PDA

View Full Version : Eating before taking citalopram

Hysteria
07-07-10, 23:31
Hi, I was just wondering if its the best thing to do this.

I know a lot of tablets say either with or without food.

Just recently I had to take anti biotics and it insisted that you do not eat for 1 hour after taking them.

While I'm taking citalopram 10mg at the moment I kinda feel nauseous afterwards and it seems to affect my reflux that I have (which doesn't help with digestion in the best of times)

So my question is do you think its better to eat a fair bit before you take them or is it better to take them on an empty stomach?

suzannacorfu
07-07-10, 23:35
Hi there, much better to take the Citalopram when you have eaten something. I always had a banana and a slice of bread before taking them.
Suz

YvonneBelle
07-07-10, 23:36
Eat definately. I take mine with breakfast - bowl of cereal, skimmed milk and banana. Never feel sick any more.

Hysteria
07-07-10, 23:45
Ahh right cheers! Thats where I've been going wrong. It wasn't as bad to be fair today, I had one slice of toast shortly before I took it to kind of line my stomach.

I'm not much of a morning eater at the best of times though so but thanks! Will have to force some weetabix down before I take one tomorrow

suzannacorfu
07-07-10, 23:55
Bananas are good for this Hysteria!! Milk too if you can drink some. I'm not a big morning eater either.
Suz

Raindog
08-07-10, 03:42
I didn't used to be a big one for breakfast, but following the advice of a pharmacist I started having a bowl of porridge on a morning, I take my Cit just before eating it. I make the porridge milky so it's like rice pudding with a squirt of honey to give it just a hint of sweetness and it's delicious.

oneofus
08-07-10, 08:51
I didn't used to be a big one for breakfast, but following the advice of a pharmacist I started having a bowl of porridge on a morning, I take my Cit just before eating it. I make the porridge milky so it's like rice pudding with a squirt of honey to give it just a hint of sweetness and it's delicious.

That's all very well, but if I had porridge I'd either have to do the washing up :-( or see my wife walk out the front door!

I've hear eating often and little can be useful though.

blueangel
08-07-10, 08:58
It certainly worked for me when I was on citalopram. I think most of the newer-style antidepressants seem to cause less gut problems if you take them with a bit of food.

purplelove
08-07-10, 10:54
Well I tend to take mine with breakfast so I have a routine where I take it at the same time each day and don't forget to take it. A few times I've forgotten to take it and have had to have it in the middle of the afternoon. When I first started taking them I was barely eating at all and I've never felt sick whether I've taken them with food or without.

Raindog
08-07-10, 11:39
Eating little and often is a good way to help lost weight too, it gets your body into the habit of not trying to extract every bit of fat from your food as it is in the routine of expecting more after a few hours. Eating just one or two big meals means it gets more into the habit of taking as much as it can from the food it gets as your system isn't sure when it will be getting any more while it's trying to burn it off. This is especially true of big meals on an evening, all the fat it takes from the food just ends up piling up.

With smaller meals and light snacks your body is happy to take what it needs as your system is in the routine of expecting regular intake of food so it doesn't try to hoard the fat for energy.

Hysteria
08-07-10, 11:43
Well this morning I've had two slices of toast and I took the tablet at 11

I have no nausea as of yet which is good, it would've usually started by now

Raindog
08-07-10, 11:45
I found the queaziness subsided after the first couple of days, now you just have to put up with the craving for Ikea furniture :D

YvonneBelle
08-07-10, 11:54
^^LOL

I agree with the theory of eating smaller meals throughout the day and taking regular exercise. It also keeps your blood sugar levels more steady.

I am currently snacking regularly throughout the day but not on junk. Just things like fruit, yoghurts, cereal bar, muller rice, toast. Although some chocolate occasionally it has to be said, and the other day I went a bit crazy on some liquorice allsorts...

Hehe