PDA

View Full Version : Bad Memory - Forgetting Things?

JustBenn
07-07-10, 23:06
Hello

I have been doing really well lately untill i noticed that i have been fogetting things latly and have been having blank moments

I dont know what is happening with me.

I can only remember bits of what happend yestoday.
e.g I can remember eating breakfast and what i ate, I can remember going to the kitchen but i cant remember the things that happend while i was inside the kitchen, i allso cannot remember coming out of the kitchen, but i do remember i was in a rush because i didnt want to miss any of my tv shows.

I have trouble remembering some of the parts in a show or a film?

all i know is that this hasnt happend to me before or nor did i care if i didnt remember.

I can remember all the important parts of my life and day but i cant remember most of the things i did 2-3 days ago, but i do remember big meals or happy times just forget uniportant things.

another example

i remember drinking 5 glasses of water in 2 minutes
I dont remember switiching of the bedroom lights
i remember getting angry at my sister
i dont really remember what i said to her?

And when i try to recall my steps, i cant think properly and my mind wanders on a totally differnt subject? or maybe im not trying hard enough.

As the for blank moments, i just stare into space thinking of absulutly nothing?

Am i worrying about nothing?

Has anyone elce ever had this?
I know that people are different and have memory problems for lots of different reasens but im scared?

Please can somone with the same expirences as me help me out

blueangel
08-07-10, 09:41
Hi there

Not sure whether you're gonig to be about later, as you posted late last night, but our memories can get really badly affected by stress - and it's the short-term memory that seems to take a hit.

In any case, I just don't think it's possible for our brains to remember every small details of what we've done - there just isn't space or time. The things that we're most likely to forget, I've found, are the things that we do routinely every day, like putting the lights off when we leave the room, as these actions don't have a "trigger" to them. Some actions do have triggers, like opening the curtains in the morning; it's dark in the room, so it's a trigger to do it.

It sounds to me that you've become hyper-aware of your thought processes - all of us with HA seem to do this. We will focus on a part of our bodies that's worrying us, and then we can't seem to think about anything else. You're thinking about your thoughts, and whether you can remember your actions or not, so this has become your main focus.

I think there are lots of people on here who will report that their thinking patterns and memory are far, far worse when we are stressed or anxious. Have you had a chat with your GP about this? I'm sure he or she will be able to reassure you.

Kelley
08-07-10, 13:09
Been there alot myself! I have even been driving and for a split second the road seems unfamiliar! A distracted mind is probably a highly shared problem amongst most of us. Our minds are so internalised that we simply cannot allow minor things to be noticed. You just have to laugh at yourself really and accept that when you are feeling a little better your eyes will look forwards more!

Kel :)

JustBenn
08-07-10, 21:00
Heyyyy

Thank You both for leaving a reasuring post.
Helped alot to know that im not alone in this.

So do you think this is worth worrying about?

Kind Regards

OCD.SUX

blueangel
09-07-10, 00:14
Hi again

From what you're saying, to me you sound entirely normal for an anxious person!! :D

If you're still worrying about this in a week's time, go and have a chat with your GP about it, as there are some really simple tests that he or she can do to check out your memory functions - and I'm sure they'll be fine!

Charlee123
02-12-12, 11:31
im exactly the same, and then panic because i cant remember! x