PDA

View Full Version : OMG SEVERE neck spasms/pain - off work! Help!

Neen
12-07-10, 15:46
Right just to fill you all in. I have posted a few threads on here regarding my 'lump in the throat sensation' So I had my ENT appointment Friday gone. Had the Nasoendoscopy (horrid) and they saw nothing. Apart from slight 'redness' right hand side and it will be caused by reflux. LPR (silent reflux - as I get NO atypical symptoms of Acid Reflux or GERD. Anyway I have to have a Barium Swallow to 'rule' out anything untoward ( I think she just done it for peace of mind) So she prescribes me some PPI's and I start taking them. I thought things were SLOWLY getting better. The 'lump' had begun to vanish or it didn't feel like a pill/peanut any more; however still VERY aware of my throat.

So the weekend comes, I am camping at my partners work BBQ. Have a few too many sherberts and hit the sack at 3.00am. My partner comented on that it's the happiest he has seen me in months (christ knows how he would react if he had this 'lump' in his throat) He doesn't really understand - bless him. So the next morning I feel terrible. Neck feels terrible. Sorry I forgot to mention for the past 3 weeks I have been experiencing a dull ache on the right side of my neck as well as the lump. Everything is on the right. Severe muscle pain - well that's how it feels? It was terrible yesterday.

I've had to phone in sick today (1st time) had an emergency docs appointment. They gave me more Codeine :yesyes: but that makes you constipated and I don't really want to take all these pills! PPI's, Codeine and a bloody ear spray as the doc said my right ear looks a bit infected :ohmy: I was like look I have NO pain in my ear. It's my neck, base of skull and right shoulder. I'm so scared this is something untoward. The lump is really present today. Feels very typical Globus Hystericus. I'm so fed up with feeling like this. Doc said I have severe tension and to try yoga! Then to come back in a week if still as bad :weep: I have been signed off for the week. So pissed off.

Symptoms:
Dull ache all along the right side of my neck
Pain under mandiable - right side
Sometimes pain behind ear - right side
Pain at the base of my skull
Pain at the top of right shoulder
And a bloody choking feeling in my throat now :mad:
Right sided headache

Does anyone else get all these symptoms and are they just tension? Please help me? I can't cope anymore.... this is ruining my life, relationship and quality of living. Please help.....

Nina xx

ditzy
12-07-10, 18:27
Nina I feel for you I really do. Sounds like I went through a similar thing to you nearly 2 years ago. Is it a lump that you feel is there all the time or only when you swallow? Do you feel it when you eat or does it get better when you eat?

Mine started out of the blue one day when I suddenly thought I could feel a lump in my eosophagus when I swallowed (about an inch down from my adams apple). Over a couple of weeks I got obsessed by it and was constantly swallowing to 'check' if it was still there or not. Then it started to affect my eating I was sure that the food was getting stuck on its way down and that I was burping a lot of it up (I'd never had this before). Over the period of about a month I obsessed about this thing and it gradually got worse and worse to the point where I was convinced (and I mean convinced) that it was cancer and I wouldn't listen to 3 different doctors who all told me there was no way it was anything sinister.

It took over my whole life too and completely changed my personality I felt I was detached from the whole world and that I was about to die and that no one was listening to me or taking me seriously. The last straw was when I had almost a week of completely sleepless nights and 2 days of excruciating back of neck, shoulder and back pains (which I thought were all due to the cancer) that I went to the doctor a complete wreck and she gave me tranquilizers. Sure enough after 2 days on these I was suddenly aware that the 'lump' was gone that I had no problems eating anymore and all the upper back/shoulder pains had gone aswell.

And they never came back again after that, 2 months later I had a nasal endoscopy like you just to check everything ok and it was they couldn't find anything.

That was the start of my health anxiety and I am fighting another bout of it at the moment (totally different symptoms this time nothing to do with lump in throat).

