PDA

View Full Version : Will PTSD ever leave me?

vorpalblade
18-02-06, 09:27
Will it?
Will i ever be rid of the flashbacks?

darkangel
18-02-06, 10:20
Have you tried EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) it can make a huge difference to coping with the flashbacks.

........life is for living not just for surviving

kate
18-02-06, 10:30
If your PTSD relates to a very bad experience then I'm not sure whether the memory of it will ever leave you totally. BUT, with the right counselling and support then you should find, in time, that the memories become easier to live with and don't cause you such extreme distress.

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

vorpalblade
18-02-06, 10:47
thanks for replying

i;ve never heard of EFT.
i am in psychotherapy at the moment, and the flashbacks are getting almost unbearable, perhaps it is because i have opened Pandora's box

Karen
18-02-06, 23:06
Hi Blade

Sounds like things are difficult for you. I have PTSD and the flashbacks are particularly horrible. However, there is hope of things improving.

I had help from a hypnotherapist who used a method called the Rewind Technique (http://www.rewindtechnique.com/). It is also sometimes referred to the as Fast Phobia/Trauma Cure (http://www.psychotherapy-center.com/nlp_phobia_trauma_ptsd_treatment.html)

This technique is a really comfortable treatment to have because there is no need to talk or think about the painful memories and it is all done from a dissociated stance.

I used to suffer from constant nightmares and frequent flashbacks, but following this treatment I have only had one flashback in the past year and the nightmares are far less frequent. The memories are still there; it is just that some of the painful and distressing emotion has been removed.

Perhaps this is something your could ask your therapist about.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

vorpalblade
19-02-06, 09:01
thanks Karen, sounds interesting, will check it out

Blade

Shaz
26-03-06, 18:05
Hi Blade,
The flashbacks I suffered were greatly improved by using a neuro linguistic programming technique, which reprocesses your memories in a disassociated way. It seems bizzare, but it has made such a difference to me.

Shaz

What cannot be fitted into your day, cannot be done - forget about it!