PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol success story - and info required

The Raven
09-07-10, 09:27
Hi there,

I am currently doing a diary of my experience taking Cipralex/Lexapro to fight my anxiety, depression and panic.

My problems began (although perhaps none of us ever know the real root causes) when I had to do a big pubic speech several years ago and I totallly froze in front of about 40 bemused people. It was one of the most horrible moments of my life and it then opened up all kinds of doubts, fears and anxieties which led to a full-on anxiety and depression battle which I have fought (and largely won I think) over a number of years.

Anyway...I am in the position again when I am in the fight once more and my usual weapon is the Cipralex mentioned above. However, at the same time the doc initiially gave me that drug to help my general anxiety he also gave me Propranolol to help with the speeches that unfortunately I cannot avoid in my line of work. And this, quoting from my diary thread is what happened yesterday...

"I was not exactly looking forward to yesterday. I was in a very long meeting where my input was very much required throughout and then in the evening I had to make a short speech (only about five minutes but nethertheless...) to about 70 odd people. Neither of these things are exactly good news in our state and as it was the panic of public speaking/public spotlight that triggered off my whole problems several years ago these are conditions which can bring me to a state of absolute panic.

Well it all went swimmingly and for that I may well give credit to the Propranolol which I was proscribed at the same time as I had my Lexapro. When I first saw my current doctor he game me Cip/Lex for the general anxiety condition and Propranolol for the sort of situation I faced yesterday but I didn't tend to take it much.

Well, yesterday, because I knew I needed my nerves calming as I had to 'perform' I took one about 30 minutes before my meeting and I was amazed and encouraged by how calm I felt throughout. My anxiety was really kept at bay and as the day grew so did my confidence. I have another biggish meeting today as well (it is that sort of week) so I will do the same I think.

I did read up a bit on Propranolol last night and it does seem to help a lot of people in our condition - particularly those with public speaking fear/social anxiety etc - but I haven't given it much thought before now. I found one site where meds were rated by users and people really rated it highly for fighting anxiety so perhaps I should take it more seriously. Does anyone else know much about it and its effects? "

I decided to put this on this side of the forum as well in case people come looking for Propranolol info and it may encourage them. But it is also to try and find out more info from those of you who use it. Could Propranolol be effective enough on its own to help my battle or does it need to be in connection with another drug?

Any help appreciated - but if the bit above just encourages someone else taking the drug that it can and seemingly does work then that is good enough for me.

Kind regards

Sam

Kerry B
09-07-10, 10:21
Hi Sam
I was put on Propranolol 40mg to be taken once a day, it has completely made my Panics Attacks a lot worse I am know having them every day as prior to taking this medicatin maybe once a week, It made me Dizzy and head rushes I could even hold my head over the bath the wash my hair nor look up. Apparantely it caused me to have low Blood Pressure, I was taken Cipralex at the same time also this was in April and now I am at my lowest and the tablets side effects where so terrible I thought I had a Brain Tumour. I am glad they work for you but they have wrecked my life.

clairabella
09-07-10, 11:19
hi sam....
ive been on propranol for 2 months and overall they have helped me no end....these are the only meds i take and i can honestly say i havent suffered major panic since i started on them.They stop the rapid heart rate and palpatations associated with panic attacks...these were the 2 things that triggered a full blown attack for me.Now i have them under control its hard for me to panic about them......the only down side i can say is since ive been on them ive been suffering from terrible head rushes...ive had tests to rule out any other problems and all came back fine.. so ive put it down to the beta-blockers.I think this is the price we have to pay...we are all aware that medications can cause some side effects so i guess we have to take the rough with the smooth!!!Anyway i will finish by saying propranolol as been a blessing for me... it took the awful panic attacks away, which in turn gave me back my confidence to get on with my life....obviously not suitable for everyone but definetly 100% works for me!!!