PDA

View Full Version : Throat spasms not letting enough oxygen - is this common?

betty72
18-07-10, 23:24
Hi everyone. I've been a sufferer from anxiety from time to time (mostly after my dad passed last year) but have been lots better lately. My biggest problem was ectopic beats which calmed down the past month or so but now I have yet another problem! Although I'm paranoid that its something serious. When I'm sitting quietly breathing in and out with my mouth closed it feels like my throat and the top of my chest is clamming up and oxygen isnt getting in. I can describe it as breathing in air from a sauna. It makes me take deeper breaths and its still there even after doing this. I've suffered from this occasionally about a week now and I'm worried my throat or breathing tube is collapsing which is probably ridiculous. I'm a non smoker and it comes on when I'm not even anxious. Mostly when I'm sitting down. I am slightly overweight so am worrying that this is causing it too but I'm 38 and haven't experienced it until recently. Please help I don't want to make another trip to the doctor but at the same time we can't put everything down to anxiety. Asthma also crossed my mind but I don't want to google symptoms! Thanks :wacko:

lemaladeimaginaire
19-07-10, 08:43
Yes, anxiety. Globus hystericus, as it's called, one of anxiety's gifts. No worries, you're able to breath, it's just a feeling, it'll go away if you ignore it.

Good luck!

betty72
19-07-10, 21:57
Thanks for your response. I have had that before last year when I couldn't swallow (lump in throat) but I don't have the same symptoms. It just feels like my airways restrict now and again for no reason when I'm relaxed. Can globus hystericus make you feel like that too?