PDA

View Full Version : Breathing/tightening feeling?

fairyclairy
10-07-10, 13:27
Yesterday i was sat in work at my desk talking to a work mate and i suddently felt this really weird feeling... i suddenly felt like i couldnt breathe and felt soo tense/tight around the top of my back.. i totally freeked and made my excuses to nip out to the shop and i just felt like i couldnt breathe.... i cant really describe the feeling but it was awful. Felt like i was completely loosing control and could picture myself having an asthma attack or something worse!! I drove around for abit trying to calm myself down and i managed to control it abit... but then i had to go back to work to pick my bag up cos it was time to leave and i felt awful again... really shaky, thinking i couldnt breathe, heart was racing etc... I knew that was a panic attack but i still cant help but wonder if the first symptom (the feeling of being unable to breath and tight feeling) was something worse.. which then brought on the panic attack.
Or if the whole thing was just another panic attack?

I feel on edge today and worrying about that symptom happening again - dont wana go out incase it happens!

Can anyone reassure me about this? Thank you x

sb001f8994
10-07-10, 14:02
Hi,
I often get a feeling like I cant get enough air into my lungs, like they have shrunk! Its really difficult to explain and I put it all down to anxiety. I think we are so in tune with our bodies the leastest change and we automatically think the worse. Another stupid thing I do is get my heart rate up because I cant feel it, Im so used to feeling my heart beat, either strongerly or the occasional palp that if it is nice and relaxed I dont like it and fear its stopped!
I think what you felt yesterday was just one of the thousands of symptoms anxiety shows itself and if you can try and ignore it it wont happen again but we tend to think about it over and over again so it will indeed happen again.
Try not to worry, easier said than done I know but, as you know worrying about it only makes it worse.
Take care,

fairyclairy
10-07-10, 17:41
Thank you for your reply Carol, it has reassured me alot.
You'd think after 11 years of these, id be used to all the symptoms by now lol

I too get that heart thing... its normal for me to feel it racing so much, so when its beating normally i think something is wrong?! Stupid isnt it.. xx