PDA

View Full Version : EMLA Cream

AdamM
12-07-10, 13:43
Hello,

I am due a blood test tomorrow, for which I bought some EMLA cream for.

Please can anyone tell me if by applying this, you literally feel nothing during the blood test or do you still feel the needle once it's got through the skin?

I think that knowing what to expect will comfort my nerves a bit!

Cynthia K. McIntosh
06-03-23, 15:19
EMLA cream is a topical anesthetic that contains lidocaine and prilocaine. It is commonly used to numb the skin before medical procedures, such as blood tests. When applied correctly, EMLA cream can effectively numb the skin and reduce pain or discomfort during the procedure.

However, it is important to note that EMLA cream does not completely eliminate all sensation in the area. You may still feel pressure or a slight pinch when the needle is inserted. Some people report feeling a cold sensation as well.

The effectiveness of EMLA cream may also vary from person to person. Factors such as skin thickness and sensitivity can affect how well the cream numbs the skin.

Overall, EMLA cream can help reduce pain and discomfort during a blood test, but it may not completely eliminate all sensation. It is always a good idea to discuss any concerns or questions with your healthcare provider before the procedure.