organisation. All of the counsellors are qualified and attend ongoing training to enhance their understanding of emotional issues.

I finally plucked up the courage to phone them today as I am going downhill fast, and have arranged an appointment for Monday. Best of all, they come and counsell you in your own home, each session lasts for 50 minutes and it's free.

Maybe there is something similar available in your area?

Kate

Munchkin
18-02-06, 14:59
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into that Kate...good luck to you on Monday, I hope you find it helpful.

I'm hoping to get something arranged next week, so I will post in this forum when i'm undergoing treatment in case it helps others too. thanks.

kate
18-02-06, 16:34
Thanks, Munchkin!

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Karen
18-02-06, 23:57
Well done for taking that step Kate.

Good luck for Monday. I willl be thinking of you.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

kate
21-02-06, 16:54
Thanks Karen.

Kate