PDA

View Full Version : Muscles don't respond to thought to move them

Gareth
07-07-10, 10:00
Hi,

Does anyone else feel this incredibly weird and terrifying symptom...

I feel like since I've been feeling ill, I get this thing where it feels like the muscles in my arms and legs in particular aren't responding as quickly as they used to to thought / direction from my mind.

It's like my brain is still sending the signal to move a leg or an arm, or my head, or my hand, but the response is slow - marginally slower but noticably slower than before.

Especially in the morning... this morning I had a massive panic attack because I felt like I couldn't get out of bed, like I was too weak, and when I was standing trying to brush my teeth it felt like my body wasn't responding, like I wasn't connected to it and I would collapse at any moment.

I am on 30mg of Citalopram but I've always had this, well before I went onto the meds.

Anyone relate to this one at all?

Gareth

Gareth
07-07-10, 19:44
Just me then. Another clear sign that I definitely have ALS.

ladybird64
07-07-10, 21:07
Hi Gareth

You say these are "clear signs" that you are suffering from ALS, I disagree.

What you have described are symptoms that I have had in the past, particularly what seems to be slow responses.
I do not have Health Anxiety but generalised anxiety and agoraphobia so I did not feel the same concerns as you do, I just assumed it was part and parcel of an overworked nervous system and as I'm now much better anxiety wise, many of these annoying side effects have stopped.

The description you give about being unable to get out of bed and the weakness and fear of collapse..the main thing to focus on here is there were feelings that you had, the things you feared didn't actually happen.
You were able to get out of bed and you were able to stand and brush your teeth even though you felt like you would drop..you didn't collapse hun.

I used to get a feeling in my lower legs, particularly when standing still, it felt like from the knees down my legs were disconnected and would give way at any second-of course they never did. :)

I have also had a read about diagnosis of ALS..there are many other treatable neurological conditions that show the same symptoms anyway and you don't seem to fit the pattern of what I have read about.

Have you been to your doc to tell them your fears about ALS? It might be an idea to do so, get some reassurance.

Take care :flowers: