PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a story and seeking advice

CE3K
11-07-10, 15:54
Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the Forum.
I've joined up here, having fairly good experience of having to cope with symptoms of anxiety a few times in my life (although none for the last 5 years). I might add that I made a decision 10 years ago that I would never, ever again be sucked in to taking prescribed medication (SSRIs), as the side effects made my symptoms far far worse!
The reason I've joined is that a few months ago, I 'had a turn' in work and ended up in hospital for 24 hours. I had had slightly slurred speech and felt unwell. My blood pressure reading was initially 225/119. I had a CT scan and lumbar puncture and various blood tests (which showed raised cholesterol). I was put on preventative blood pressure tabs, a statin and an aspirin a day. The theory was that I may have had a TIA. Subsequently, my echocardiogram and carotid dopler results showed no abnormality.
Flash forward a couple of months and I experienced a week of waking early in the morning and with some mild anxiety symptoms. I took a few days off work, went swimming and things passed and I was back to work.
Flash foward to a few weeks ago and I became unwell during a meeting. I was absolutely fine in the morning, but came over very hot, had tinnitus and felt unsteady on my feet. I might add that my pulse was normal, I wasn't hyperventilating, but I did eventually start to feel I needed to leave the room (which i did and splashed some water over my face in an attempt to cool down). Nevertheless, after trying another 10 minutes in the meeting, I had to leave.
I went to the docs and she said "some sort of vasovegal episode' which should pass by the next day.
It didn't. I went back again and another doc signed me off for two weeks with 'vestibular neuronitis, hypertension (177/112) and acute stress reaction.
I went back to work on reduced hours for a week or so, then back full time last week.
During work time, I was reasonably fine at my desk and with my team that I manage. However, I guess I started to experience 'anticipatory anxiety' with respect to having to have a meeting with someone. I had a few 'episodes' where I felt similar symptoms, but just about managed to get through them.
I had a really good day Friday just gone (although throughout this time I still had some balance issues and tinnitus and generally feeling tired). Then yesterday, I went to have my haircut (which is usually a very relaxing experience for me) and lo and behold, I became very hot inside (ok it was quite warm outside as well!), felt more giddy and then started to feel as though I had to leave (again, no hyperventilating or increase of pulse etc). They got me a cold towel and I managed to stick it out. But it left me feeling drained and this has continued today.
I really do know I've not been feeling physically well throught recent months, but I feel really annoyed that I also recognise some very unpleasant (what I would call), anxiety/stress emotions.
What I don't know, or can't make my mind up about, is whether the latter are as a result of something else (e.g. vestibular neuritis, hypertension, tinnitus) or whether this whole thing has always been down to stress/anxiety.
At this point in time, I'm waiting for an appoitment with an ENT consultant (two weeks away) and already feeling 'concerned' that I don't really feel like going to work tomorrow ('anticipatory anxiety I guess).
If anyone has any comments, I'd be pleased for them or any advice.
Thanks
Roger

nomorepanic
11-07-10, 15:55
Hi rmh

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Vanilla Sky
11-07-10, 21:04
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x

Marginalia
12-07-10, 09:51
Roger - given you've had a couple of scary episodes at work it would seem quite natural (humans are so good at learning by association) that you might have some anticipatory anxiety. Whether you also have symptoms due to an underlying medical issue will have to wait until you have the expert opinion on, but you may as well work on the stress hypothesis because the mind and body are so intertwined.

It seems to me a good sign that you are self-aware and wanting to understand what is happening with you. From reading your message the only step which seems missing (and it might just be because you didn't include it), is: have you decided what you will do (a) if you start feeling the hotness or other symptoms coming on or (b) to reduce your stress/anxiety in general. Have you got some strategies and tactics?

From what you have mentioned so far:
cold towel helped (so could you look into more ways to cool down - a thermos with ice, a fan, less clothing, open windows etc.)
taking time off work (something you can consider if you really need it - but think what was it about not being at work which helped - are there things at work which could have triggered your stress levels - is it significant that it happened in a meeting? Is it the closed room or some lack of control of what people might say or the atmosphere for instance?
going swimming - can you make more time for physical exercise?

Is there anything else which helps you feel relaxed? Did the doc/hosp give you any advice about what to do if you think you are getting another episode? If not, ask.

Since you are prone to anxiety generally...have you tried counselling? A lot of people here have had good results with CBT. You could try books on it too. But you have to find out what works for you (clearly medication wasn't the right thing for you - but research shows that CBT is just as helpful for the average person but the effects last longer). Other people benefit from different kinds of therapies. Sometimes anxiety can be a drive to recognise things which you need to change in your life, to be happier.

Good luck and continue looking after yourself as you are doing well at a difficult time,
Min