PDA

View Full Version : Earwig...get it off me...

TheScribbler
06-07-10, 01:03
I am a 62 year old educated professional man with little fear of anything that life has thrown at me. However I have one irrational phobia that I have never been able to shake off for as long as I can remember - a horror of earwigs. I suspect that at some time in my dim and distant past I was a victim of a sting or bite but I simply cannot recall. However the loathing of the little beasts has been with me always. An otherwise normal and placid person, if I find an earwig on my clothes I do rather panic. It is ironic really. I should be much more concerned about spiders and wasps as I have developed an intolerance to their stings in recent years, but they don't really bother me. Any suggestions to addressing the fear would be helpful.

Granny Primark
06-07-10, 09:44
Omg your post has reminded me of an incident that happened 30 years ago.
Id got dressed went downstairs and my hubby asked me what was that crawling in my tights.
It was an earwig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think i must have screamed so loud it frightenened the neighbours.
I was running round the house tearing my clothes off screaming.
Then my hubby grabbed me and said stop being so silly and take your tights off!:blush:
Id always hated earwigs since me mum told me shed seen one go in my brothers ear and she had to get a clip and get it out.

Zee
06-07-10, 11:23
To the best of my knowledge earwigs don't sting or bite though they can give a little nip with their pincers..I would think there was a scare of some nature for you when younger with these creatures. Must admit I dont like them much either.

Vanilla Sky
06-07-10, 15:43
With me its bees and wasps , i run a mile :scared15:

Worrier
06-07-10, 17:38
Hi TheScribbler,

OMG your post reminded me of when I was younger. I always remember sports days at school and having to lie around on the grass waiting for each event to get done and having long hair, the kids always said, the earwigs will crawl up your hair, go in your ears and drive you mad. I will never ever forget those words and it was 40 something years ago.

I am absolutely terrified of wasps now though, and no matter how much someone says "just stand still" if they are flying around, r u kidding, I absolutely run and scream and shout and flail my arms like a crazy woman lol.

I guess we all have our little phobia's.

Take care
Natalie x

ackerman1989
25-10-10, 04:36
I understand where you are coming from. I have quite a fear of bed bugs.

Nigel
28-10-10, 13:48
Id always hated earwigs since me mum told me shed seen one go in my brothers ear and she had to get a clip and get it out.

Lynn... NOOOOOOOOooooooooooo................ :scared11:

I positively hate the little buggers! The way they look, the way they move, those menacing pincers...
They just look evil!

Dunno why :shrug:
I don’t mind picking up a spider – just so long as it’s not big enough to hear it’s footsteps – but an earwig... urghh!!
I have to tentatively scoop it up on a piece of paper and dash to the window with it... :madness:

Nigel

suzy-sue
28-10-10, 13:51
Dont like them either .When I was a child I was dreaming I had one in my ear and woke up to find I did ...:scared15:.....Look like mini scorpions to me ...:scared11: eeeekk vile little b**gers Sue