PDA

View Full Version : Lump in my breast (im male)

davey
12-07-10, 17:30
Hi all, first I apologise for the long post.

About 3 years ago I found I had a lump in my left breast, i only noticed it because it made my whole breast muscle painful-my gp told me it was just swollen lymph nodes and it would go away. 6 months later after losing my job because i couldnt work properly (due to extreme pain in my breast) my gp reffered me to the hospital who said exactly the same but this surgeon said if its still causing me problems in another 6 months he would operate to remove the problem. I moved house and my follow up appointment was lost in the post. My gp refused to refer me back to hospital so I changed doctors-whom I initially thought was a great doctor. I developed severe chest pains and palpitations and my gp told me I was suffering health anxiety due to this problem in my chest but said that I should ignore because if it was anything serious something worse would have happened by now-he reffered me for cbt therapy which I am undergoing now, My therapist has advised me to start doing small excersise to get me active again in the hope of slowly coming out of my depression and regaining some confidence so I went swimming. Now this is the first excercise i have done for over a year so I expected to be a little achy-also not being active for a while although i can still feel the lump in my breast it hasn't been giving me any problems so i guess you could say iv just accepted living with it. I woke up this morning 24 hours after my swim and my breast is that painful i can only just move my arm-it has swollen that much i can feel a solid painful mass directly under my nipple and well I just want to cry, I had a telephone appointment with my doctor and he said I dont need to go in as this is normal after excercise...now im no expert but I dont know anybody that gets a painful lump in there breast after excercise. How is this health anxiety, im not even worried about it more angry that im being ignored. so im sitting here in extreme pain, can hardly move my arm but according to my gp this is fine??????????????? Even though the rest of my body is 100% fine.
Any advice
and thanks for listening

randomworry
12-07-10, 17:37
if you are in extreme pain which you obviously are you should go to A and E and bypass the GP. all the best davey

randomworry
12-07-10, 17:43
by the way did you mention to the doctor you lost your job because of the pain that is significant is it not? It tells them something about how bad the pain is.
im sure there is not a serious problem as the docs have said but you still need medical help for the pain.

wish you well mate stay strong

davey
12-07-10, 17:47
Thanks for the reply-A&E just send me home as im in no immediate danger and advise me to see my lovely caring gp lol

randomworry
12-07-10, 18:00
what did you gp says is causing the pain then?

davey
12-07-10, 18:11
what did you gp says is causing the pain then?

anxiety !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

randomworry
12-07-10, 18:15
im sure its not anything serious but anxiety does not causes extreme pain you must have pulled muscle or something...........keep resting it and if it does not subside tell GP to starting listening!

Vixxy
12-07-10, 18:24
Your GP might be right that its nothing serious, but that doesnt account for the fact youre in a lot of pain from it.
You can call up NHS direct to see a doctor at a walk in surgery. I would go and see them and tell them how badly its hurting you and that its stopping you living a normal life.

PixieL
12-07-10, 18:47
You should call the NHS direct as Vixxy said, or go to their website and do the online symptoms thing, it always helps me with problems and dosnt send me into a panic as on their it is simple and never as bad as you think. This lump you mention is a worry, as breast problems do not only affect woman, but men also, but as its less common and less well known it isnt always taken seriously. It kinda sounds like a cyst, which are really painful in my expierence, and busy doctors sometimes try to give you the brush off over them, don't give up on it, you don't deserve to be in pain. Good luck to you :)