PDA

View Full Version : volunteer work

puppyskin
11-07-10, 23:25
i start volunteer work tomorrow and im really anxious something will happen,panic attack heart attack collapse dizzy confusion etc....i think you get the picture,not sure if im ready for it yet as it is 5 miles from home and 2 bus journeys away,any advice please.

Sammy J
11-07-10, 23:39
I went through a similar thing to you in April, changed my career completely after many years in the same job. I have an hours bus travel each way, alone, and had to deal with not knowing anyone and lots of training. I also went from working part time to full time.

It was alot of pressure to put on myself but wanted a fresh start. I also suffer from panic attacks, think I'm having heart attacks daily, go dizzy etc.. it has ruled my life for over 2 years.

I'll be honest, I have had a couple of funny spells where I've thought I'm going to faint, had chest pain etc, but am learning to deal with it, and these episodes are alot less frequent than they were. My advice is gets lots of sleep, take an Ipod or book on the bus journeys and try and focus on the job in hand and not how you are feeling.

The funny thing is, I now work in a hospital and thought I'd feel better being in a 'safe' environment, e.g. ''the doctors will help me'', but it isn't like that. I'm there to work not grumble about myself.

Best of luck Puppyskin, you will be fine :)

puppyskin
11-07-10, 23:46
thanks for your reply,if i could fully accept its just an anxiety disorder i wouldnt worry half as much,i always think its something more sinister,like when you get a new symptom its so hard to ignore,thanks again.

Going home
12-07-10, 00:02
What will you be doing puppyskin? it sounds like its something you really want to do so good luck to you.

Anna xx

puppyskin
12-07-10, 00:21
its volunteering for dove house in the warehouse,its something i need to do for my own health as well as helping others too,my days over the last 6 months have been very unproductive constant worrying about myself,but i really really want to turn my life around.

Going home
12-07-10, 00:34
Well done you, see...we're stronger than we know!

Anna xxx

valleybear
12-07-10, 16:35
puppyskin................hope by now you have had a good day at Dove and that your volunteer work brings you satisfaction. I know it is difficult to begin with, but the more you manage without any ill effects,the more confident you will become. I do volunteer work now and it has really helped me to focus on things other than my health/anxiety etc. Wishing you all the best.......have been thinking of you. XX:yesyes:

puppyskin
12-07-10, 17:13
hi,thanks for your kind thoughts,was only for a few hours but i managed i think.didnt feel to bad until i heard some guy saying his gran felt a pain in her neck and then died of a heart attack....argghhh.just the mention of the word can set me off,but i guess ive gotta desensitize myself to the big bad world.anyway i got through it which is the first step i think.thanks again.Andrew.x

jill07
12-07-10, 20:26
Good on you mate, you did it, even though you knew it would be hard... as frightening as it is you're not letting the anxiety beat you - keep it up xxx