PDA

View Full Version : New, pregnant and anxiety sufferer

shortcake
17-07-10, 16:58
Hi there,

I've just joined and am hoping I can chat with people who have or are experiencing similar. For the last 5 years I have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety and it's been a bit of an up and down rollercoaster. The first attack caused me to end up in hospital as I believed I was having a heart attack (My hr was about 180). Numerous tests were done and I was put on a monitor but eventually it was just put down to anxiety. However I cannot shake these feelings of constant worry about my health and often find myself checking my heartrate.
Over the years I have been on anti-anxiety med, which helped and also attended cbt and counselling and a lot of my anxiety stems from the bereavement I have experienced in my 26yrs, including the death of my mother when I was 2. I just cant help worrying that the same will happen to me and I have constant worries about my own health and death.
I got married last year and coped great! Around this time I also came off med in the hope of trying for a baby. I am now 28 wks pregnant and just about coping. I have been anxious throughout and really bad at the beginnning, but have managed to stay off med. I get seriosly anxious going to doc or hospital and worry about my heart racing and bp going up or that I'll be told something is wrong. Last time at the doc my hr was 150 and bp 138/90. She tried to reassure me that it was all down to anxiety and told me to continue doing yoga and practice my relaxation and breathing techniques.

I have been doing this and it does help. I just can't get these negative thoughts out of my head and I get so overwhelmed at times it just feels like my head will burst. I feel so guilty as I don't want to be stressed and worry about harming this beautiful baby growing inside me. Why can't I be happy and enjoy life and not have this anxiety always in the background?

My apologies for going on so long and thank you for reading. I would love to hear from anyone that has been thru similar or that can offer any advice.

Thank you

nomorepanic
17-07-10, 17:00
Hi shortcake

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Baggs
17-07-10, 22:03
Welcome to NMP. I hope that this site helps you as much as it's helped me. All the best. Baggs.

Vanilla Sky
18-07-10, 00:51
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome: Paige x