PDA

View Full Version : Desensitisation to vomit...... emetapobia!

fairyclairy
07-07-10, 17:58
Hi all,

Thought i would post a quick thread on here...

Iv been having CBT for a couple of months now and at first we worked on the panic attacks and knowing they are not harmful etc, and recently we have started working on the specific vomit phobia...
Its called desensitisation apparently, and it basically means you're exposed to whatever you are frightened off, so much so that you eventually become bored at looking/holding whatever it is...

Anyway, i had my doubts.. iv had this phobia for the last 11 years and it has really controlled me... i mean, extreemly got in the way of my life!! So when she said id be looking at pictures of vomit i laughed and said no way!!!

I went on Saturday and knew she had the pictures with her... she had printed them off the computer, laminated them and put them in an order of easy to hard... and surprisingly, i managed to do it!!! I freeked abit at the start but i knew it was just a panic attack so i rode with it... basically, i managed to hold these photos of vomit/people being sick, touch the photos, rub them on my face (sounds stupid i know) and basically stare in detail at these without ANY panic!!! I got bored... i kinda thought, its not that bad!!

I have brought the photos home and i have to look at them everyday, which i am doing without any hassle.

Dont get me wrong, my phobia is still there, strongly! But i really feel this is working... im not as freekd out anymore if i start to feel sick, so its definitly improved something!

She has worse photos next session, and then il go onto looking at videos on the internet of people being sick, she even has a recipe to make sick.... im positive it will work!

Just wanted to post it and let people know if they were interested in doing it at all, il keep u posted with how next session goes.. xx

Haruka
08-07-10, 22:21
:yesyes: Wow thats awesome! Good luck with that. I have gotten to the point where I can watch videos, but when people around me are getting sick, that is where I can't handle it.

Danath
09-07-10, 00:35
It is good to hear that desensitisation is being effective for you.

Lulluh
12-07-10, 13:50
Wow, this has given me much more confidence to give the go-ahead to my therapist so that we can start this! Thank you for sharing! :)

Lu x

fairyclairy
12-07-10, 13:53
I would definitly recommend it! Iv had this phobia for the past 11 years and its brought with it lots of other issues... panic attacks/agrophobia/health anxiety/slight social anxiety..... and after one session, i already notice a difference!

Let me know how you get on x

Lulluh
12-07-10, 15:46
Awh that's amazing, I will do!
Lu x

fairyclairy
17-07-10, 21:48
Well, today was my second lot of this de-sensitisation...

I had more pictures to look at... the worst ones in the hierachy from last session that we didnt manage to get to..

And they were pretty discusting! Today it was real like pictures of people being sick - one was a man slumped on the floor with vomit all down him, another was projectile coming out of someones mouth and the last one was a girl lying in her vomit.... i coped better than i thought! Anxiety only reached about 5 out of 10 and i didnt get into an actual panic attack which was positive!!

This really is working.... iv noticed a small difference since the first session, so hopefully itl start improving!

And also, iv just looked at more photos on my computer and jumped right in and looked at a video on youtube of someone being sick... LIVE! lol feel very proud of myself... i will beat this! And so can u...

I had a few things to do before my next session... i have to look at more pictures and videos, i have a recipe i have to make that looks like sick and a few other things!!

Just thought id keep u updated because id recommend it xx