PDA

View Full Version : med dilemma

rooby
18-07-10, 22:13
I managed 1 tablet that nicely spaced me out but have a dilemma - I go to a psychotherapist once a week since last sept, he supported me while I was on other ADs but knows I have not taken any for a month and wants me to stay off them, he says he can work better with me if I don't take them, that they numb feelings etc.
Thing is, I want the feelings numbed. I want the good sleep and no panic awakenings or dreaded anxiety. But I also want the root causes treated with the therapist. The psychiatrist prescribed zispin for the depression that is very real and ongoing but I am afraid to take because of the therapist.
What to do?

ElizabethJane
18-07-10, 22:38
I agree with your psychiatrist that you need your anti depressant to help with the symptoms of your depression. I do not agree with the therapist. Anti depressants do not numb feelings. You might feel numb from the problems that you are facing. If you are on a lot of other meds like anti psychotics or other drugs then it might be true to say that your feelings are numbed. I have been over medicated in the past and it is true some psychotherapists will not work with someone in this state. It would be better if your psychiatrist and psychotherapist worked together and worked on a plan to get you off meds. In your present state in sounds as if you would benefit from taking them. These are my opinions only based on my own experiences of mirtazapine and psychotherapy and seeing a psychiatrist. I am not in any way medically trained. Thanks. EJ.

suzy-sue
18-07-10, 22:45
Being on an ANTIDEPRESSANT wont stop you from workinng with the therapist to get to the root of your problems .I would definately take the medication and get on an even keel .this will help you .Depression needs treating and you cannot think rationaly when you are anxious and depressed .I would have a word with your Psychiatrist about this and see how he views the therapists advice :lac:.All the best Sue x

rooby
18-07-10, 23:04
Thank you both, I did tell the psych that the therapist did not agree with me taking the tabs and she said that there is nothing wrong with taking them and esp as this problem has been ongoing for me since a nervous breakdown last oct.
I really feel deep down that I need to take the tablets, in fact, it was putting off taking them last year that eventually led to the breakdown. Thing is, should I just not tell the therapist I am taking them, - this feels dishonest and kind of defeats the object of therapy ?
Also I have 2 kids 14 and 12 at home and a very patient hubby, who are affected by my mood and I want to do what's best for them too

jo61
19-07-10, 09:29
Imo tell the therapist you're on the medication. The roles of the professionals are clearly defined. the psychiatrist manages the medication, the therapist manages the therapy. If you don't feel confident talking to therapist (and honesty is paramount in that relationship) maybe ask the psychiatrist to speak to him/her. They both need to be on the same page. I don't believe the therapist has the right to second guess another professional outside their area of expertise.

I personally have been in therapy and taken medication (including mirtazapine) for 10 years. If I hadn't taken the medication I wouldn't have been able to get so much out of the therapy. Keep on posting.

:hugs:

Gareth
19-07-10, 10:04
Hi there. To be frank I would have concerns about the psychotherapist you are working with. He should not be making judgements about you taking or not taking medication, this is your decision in consultation with your psychiatrist. Also, he is plainly wrong about the drugs masking emotions. They don't do this. Do what you feel is right - just because you are suffering from depression does not mean you suddenly don't know what the right thing to do for yourself is.

rooby
19-07-10, 19:20
thankyou these are very helpful replies. I am going tomorrow to therapist so will see what he says. I thought too that both medication and therapy should work together for the best result. I want to be able to function without tablets on all levels - as I am sure everybody else on this site does - but while I am not actually as suicidal as I was a few months ago this does not mean I am cured, my nerves are shot and confidence non-existent and deep down I don't feel ready to face my inner demons just yet. Maybe I should give the therapy a break for a while.

jo61
20-07-10, 09:04
Let us know how you go on today. In my view therapy and medication work very well together. If your therapist is pushing to get you off the meds and your psychiatrist thinks you should stay on, maybe you need to be looking for a different therapist.

rooby
20-07-10, 17:21
Well I went today and told him that I had been prescribed new tablets and sure enough he told me it was my decision but it would be better if I manage without. He uses techniques that focus on bodywork and it's true that I have been unable to delve deeply into my inner feelings and really let go but this is partly because I have been brought up to keep my feelings bottled up and put a front on for the world ( as probably most of us have) and partly because I don't want to go there, some things are too painful to have to feel.
His reasoning is that he can help me with these deeper things in a safe environment and in a controlled way that will help with the depression and anxiety for the long term, not just kept under control by tablets.
All of this makes sense but I just don't know if I want to do that yet, it still seems too soon since my major breakdown which happened last Oct. And I'm sure that one reason that happened was because I didn't want to take any tablets then!!!
So now I am still in the dilemma

rooby
20-07-10, 17:24
Sorry I meant to add that I really like his approach on the whole, he really helped me to deal with some stuff from my childhood and we have had some extremely good sessions, this is why I am not sure what to do, whether to trust his judgement or my own.

jo61
23-07-10, 00:02
Of course it is your decision but if you are taking the trouble to see a psychiatrist, and they reckon you need the medication, I reckon it's a no brainer. Tablets and therapy can work very well together and I wo uld not trust a psychologist who doesn't respect the professional view of the psychiatrist.