I'm not saying that this is definitely what you have but that experience taught me how powerful the mind is and how it can literally 'make up' symptoms that aren't even there. If you focus on something that much and obsess over it constantly then the mind will just multiply it fifty times over. The more I read about eosophagul cancer on the internet the more 'symptoms' I got (even a burning feeling after I swallowed) - this just didn't exist I really didn't have it it was the mind playing tricks. And the pain that I had was purely due to tension where I had constantly been clenching my shoulders (without even knowing it) for days probably weeks.

The lady who did my nasal endoscopy told me that she would be able to tell if there was anything untoward going on further down into the eosophagus aswell (she could tell by my swallowing mechanism or something). It really doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about they would have been a lot more concerned if they would've seen something dodgy. The barium swallow I think is to check for barretts eosophagus which is where it gets inflamed by constant reflux but that's nothing to worry about it's not life threatening.

I am sure there is absolutely nothing wrong with you and sounds like the neck thing is definitely tension and your doc certainly doesn't sound concerned by it. I know exactly how you're feeling and what you're going through Nina it's so hard isn't it when you feel like you're losing all control on your life and the 'thing' just takes over.

Has your doctor put you on any depression/anxiety medication or talked about it?

Nic x x:)

Neen
13-07-10, 12:31
Hi

Thank you so much for your words of wisdom. You do start to feel as though you're the only person in the world that actually feels this way. The lump is mostly always there. It can change how it feels though. Like sometimes it can feel like a lump, then the next a pill is lodged, then debris is lodged, then feels as though food is getting stuck. Today it feels like food is getting stuck; however eating usually helps!

The neck pain is still there, my whole neck now feels stiff. I'm popping Codeine when it hurts the most. I'm off work all week and then back at the GP's Friday. It's so scary as now I'm freaking out about the food getting stuck - however the rational side of me (the little bit left I have) is like she would have seen something with the scope. My head is pounding and I'm going to see a Holistic Therapist today for an Indian Head massage. I need to try all different ways to help.

I was very stressed and anxious last night, as I had an argument with my partner. He doesn't understand. I ended up balling and telling him to leave as he made me feel worse. It was horrid. Then I was a complete bitch and called him all the names under the sun, then he felt guilty and all that stress, tension was for nothing. He trys to understand but I know he doesn't. he don't do ill. Or rather he is scared of 'illness' himself. Hates hospitals and the thought of getting old; however my hubby is a ver 'keep it to himself' kind of person. You have to drag it out of him....

Anyway thank you for replying. It always helps when you know you're not the only one. I hope I can work next week; however I will not force myself and then have to be off again. This is such a horrid feeling. I feel quite dizzy and detached from the world. With the feeling of something stuck in my throat. I can't stand it.....

Nina x

ditzy
13-07-10, 17:39
I'm sorry to hear it is starting to affect your relationship it did mine too when I had my really bad episode. It is so hard because at my worst I just had complete tunnel vision and couldn;t concentrate on anything else (couldn't even watch tv) and it didn;t help that my hubby didn't really understand - he kept telling me not to be silly and it was all in my head etc. With hindsight he was right but at the time no amount of people telling you that is going to make you listen or change your mind - as far as I was concerned I had cancer and that was it.

I was lucky as I found it a lot easier to talk to my mum about all this (god knows what I would have done without her) and still do. She went thru exactly the same thing at my age (so did my sister although a diff type of anxiety not health) must run in our family! She can tell then and can now aswell that all I was suffering from was anxiety but at the time I dismissed it totally and wouldn't believe her - my symptoms were real and there was no way it was possible for the body and mind to make up all that stuff - right?

It sounds like what you have is definitely globus hystericus you have the classic symptoms. The fact that you now feel food is getting stuck is probably just coz I mentioned it in my post yesterday and it may have got your brain to thinking on that now. You wouldn't suddenly just one day have food getting stuck. Besides they would defintely have found something in the nasoendescopy that you had if there was a problem.

