PDA

View Full Version : Becoming Patronising

brainzaps
18-07-10, 20:27
Sorry this sounds strange. I've always been shy and sometimes treated like a human doormat. Since being on Cit for three months I have become quite confident. But wait, maybe TOO confident maybe even come across selfish and patronising to people. I seem to have one extreme to another. Its not with everyone just people I think I am better then. Sorry if I sound a complete A$$. Has anyone else had a similar problem. I feel sad because I have someones feelings.:weep:

FatherTed
30-07-10, 00:19
Can identify with most of what your saying but dont know the causality. I was very sheepish. Polite. Quiet. Reserved. Didnt want to offend anyone even if I was being ignored and not given any consideration. After a MAJOR depressive illness, complete breakdown and my whole system and life grinding to a sudden halt and after 10 months of anti depressant therapy, 4 months of counselling and a massive ammount of support from family and friends for which I am eternally grateful I now find that I am much more assertive. I give more priority to my own needs than I ever used to but not to the exclusion of others if you see what I mean but the single biggest change is I no longer say YES to anything that is asked of me which I did automatically for 48 years. That very act on its own liberated me beyond belief and people behaved differently towards me as a result. That doesnt mean iI have become selfish. far from it. I just value myself now and I strongly urge you to value yourself too.