PDA

View Full Version : What age do you have to be under for it to be free?

Joellie
16-07-10, 12:31
Im freaking out! i turn 20 in just over a week and im worried that counselling and therapy stops being free up until a certain point. Ive had free counselling at college and outside college before (which the outside one didnt help and the college one did) but ive left college now so i dont have access to it. I really miss my counsellor as it is. I had a massive anxiety "attack" last night which i think stemmed from it. While i was worrying and rushing about other issues whenever she was mentioned i just burst into tears.

Im going to the doctors later but im worried that he wil turn around and say "Its not free anymore" i cant afford £50-£100 a week for 1 hour sessions. im trying to stay calm and not think what if and just to accept that im nervious and for a good reason but eugh i dunno what il be like after!

absentia
16-07-10, 13:40
I haven't sought therapy, but I am almost certain it's free on the NHS, afterall that is what it is for.

Joellie
16-07-10, 13:42
I guess so, just some things have age limits. Like i cant get free meds now (grr) and dental stuff isnt free after 18 so just wondered!

absentia
16-07-10, 15:22
At 23 my doc wanted to put me on an anxiety course, which was going to cost me nothing, but unfortunately I couldn't attend after breaking my wrist and not being able to drive there. I think you only pay for prescriptions and dental care because both are very costly for the NHS to have to pay for. I think CBT is also free, but there is usually a long waiting list.

Vixxy
16-07-10, 17:16
Any therapy through the NHS is free.