PDA

View Full Version : Any advice on my cat please ....

nomorepanic
14-07-10, 23:17
We have a British Blue cat called Walnut - I know some of you have seen pics of her already - she is a beautiful cat.

3 years ago she was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart) and they said she may only live 2 years. Well with medication 3 times a day she is still going well bless her.

Anyway she has really bad teeth and gums and we went to the vets tonight and he said she really really needs them looking at under general anesthetic and descaling etc. Her gums are all red and swollen too.

We are left with such a dilemma here as she needs them doing (apparently they can make the heart condition worse if not treated) but the anesthetic could kill her cos of the heart condition.

She is an old girl now - 12 years old.

We have no idea what to do. If we lost her after putting through all that we would be devastated but if we don't do anything and her teeth get worse then it can't be much fun for her either with the discomfort she must have.

Any wise words of wisdom from any cat lovers here please.

Thanks

JaneC
14-07-10, 23:37
Hi Nic,

Really tough. One of my cats is 18 and has had a heart condition for about 7 or 8 years. She has a pill every day but vet can't believe she's still alive when she "could have a heart attack any time". Despite this, two years ago she survived being hit by a car (back end initially paralysed but she recovered more or less) and around the same time a v nasty e coli bladder infection.

I'd hate to have to make the decision, but I'm trying to say animals are sometimes stronger than even vets think, and she just might be ok. Of course the general anaesthetic is a huge decision but you wouldn't want her to be in pain from her teeth either. I've always told myself that when it gets to the point that Cleo's arthritis is affecting her quality of life in an obvious way it'll be time to let her go. Hope the day doesn't come soon!

Is there really nothing the vet can do without putting her under? :hugs:

nomorepanic
14-07-10, 23:47
Thanks for the reply Jane - much appreciated.

Wow - 18 years old that is fantastic.

I asked if they could just sedate her and he said no way and it had to be a general.

They said can we brush her teeth - hmm not likely is it lol.

We also have her daughter that is 10 years old and needs a general for her teeth as well so we have to decide about that as well. She has to have hers done every year anyway but she is getting older now too.

Walnut is eating fine and doesn't seem to be bothered by the teeth but cats can't tell us can they. Of course they cannot guarantee anything with a cat with a heart condition.

I am thinking if I did this and she died I would be so devastated that I am not sure I can take the responsibility for it - sounds limp I know!

JaneC
15-07-10, 00:05
TBH, if she's eating and they don't seem to be bothering her, I'd be tempted to leave it and see how it goes. I'm sure you will know if it gets to the stage that they are hurting her - ie she would prob not want to eat for starters.

And I really would give the toothbrush a try, unlikely as it sounds. I've been forced to start clipping Cleo's claws because she doesn't go out much and she hates it, to the point of growling and biting. Wrapping a towel round her with paws inside is a decent way of keeping them kind of immobilised.

When my younger cat (8-ish) had his annual visit, the vet said his teeth were starting to suffer so sold me a bag of special dry food (Royal Canin Dental) but the pieces are really big and he doesn't like it.

I've subsequently started buying Whiskas Dentabits (I'm not on commission, honest). I don't know if they work or if they are preventative only but maybe you could give them a try, or ask the vet what he/she thinks of them.

Cleo costs me a fortune with her heart pills and anti-inflammatory stuff for her arthritis, vitamin injections and what not but I love her to bits. We said she wouldn't survive last winter, but yet again she proved us wrong.

I hope you and Walnut still have many happy years together ahead of you!

Bluebelle
15-07-10, 03:09
This must be so hard for you- my kitty is my life!

What does your vet advise?
In the best estimation of the vet- will Walnut be okay? I realize nothing is guaranteed with medical issues- but what is the general asessment of the vet?

Can anything be done to strengthen Walmut's condition prior to the procedure?

Can some of the work ( instead of the complete procedure) be accomplished with a mild sedative - and if so would that be enough to relieve the bad gums etc?

I have a little pomeranian ( who is also my life) who had bad teeth and it would have led to heart disease. She was fine but they were worried prior to the procedure because she is so tiny. It was so emotionally difficult- and I am not sure I could have her go through that again. I can completely understand your feelings on this issue.

Would it be possible to take her to another vet for a second opinion on her ability to withstand the procedure?

Would Walnut benefit from gradually switching her food to a more dental friendly brand?

Is she going to lose them? I know of a cat and a dog who are toothless and eat soft canned food and are happy and healthy.

I hope you and Walnut have a good sleep tonight !

nomorepanic
15-07-10, 21:47
They won't do the procedure without putting her totally out as a mild sedation will not be enough apparently.

They are not sure the state of her teeth until they descale them and see what is underneath all the plaque.

We are still thinking about it and I appreciate both of your replies.