As for getting rid of it that's the hard one. From personal experience all it needed for me was short low dose course of diazepam and that sorted me out completely (the state I was in if I hadn't have had it I would have gone doolally I reckon). I was also prescribed yesterday doxepin (a form of tricylic antidepresant) works as a mild relaxant too and in one night it has already worked wonders - got my first decent nights sleep in a week and pains in back and shoulder have almost gone (just goes to show this must all have been due to tension). This may not be an option for you though so I reckon the best thing you can try and do is find something to relax you. The head massage you are having is a great idea - I am sure your neck pain is all due to tension too. My mum swore by yoga when she was recovering as it really helps with relaxation and breathing techniques.

You have to try telling yourself over and over 'this is uncomfortable for me but it is not harmful in anyway' - once you stop focusing on it so much I am sure you will find it will just go away eventually of it's own accord. Easier said than done I know!

I hope you make it up with your husband - just remember it is hard for him too, people who have never suffered cannot understand.

Good luck keep posting to let us know how you're getting on.

Nic x

juleswill
14-07-10, 12:52
I don't know if this is any help but I've been going through something similar for about a week. Mine started with a dull ache on the right side of face and neck with a full blocked feeling in right ear. I know from a scan 11 years ago I have a narrower tube from nose to ear on that side so wasn't massively worried. I went out Sat night and had more than a bottle of wine and whilst drinking it all seemed to go away. Sun was a different story though, severe pain all down right side of face, ear, throat, lightheaded and unable to function. I know some of it would be hangover and anxiety also gets high with a hangover but since then I've been alternating between bad headaches with tight neck & shoulders on the right side and a scary feeling of numbness down the right hand side of my head, face, arm and leg.
Went to the doc yesterday but she just gave a nasal spray assuming it's my ear but couldn't see anything in there. Of course I made a terrible mistake googling and came up with some awful things that have now made my anxiety spin out of control and the symptoms probably much worse than they would be. Before all this I'd been doing well for a couple of months but this whole right sided thing seems weird and I can't get my head around it.
As for the throat mine is not so much a hard lump feeling (although I've had this during a p.a) but a sort of full/blocked feeling on the right side of my throat.
Anyway, I'm back to the Claire Weekes book again and really trying to relax.

Neen
14-07-10, 13:33
Hi there,

Isn't it weird we both felt terrible after alcohol? I mean I knew some of the symptoms were a hangover but that aching feeling all down right side was dreadful. The Monday was even worse - hence why I'm off sick. Today I woke with a headache on the right side, also pain at the back of my head. I woke feeling sick too. I've had 2 codeines and they haven't touched the pain. Not even a severe pain - really dull ache. It also feels as though I'm a bit blocked on the right???? When I went to docs Monday, he said my right ear looked infected and have I had any problems. I said no! None what-so-ever! He poked it and said did that hurt, I said yes a little and he went on to prescribe a spray!!

So yesterday I had an itch in my right ear and to my horror no wax was on the ear bud but blood!!! OMFG was my reaction! I'm back at docs Friday. I want a MRI. this is affecting my life, my relationship, my career and generally everything around me! This isn't normal! Pain is a warning something is wrong! Codeine hasn't taken this pain away. Does tension percist like this for days??? Do you wake up with a tension headache? I just don't know. This is scaring me so much. The lump doesn't feel like a lump today. As you describe it feels 'full' I'm very aware of it. I just wish the docs would take me seriously. I have a prescription for diazepam but I can't even face getting dressed and going out! My head hurts, feels heavy, feel detatched and my neck hurts!!

