PDA

View Full Version : I have beaten Agoraphobia

Dizzy-Dave
17-07-10, 16:27
Dear old friends and current sufferers,

It has now been 4 months since I beat Agoraphobia.

I can go where I want, in a taxi, or by walking.

I've had many brilliant times recently and loved every moment.

I keep meaning to make a new youtube video to explain how I feel i beat it but im out getting drunk all the time now. Who can blame me :)

I have also taken many photos of my journey which i hope to share with you all soon for inspiration.

Thanks again to NMP for the support during the tough times.

Agoraphobia can be beaten and you will get your life back if you go about it the right way.

Dave x

diane07
17-07-10, 16:48
Well done dave

That is such lovely news, i've practically overcome mine too, it is such a fabulous feeling.

di xx

Louise21
17-07-10, 17:00
That's such good news, Dave - I'm so pleased for you.
Louise x

paulaf
17-07-10, 17:01
How did you overcome it please?

onceagain
17-07-10, 20:43
Fantastic news it is always a really lift when you hear about success... we'll wait for the you tube and photo's ... right now you take your life back you bloody deserve it x

willitstop
18-07-10, 20:13
well done im in the process of beating mine aswell :)

Dizzy-Dave
18-07-10, 20:45
How did you overcome it please?

I need time to reflect on how I feel I did it but I'm fairly certain I know the main thing that let to recovery which was exposure therapy.

Down to the end of my road. Repeat daily until I'm comftable with it.
Walk to end of street.
Go with someone to the supermarket.
Started to walk alone to my local shop.
Managed to visit my friends flat and after repeated visits it became an enviroment i could relax in.
Managed to goto town.
Managed to goto a pub and stay for afew hours.

It was all very hard work but I took photos of every place i went and built up a scrapbook.

Agoraphobia is like the Matrix. When you step outside it feels very unreal. But the words I found hard to understand came true, for some sweat and tears, your brain starts to remember that its ok to be free and your mind eventually returns to a normal thinking pattern where all you think about is girls/boys/what to wear and that your going to be late for the pub!:yesyes:

Thank you for the kind words btw. Many a nights last year the chatroom saved me from a good few panic attacks x

sb001f8994
18-07-10, 20:51
Great news dave, I myself am trying very hard to overcome agoraphobia. Im struggling a bit right now but not giving up and your story is so inspirational and just what I needed to hear right now.
Well done, enjoy life, you deserve it.

teez
20-07-10, 11:56
well done ,,it sounds like youve earned your freedom,,enjoy it :hugs:

anthrokid
28-07-10, 02:43
WOOOOHOOOOOOOO!:yahoo:
Amazing job Dave! You're a trooper!

Kipepeo Girl
31-07-10, 18:09
Great news dave, I myself am trying very hard to overcome agoraphobia. Im struggling a bit right now but not giving up and your story is so inspirational and just what I needed to hear right now.
I'm exactly the same.

Well done Dave, it's great to hear a success story and I'm really happy for you (even though I don't know you :p).

Edward78
07-10-10, 15:28
I need time to reflect on how I feel I did it but I'm fairly certain I know the main thing that let to recovery which was exposure therapy.

Down to the end of my road. Repeat daily until I'm comftable with it.
Walk to end of street.
Go with someone to the supermarket.
Started to walk alone to my local shop.
Managed to visit my friends flat and after repeated visits it became an enviroment i could relax in.
Managed to goto town.
Managed to goto a pub and stay for afew hours.

I want to know how to beat Agoraphobia (fear of having a panic attack, having no escape to 'safety'). I have been doing exposure therapy for ages. I am now capable of travelling by train on my own from London to Manchester and staying over night in Manchester on my own, BUT I HAVE NOT beaten my Agoraphobia or overcome my problem, I have just increased the size of my comfort zone. I am still terrified of having a panic attack and I'm not sure what to try next to overcome this problem which is crippling my life. Any advise? Thanks.

eternally optimistic
07-10-10, 15:48
Great post Dave,

What a lovelly success story.

Love the idea of the photos - great reminder for you to remember where you've come from you.

WELL DONE.

DanH
08-10-10, 05:02
I have to admit reading something like this makes me hopeful that I too might one day be able to do all of those things.

Its great to hear this thing can be beaten and you're living your life now to the full, thanks for sharing this with us all and if you ever do make a series of youtube videos that'd be great.

ditzygirl
08-10-10, 09:57
Dave you're a star - well done and thank you for sharing.

You've made me smilex

DanDanT
19-10-10, 04:15
Your story has inspired me so much ! I could never see an end to this but i can now im gna try with all my heart :)

jessicalittler79
19-10-10, 04:19
thats great hun good for u.:D

phil85
02-11-10, 11:43
well done Dave, i've been an agoraphobic/recluse for the last 5 years and i still can't really get out my front door.:yesyes:

tracey c
02-11-10, 17:42
well done Dave - congratulations :hugs:

Thistooshallpass
11-11-10, 21:44
Such a great post! :-)

pauluk43
23-11-10, 12:38
great to hear. i tried to beat mine after 14 years and im still struggling to get anywhere as i still have a fear of panicking outside. so once beaten your thoughts go back to normal after time and your not scared to go out at all and just be like people who havent had agoraphobia etc?

JoniEdwards
24-11-10, 21:16
Congrats! I'm glad you have beaten it...This has been a struggle for me now for a year, just the thought of getting in the car makes me panic. I fear panicking in public, or having something go wrong with me and no one being able to help me, or thinking im going to die when I leave the house or have a stroke or heart attack, i get dizzy and scared as soon as i step outside. This is all new to me, but reading your success gives me hope of overcoming it.

Joni

Lise73
12-12-14, 22:57
This is so inspiring to read! I'm 3 years, 3 months in- almost £3500 spent on therapy, haven't touched a single med but I'm feeling stronger than ever to over come this now! So glad I read your post! Can you update how you are