PDA

View Full Version : getting rather worried

mothermac
14-07-10, 03:46
Sorry if this is embarrassing for some folk,it;s quite embarrassing for me to write it down.I got diagnosed with thrush(vaginal)on Monday and given some cream and one tablet to take to counteract it,I have had little improvement and it was so bad I didn't go into work today as the burning and the itching was so bad.It looks really red down there and inflamed but I cannot see any white stuff you are supposed to get with this condition.I cannot sleep at night as it gets much worse and haven't had a decent nights sleep since last week.I am really really worried now and petrified I have something like cancer of the vulva and the gp missed it,she took a swab and said it was thrush as soon as she looked at it but I am not convinced as it wouldn't last this long would it?. I got some cream for it but you can only use it twice a day so I got some Vagisil and had to wash it off immediately as the burning was unbearable.Do you think I need to go to hospital with this I am really scared.

pollyanna
14-07-10, 06:45
mothermac

i dont think you have to go to hospital, but i would go back to the doctor, i have had thrush many times, and it really is a real pain, and sometimes like you it hasnt gone away quickly, or has come back very quickly, you may need another type of treatment, sometimes it can be a little bit difficult to shift, also its good that the doctor took a swab, as it may turn out that you have another type of infection, again nothin to worry about, and they can give you the appropriate treatment eg, antibiotics.
lots of woman have had what you describe, it isnt anything serious, but it is very uncomfortable and embarrasing.
Have you tried natural yogurt? being cold from being in the fridge is great, put some on a sanitary towel, it is a little messy but very soothing.
Hope you start to see an improvement today.

take care

P x

Vixxy
14-07-10, 09:50
Hi I suffered with thrush for a long time without realising it. I didnt really get the white stuff either. Just very red sore skin that cracked and bled in places.
The cream will burn when you first put it on as its attacking the thrush thats got itself into your sore skin. It can take a while to shift if you have it pretty badly, which I assume you have got it pretty bad.

mothermac
15-07-10, 09:25
Thanks for your replies girls,today is Thursday and I went into work yesterday as I had a shift last night,it was uncomfortable but I could stand it.The redness has gone down a bit but I am getting stabbing pains on one side,is this normal? I have used the cream the gp gave me and if I don't see an improvement over the weekend I will go back and see the doc again.Thanks for your advice it made me feel better as coming on here always does. xxxx

Kelley
15-07-10, 14:29
Hey MotherMac.
As a qualified Pharmacy Assistant i can honestly tell you that this is probably one of the biggest reasons females come into the Pharmacy! The newer type of treatments are in the form of a single tablet with a small tube of cream to bring slight relief. The other form of treatment is the old fashioned 6 day creams that really aren't convenient anymore and can be quite messy. The only downfall of the tablet is that it usually takes about 3 days until you notice a difference (hence the reason the cream is supplied too) Just hang in there and i'm sure you will feel better by tomorrow. Thrush can be a tricky thing, flaring up and down alot and the sufferer usually finds herself back and fourth to the Pharmacy. I would highly recommend a probiotic daily for a month to put the flora in your gut back in balance which will help immensely with reoccurance :)

mothermac
17-07-10, 02:50
Thanks Kelley,today is Thursday and there has been some improvement,although it still gets annoying at night.I will take your advice and buy a probiotic to help the system and hope this will keep it at bay,thanks again.

Anxious_gal
17-07-10, 05:01
one common sign is that you will smell musty/yeasty down there.
I know gross but it might help reassure you it's just thrush.
the tablet you swallow should really help, you may just have a bad case of trush and maybe you gp might recommend a second tablet.
when i last had trush i felt so swollen and sore inside, i burning and itching like crazy.
it causes you skin to be extra sensitive so the cream will some times makes you burn,
also you can get tablets that you put inside, but like the cream i wouldn't recommend it if your skin is so senstive.

Kelley
17-07-10, 12:14
No problem Mothermac.
Keep me posted as to how you go with the Probiotic :)

mothermac
20-07-10, 02:39
Me again,the thrush is a lot better now ad thank God I can lay in bed at night without scratching myself stupid.I forgot to mention that I suffer with ME as well so it could be that my immune system is out of kilter again leaving me open to this sort of crap.Thanks again to you all for taking the time to reply and helping me out,much appreciated.xxx