Do you think I'm crazy for asking the doc for a scan?? I'm within my rights aren't I? I mean I have symptoms that surely warrant a scan! They shouldn't keep palming this off and diagnosing without running tests?! I had to really push for my ENT appointment. I had to push for blood tests (thyroid and full blood count) now I will have to push again for scan. I'm so worried that they're palming this off, not giving me proper tests and something deadly inside my head and throat is growing and will become terminal because they keep telling me it's tension, it's stress, it's anxiety

N x

juleswill
14-07-10, 16:34
I know what you mean with the doctors as for me I think since I ran in screaming with the biggest panic attack last Sept they would consider any further investigation a waste of time and money. Once you have anxiety on your notes it's the first thing they think.
It's really really difficult and I've been in tears the last few days but you have to try to ignore the pains and sensations in an attempt to relax your neck, shoulders & nerves that have become so tight. If you then start to feel just a bit better you can see what this wretched anxiety can do to a body.
Painkillers haven't been working for me either but last night when I had terrible aching up the back of my head, neck and all across the eyes I heated up my daughters wheat/lavender bear in the microwave and rested my neck on it. This actually took some of the pain away which shows that at least some of it is stress & tension. Still have the numbness down the right side and full ear & feel totally exhausted but am just trying to ignore it.
I'm in a relationship with a really chilled out attentive guy but this still hasn't stopped him getting angry & upset with me. We've had loads of rows about it firstly because unless you've had it you can't really understand and secondly, when my anxiety is high it makes me very irritable and snap at the slightest thing.
My friend went through all this a couple of years ago and he says if something is really worrying you & you're getting no help then forget about doctors and go straight to A&E where they will have to take you seriously. If it would make you feel better then this is a quicker way of doing it.
Oh yeah and another thing that's keeping me from losing it is that my last major anxiety attack & crisis was after a week of worrying about chest & back pains which I was convinced was heart or lung cancer. After a week of pain, non stop death thoughts and sleepless nights my body gave up and I had the biggest panic attack & was left drained & put on beta blockers for a few days. It turned out that I had muscle tension from being hunched over a computer.

juleswill
14-07-10, 16:40
Also meant to say, don't worry about the blood on the cotton bud as that could be from just being sore after doc looking in ear or even you prodding around your ear. I've had that with ear & nose so seriously don't worry.

Neen
14-07-10, 19:08
Thanks so much to you both! It really helps to hear from others. Makes me feel like I'm not going mad! I've been to A&E! About 4 weeks ago. I'd had had enough. My lump in the throat feeling felt as though it was choking me. So off I trot with my mum (bless her she has/is wonderful) I was in tears! They weren't crocodile tears. These were real, stressed out, to the point of panic tears! They saw me quite quickly. They did an ECG! I was like it's my throat not my heart! But as I had complained of chest pain too, they carried out the ECG.

They never offered an Naso Endoscopy ( which I had the other day) they carried out a few examnations, told me they couldn't see Anthony and sent me on my way. Telling me to take codeine and wait for ENT appointment! I've kind of lost all faith in them. Luckly I work in a hospital on a Maxillo Facial unit. I'm a dental nurse. I've had all the consultants look in my mouth/throat. Had them feel for lumps etc. They all say I say ouch and flinch when they touch the muscles! But I had never experienced the pain I have since Sunday. Maybe my body just thought f&*k this I've had enough?? I know I've had enough.

My lump feels like bloody debris, something is stuck. Hubby took me for something to rat when he come in from a hard day at work. While I was still in PJ's and dozing on and off all day signed off made me feel really guilty. And the fact he sent me a lovely text asking where his smiling, happy Nina had gone!!! And that he would do anything for me, made me feel so guilty :-( don't get me wrong we can argue! Or me rather! He's dead laid back but I can be a nasty bitch. It's not his fault, he doesn't understand where his 'usual Nina' has got too! And nor do I! Thanks for all your help, support and kind words

Neen x

ditzy
14-07-10, 20:17
Neen if you have a prescription for diazepam take it! It will calm you down and relax your muscles and I'm sure it'll get rid of most of your symptoms. It won't do you any harm give it a try.