PDA

View Full Version : How do you rest the nervous system?

JoRo
10-07-10, 12:45
I keep reading that to help with the symptons of anxiety, you need to rest your nervous system. What does this mean exactly and how do you do it? Is it just trying to relax and get plenty of sleep? Any hints / guidance would be much appreciated.
Thanks

london
10-07-10, 13:32
no worrying a good sleep do things what make you happy
god bless

NoPoet
12-07-10, 18:27
Yes, a good night's rest and a nice lie-in the following morning is a good way. You would also need to let off steam by enjoying hobbies, having a laugh etc, just dropping your worries for a while. That's the best way by far to recover from stress and nervous exhaustion.

Danath
12-07-10, 19:46
I find that having a bath with some nice bath stuff in as hot as you can stand helps a lot.

annette1
17-07-10, 06:46
I've found deep breathing & self-talk, replacing negative thoughts with positive ones, the most helpful.
Also, finding out what is causing your anxiety. I have done focusing therapy with my psychologist, you think about the place where you feel your anxiety, for me its in my stomach, then sitting quietly alow yourself to acknowledge your thoughts, many things will come up, most of them you will be able to say ' I know about that & its not really a worry, I'll deal with it later' then one thought will come up & you'll know its the one causing anxiety, allow that one to stay & study it, where has it come from, what is its purpose, eventually you will uncover the layers of your thoughts & find the root cause of them then you can work on reducing its impact.
I hope that makes sense, there are many books on the subject on Amazon.

JoRo
17-07-10, 08:21
Thanks everyone for your comments.
Annette - I'm currently waiting for CBT, so hope I will explore what you recommended with a counsellor. Is there a particular book I should read, or should I wait until I start therapy?

absentia
17-07-10, 11:13
Hi JoRo,

I just made a post in this thread quite simular to the answers you are looking for...
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=684362#post684362

isaacjames
21-07-10, 18:48
Just do that activities which you like most like listening music, games, surfing and so on. Due to that activity you can take the interest in any subject and refresh your mind constantly.