PDA

View Full Version : Do i have Social Anxiety or Agoraphobia?

Jamie1990
12-07-10, 16:06
ok so here is my story...

I am 20 year years old male from Glasgow

As a child i was always seen as the "shy" one.... the "quiet" one.
I was an introvert child, and enjoyed playing by myself.
I never had a problem interacting with other children, i just preferred to play by myself.
At primary school i was a good hard working enthusiastic student.
I had a few friends who i grew up with.

I then went to High School were everything changed.
I became a lot more confident and outgoing. I met so many new friends.
I became a little overconfident actually.

I wasn't a very good student at high school. I would drink out in the streets with my friends and smoke cannabis with them. This went on right through my school years.

Until i turned 16. I left school. I never had any best friends. I had lots of friends and we used to socialize in a group. So when i left school i lost that group. I fell away from most of them, except two.
These two friends would come visit me at my house and we would smoke cannabis all day.
After about a year i kinda fell away from them too. They both found new friends and we drifted apart.
i was left on my own...... Still smoking cannabis everyday!

After about a year of smoking cannabis and not working and not having a social life, i became isolated from society. I was feeling depressed and paranoid and anxious. I knew all of these feelings were because of my drug taking. I was being given the drugs by someone who shouldn't have being giving me them, but i always take responsibility for my own actions.

I then knew that i had to stop smoking the cannabis. And i did! Just like that...

the symptoms did go down a little, but didn't disappear altogether.

During the next few years i was in and out of work, not being able to keep a job for longer than 6 months. I have had NO friends since about 16,17! I don't do much to be honest.

Then last year i took part in a government funded scheme to send me to a developing country to live and volunteer. Pretty much like the american corps. I went and had the best days of my life.
I was a completely different person. I met so many new friends and was just enjoying life.
but that was only temporary. It last for 3 months and then i came home.

I came home to find all my problems waiting for me again.

I came back to the UK last October 2009 and since then i have not been working...
I still have no friends or social life. And i hardly ever go outside.

As mad as it sounds.... with these symptoms i never once thought i had something wrong with me.
I just thought that it was normal or something... i dunno really...

But i have recently looked into social anxiety and agoraphobia and i am starting to believe i may suffer from both.

So i will try to list all of my symptoms.

I hardly ever venture outside.
I only go outside if i really have to. e.g. If i go to get my haircut, i get really anxious about what i will wear and how i will get to the barbers and how i am going to get back and what if i bump into an old friend. I usually take about 2,3 days of planning it.

I get nervous of going out into the garden to collect the washing from the rain in case my neighbors see me.

I get really anxious and nervous when a family member is coming to visit me. I live with my parents,bro and sister and i am completely fine around them. But if an aunt or uncle,cousin is visiting i usually take myself upstairs to my room until they have gone.

I don't like to answer or speak on the phone.
I don't like to answer the door.

When i do decide to go outside for whatever reason, i get extremely self conscious. I try on all different clothes and have to push myself to go out. I hate walking in the streets as i get very self conscious and anxious. I hate waiting for a bus and then getting onto the bus in case someone who knows me will see me.

When i do go out to say the mall or something.... Once i am actually there... i find my anxiety decreases a little... its just getting myself to these places.

I know i need help. This is affecting my whole life. I have no friends,relationships because of it. It's having an affect on my job life... I look for jobs and think i couldn't do that... Its too far away from home... how will i get there...

I just want to ask for any advice.
I have been looking online on different websites and also listening to peoples stories on youtube about social anxiety and agoraphobia and i am almost certain that is what i have.

So what next. I go the the doctors?
I am telling myself that is what i need to do....
But i am anxious once again... What do i say to him? Will he have any idea what im talking about?
What can they offer me....

And most of all... Will i ever get better? Will i ever live a normal happy anxious free life?

Jamie1990
12-07-10, 18:51
Any advice is welcome :( ?

panicdiva
12-07-10, 19:42
Ok, I'm no expert & don't know how good my advice will be, but here goes:

from what you have said, it sounds to me like you have social anxiety more than agoraphobia, but your social anxiety is making you more fearful about going out... so if you dont get help this could end up being both.

However, at the end of the day, it really does not matter which it is: in my opinion, I think the best thing you could do to help yourself is go & see your GP. Please let them know everything. Your GP will be able to discuss with you a way forward.. This could mean medication, and possibly CBT.

From what I have heard, smoking cannabis can defo make any anxiety problems worse. It's good that you have stopped that now. However, you still seem to be suffering from anxiety, so please go and see your GP.

Also,coming on this site really does help too. You really are not alone.

Hope this has helped a little.

Jamie1990
12-07-10, 23:04
Thanks for the reply.

I am going to make an appointment with my GP tomorrow!