PDA

View Full Version : fear of dentist

diddler
17-07-10, 22:52
hi everyone, i need a bit of support i need 3 teeth pulling and 3 fillings and now one has cracked even more, im so scared of the pain but still too scared to hav the work dun, the fear is i hate being numb and i've heard the anesthetic can make your heartbeat fast, and the feeling stuck while there doing the work, its on my mind constant cus i want the work dun x

lavender123
17-07-10, 23:02
i am really scared of the dentist, i need to go again as i have a sore tooth at the bottom, i had a tooth out in april, it was broken and they could nt repair it, i explained to the dentist, how i was feeling, and he took it really slow, and it was soon over, i take rescue remedy, when i am going somewhere, i am nervous of thats usually everywhere, they rub a bit of gel into your gum first and you dont really feel the rest, i always say to myself, i will be out of here in a hour. i hope everything goes alright. :)

diddler
18-07-10, 22:01
ah thanku, me 2, its just gettin strength up to go x

jill07
18-07-10, 22:13
The key to this is find a good dentist..... I always used to be nervous, but found the best dentist ever and believe it or not he even manages to make me feel relaxed when having root canal!
Seriously, make sure they are well aware of your fears.... mine gives me double appointments and does everything he can to make sure I am ok and comfortable.
If your fear is really bad, I found hypnotherapy good. I like Bach rescue remedy too. Just remember, it wont take long and you will feel so much better when it is over and done with. Make this your mantra.... "I can do anything I set my mind to" repeat it over and over again.
Hope you get on ok xxxx

blueangel
19-07-10, 09:52
Hi there

I agree entirely with what Jill's added - it's about finding someone that you can trust. I went for years without going and ended up in almost constant pain, had dental abscesses, you name it. I had some assistance from a counsellor to get me there, but I found my dentist through recommendation from other people.

He is absolutely brilliant, and one of the things I find really helpful is that he works very quickly, so at least if something's not very pleasant, then you know it's only going to last for a minute or two. I've had loads of work done on my teeth now, including getting rid of two wisdom teeth, crowns and root canals, and I can honestly say I'm fine, which is a huge relief.