PDA

View Full Version : New Member

aspinan
14-07-10, 11:38
Hi everyone, my name is Neil and I'm a 45 year old musician living in Lancashire UK.

I have a pre disposition to depression and anxiety which is controlled with antidepressants. I've been taking Venlafaxin for a number of years following a breakdown about 12 years ago, I unfortunately relapsed a few months after stopping the antidepressants which was brought on by anxiety. I stayed on a maintenece dose and have been well for 9 years but slowly started to reduce the venlafaxin and stopped altogether about 5 months ago, again due to anxiety I had a minor relapse around 7 weeks ago but am on the mend now having been put back on Venlafaxin and Busparon for my anxiety.

My depression is triggered by anxiety which then feeds the depression which in turn feeds the anxiety and on it goes as such I'm resigned to the fact that I need to take venlafaxin for the rest of my life as it also has an anti anxiolitic property.

I guess my anxiety is also triggered by the thought of relapsing as my last two "full on" breakdowns were nasty affairs. On the whole I am able to deal with general anxiety when it happens but am taking some further advise on my coping staretegy as it could be better.

I have a very understanding GP who knows and appreciates that I also know my own illness and how it should be treated.

Anxiety for me is triggered by thought processes and an unwelcomed interuption to daily life and whilst I agree at low levels is a good thing when it becomes something that interferes in life its a bit of a dival and at its worst when I get the full on attacks (which doesn't happen when I'm on the correct medication and doses) is a torrid thing to deal with.... having said that it always passes and when it does I tend to be able to let the thoughts go.

Anyhow, thats it from me, hopefully I can be of help to some people and get help from others.

Take care everyone.
Neil

nomorepanic
14-07-10, 11:40
Hi aspinan

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

musicman65
14-07-10, 17:45
Hi Neil, and welcome from a fellow musician. I play percussion and keyboards. How about you?

Baggs
14-07-10, 22:29
Welcome to NMP. I hope that this site helps you as much as it's helped me. All the best. Baggs.