PDA

View Full Version : anxious new member

thorns89
06-07-10, 12:54
Hey Everyone,

I just found this site and thought I'd give it a go. I'm at a real low point right now and hoping for some help and insight.

I'm 20 years old and have been suffering from anxiety since I entered high school and depression since I enrolled in community college. When the depression started, I was prescribed to Xanax and Paxil. I hated the feeling of being on the meds. I was a workhorse but was by no means happy.

After two years on the medication, I eased off of them just this last February. My anxiety is worse than ever. Other than attending classes at community college, I'm finding myself becoming a recluse. I shut my self off from old friends and new acquaintances. I do however have a girlfriend whom I started dating one year ago (this began while I was still on the meds). Now that I'm off, I am constantly worrying she doesn't love my "true self." I feel like my relentless anxiety is getting in the way of our relationship. I love her and don't know what I'd do without her.

I'm transferring to a four year private university this fall. I've never lived away from home before. I'm terrified.

The panic attacks are becoming more frequent. I'm lonely because and depressed because my anxiety hinders my relationships. I'm starved to be close with others yet I can't seem to connect. My family can be very distant.

I find myself incapacitated for weeks on end. I just can't see these problems going away. I'm becoming bitter and hopeless because as long as I have this anxiety and depression my future seems bleak. I just have no confidence in myself anymore.

Anyway, I've said enough. I'll save the details for more specific postings. Thanks for listening everyone.

diane07
06-07-10, 12:58
Hi thorns89

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Vanilla Sky
06-07-10, 15:41
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: paige x