PDA

View Full Version : Breathing

omgwtf
07-07-10, 00:29
Hi there!

I have a problem with thinking about my breathing. It might be the thing I think about most of my every day and it might make parts of it really miserable. All I am constantly thinking about is "how am I breathing?" "why am I breathing like this?" "oh crap, now I am breathing differently, will I stop breathing?". I have tried to just relax and try to breathe normally, but it does not work all the time, sometimes I am just that worried that I think even when I calmly sit down "I am breathing really calmly, I think I will stop breathing."

I mean, the breathing thinking is like a virus, I cannot stop thinking about it! Hell, I think about it even a lot more than about sex :D Well but that is another story. Anyway, I am glad that I wrote this down. Made me feel kinda relieved. I think I might really need a psycho-therapy or something so I can get this breathing thing out of my head. Went to some doctors and my lungs and everything are perfectly fine.

Most of the time when I deeply think about something other than breathing I do not even notice it and I breath normally. But once I start thinking about my breathing, it is just unbearable and I sometimes breathe very weirdly. It came to a degree that I cannot get into the public transport because in there I breathe even weirder(no matter how absurd it sounds, this is what my messed up mind thinks). I sometimes solve it with beer but I know that it is just a temporary solution and I cannot get addicted to that stuff. Anyway, as I said, glad I wrote this down. I am even gonna say my real name so I will not feel ashamed :D

Cheers, thanks for reading this.

David

Going home
07-07-10, 00:40
Hi David. I'm assuming you sleep? If so, when you sleep your lungs must breathe a big sigh of relief because it sounds like this is the only time they can just do what they are supposed to do...without the worrying 'papa' controlling them :)

The feeling of not getting a good breath and 'examining' your breathing is one of the most common symptoms of health anxiety, and unless you've been told you have diseased lungs for any reason then please try to trust that your lungs are really good ones and let them do their job. If they breath well when you are asleep then they will breath well when you are awake...allow them to do that for you and you won't be disappointed.

Anna xxx

omgwtf
07-07-10, 00:45
Thanks for the kind words, Anna :)

You know, when I usually wake up while still a bit sleepy, I breathe exactly as you described, with no problems and worries at all. The moment I start to think about it is the trigger for it. You know, the phrase "If they breath well when you are asleep then they will breath well when you are awake...allow them to do that for you and you won't be disappointed." is really well put and I will try to remember it :) Thanks.

ladymama
07-07-10, 08:59
I have this and it is really bad today, I felt like it when I went to bed last night, slept absolutley fine woke up got kids ready for school and it started again just reading your post has made me feel a little better as I hope my reply does for you Lx

blueangel
07-07-10, 11:58
I get this from time to time as well, although it's a more recent anxiety symptom that I've only had for the past 2-3 years. It annoys me because I'd really like to try meditation, but you have to monitor your breathing, which I know wouldn't be helpful!

ronski
07-07-10, 18:03
Hi David

Breathing disorders and anxiety are a major aspect of panic disorder. You are certainly showing signs of an altered breathing pattern especially on your description of what happens when you use public transport. Now what comes first the chicken or the egg, in other words did your anxiety come first or your breathing problems. There is a condition not well understood by doctors because it is so subtle in nature but has devastating effects on a persons wellbeing and lifestyle. This condition is called Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome, completly different to the well known acute hyperventilation that we all know so well.

Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome changes your respiratory rate slightly but enough to change your acid based balance in your blood stream. Your blood changes to alkaline and in doing so gives you panic attacks, feelings you cannot get or attain a deep breath, feelings of suffocation or shortness of breath, palpitations,visual disturbances, dizziness, digestive complaints and a load of other symptoms and sensations.

Most people who have this syndrome usual are mouth breathers by nature, yawn a lot and or sigh. and in extreme cases have major exercise intolerance. They are also fixated by their breathing patterns because on hyperventilation over a period of time the autonomic nervous system is stimulated and gives anxiety symptoms and sensations.

Now my advice to you is to ensure you are breathing using your diaphram so make sure your breath comes from your belly not your upper chest, slow your breathing slightly trying for around 10-12 breaths a minute and never take a deep breath if you find your breathing is out as that just escillates the anxiety. lower your anxiety levels by using acceptance and meditation. I have had this condition for years so if you need any advice just e-mail me as I know how disabiling it can be and if left untreated it may cause Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which I have so I know how devastating this breathing disorder can be because of anxiety.

All the best
Ron