PDA

View Full Version : Abcess- got to have op arghh

countrygirl
14-07-10, 08:37
I have prev posted that I have had vaginal abcess in same place ( men can stop reading at this point!). Well have it again 10 days ago and once again mega strength antibiotics did nothing but I managed to get it to burst after 5 agonising days with hot compresses and salt:winks:- had exactly one week and then wham its back again- its terribly painful in a rather undignified place:blush: and makes you walk like you have forgotten your horse.
Saw Dr again yesterday who have to say is lovely- older man thankfully he no longer examines me for this and he said I will have to see gyny and have operation to open up and clear out or unblock the area causing the problem- terror as I will have to have general anaethetic.
I should see a gyny in two weeks on nhs and then go for the op- trying to decide if I should have it done privately but it will cost alot but always worry about the cleanliness of NHS hospitals and worry about getting the training registrar to do op. My GP did say that I might not see the consultant and the registrar might do op on nhs and only way to avoid this is to pay for it myself- he said to go to nhs clinc and see if I was happy with them.

blueangel
14-07-10, 15:04
Oh noooooooooo.... I'm so sorry to hear it hasn't gone away. One suggestion would be to ask whether it would be possible to have the op done with a sedative rather than a general anaesthetic, or whether they could do it with an epidural/spinal block? If you have a real terror of having a GA, then maybe one of these options would be better for you as you'd still be conscious.

NHS hospitals aren't that bad (I've worked for the NHS for 20 years!) - and registrars have still done at least 6 years training as far as I know, possibly longer than this, so they are very capable.

Emira7
14-07-10, 15:29
Ouch, you poor thing I really feel for you, that sounds so painful and uncomfortable.

Don't worry about the Doctor thing, I have worked in the NHS a while, specifically with registrars. they are v.experienced and as blue said, years of experience under their belt. They are bonafide qualified doctors, always with a Consultant to hand,

Good luck lovely
x

countrygirl
14-07-10, 16:05
Thanks both - Dr told me its either general or I could have spinal if I wanted but to be honest I have two herniated lumbar discs and general degenerative disc disease so sticking needles into my spine probably isn't a good idea:). I have had generals before without any trouble but its the fear of not waking up again. As soon as I come round from general I refuse to shut my eyes even though the rooms going round as all I am thinking is I am alive!!

jill07
14-07-10, 18:40
Seriously, do not worry about the general anaesthetic... there is honestly nothing to it I promise you.
Up until last week it was my biggest ever phobia, and actually the trigger of my whole anxiety package. I found out I needed an op in Nov but avoided it due to phobia. I got very very ill as a result, and have ended up in a right old mess with myself.
Finally gave in 3rd July... really had no other choice.... I have never been so terrified in my whole entire life, thought I would flip out and faint, didnt think I would make it to the hospital etc etc.
Anyway, it was simple.... just so easy.... why the hell did I torture myself for so long obsessing about this phobia? Its so quick that you are out before you know what is happening!
Just make sure you tell all of the medical staff that are caring for you about your fears - hope it all goes well for you xxxxx

ElizabethJane
14-07-10, 18:48
Hi Countrygirl I'm sorry that the abcess has come back again and you need to have an op. I am speaking as one who has had several spinal blocks instead of a general anaesthetic. The spinals were fine but I was still very sick (I always am) also they still kept me in as I had no use of my legs until the next morning. The other downside was needing a bedpan as they would not let me get out of bed. I put that off for as long as possible! It was better for me at that time because I was on a lot of meds plus being asthmatic. Let us know how you get on with the appointment. EJ.