PDA

View Full Version : 10 things to remember

Rennie1989
24-02-04, 20:50
Here are 10 things to remember when having a panic attack:

1. It does not matter íf you feel frightened, bewildered, unreal, unsteady. These feelings are nothing more than an exaggeration of the normal bodily reactions to stress.

2. Just because you have these sensations doesn’t mean you are very sick. These feelings are just unpleasant & frightening, not dangerous. Nothing worse will happen to you.

3. Let your feelings come. They’ve been ín charge of you. You’ve been pumping them up & making them more acute. Stop pumping. Don’t run away from panic. When you feel the panic mount, take a deep breath & as you breathe out, let go. Keep trying. Stay there almost as íf you were floating ín space. Don’t fight the feeling of panic. Accept ít. You can do ít.

4. Try to make yourself as comfortable as possible without escaping. If you’re on a street, lean against a post or stone wall. If you’re ín the check-out line of the department store, find a quiet corner. If you’re ín a shop, tell the salesperson you don’t feel well & need to sit for a while.

5. Stop adding to your panic with frightening thoughts about what ís happening & where ít might lead. Don’t indulge ín self-pity & think, “Why can’t I be like all the other normal people? Why do I have to go through all this?” Just accept what ís happening to you. If you do this, what you fear most will not happen.

6. Think about what ís really happening to your body at that moment. Do not think, “Something terrible ís going to happen. I must get out.” Repeat to yourself, “I will not fall, faint, die or lose control.”

7. Now wait & give the fear time to pass. Do not run away. Others have found the strength. You will too. Notice that as you stop adding the frightening thoughts to your panic, the fear starts to fade away by itself.

8. This ís your opportunity to practice. Think of ít that way. Even íf you feel isolated ín space, one of these days you will not feel that way. Sometime soon you will be able to go through the panic & say “I did ít.” Once you say this, you will have gone a long way toward conquering fear. Think about the progress you have already made. You are ín control of the situation!

9. Try to distract yourself from what ís going on inside you. Look at your surroundings. See the other people on the street, ín the bus. They are with you, not against you.

10. When the panic subsides, let your body go loose, take a deep breath & go on with your day. Remember, each time you cope with a panic, you reduce your fear.

Hope this helps:D:D:D

Jade[:p]

sadie
24-02-04, 21:14
Jade,

Thanks for all this useful info...everything you have written is so true!

I hope it helps you too when you feel like a PA is coming.

Take care

sadie

Rennie1989
24-02-04, 21:18
I just found on a website, and i thought, wow, this should work

jade

Meg
24-02-04, 21:45
So Jade ,

Take each of your situations where you tend to panic ie school and in bed and plan how you can adapt and use these 10 fabulous points to help you if there is a next time with panic.

Once you've got a plan and coping method either write it out or read it a few times so you will remember what to do when you're feeling scared.

let us know how you do .

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

diana
25-02-04, 00:06
Hiya Jade,

A very good, informative post. Well done!!!!

I do hope you are doing better yourself. I am going to copy this if you don`t mind and put it on my fridge to read everyday to remember what to do when I feel a PA creeping up on me :).

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx

Rennie1989
26-02-04, 18:43
you know what, this has really helped me, im really glad iv found it!!!

jade

Meg
26-02-04, 18:49
Good news !! What have you done differently ?

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Rennie1989
26-02-04, 19:02
my thoughts, what i think when havin, or before, havina p.a.

kate
26-02-04, 19:03
Hiya Jade,

Really glad to hear that you are doing well at the moment!

Great news!! :D

Kate x

Meg
26-02-04, 19:08
Dear Jade

That's the single most important message that you need to learn to get over panic.

Energy follows thought

What you think determines your mood

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well done you !!!

This does not apply to initial panic caused by recreational drugs

Meg

Rennie1989
26-02-04, 21:11
thanx meg

diana
27-02-04, 21:36
Heya Jade,

Glad to hear you are doing well.

You sound so much more positive and happy now.

You sound like a young girl your age should!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D.

Keep posting to let us know how things are going for ya.

Take care deary,

Diana xxxx

PinkLady
28-02-04, 02:56
wonderful way to summarize everything jzde!
I think you have taught me something and I certainly
will use these.
Thankyou,
Trina

Trina

Rennie1989
28-02-04, 16:21
i was thinkin of bein a special needs teacher but i should be a teacher in copin panic attavks in stead, lol

jade

nomorepanic
28-02-04, 17:51
Jade

You have learnt so much about it that there is no reason why you can't make a career out of helping others overcome it.

Good luck to you.

Nicola

Rennie1989
28-02-04, 18:12
do ya think i should nic

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 08:59
nic- what programme did you use to make this site

nomorepanic
29-02-04, 14:10
Jade

I use Microsoft Frontpage but it does help if you know a bit about HTML as sometimes Frontpage misbehaves so I resort to editing the code directly. [:o)]

Nicola

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 14:56
iv got this programme called web-artist. by the way what is html?

nearly done designing the web site, i dout it will be on the web

jade

nomorepanic
29-02-04, 15:01
Not heard of that Jay.

HTML is basically the code that makes up a web page. Press the right mouse button on this page and then select "view source" - that is HTML.

What has your website got on it?

Nicola

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 15:11
its a panic attack site but its a kiddy or teenager version. i cant make up a forum or chat room so ill have to find that software you mentioned

jade

nomorepanic
29-02-04, 19:20
Jade

The chat room is hosted by Bravenet (www.bravenet.com). It is free if you can put up with the pop-up ads that we used to get.

This message forum is from Snitz (http://forum.snitz.com/) and again is free but can be hard to set up - Alex did mine for me.

jade - why dont you write something for my site about teenage sufferers?

Nicola

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 19:24
okee dokee then. all i did was put information to more of a simpler turms, a bit like what ya done here but alot less, lol

ill have to look at those sites, do ya have to get the site on the web before you set those up

jade

ps i think my mum may let me put my site on the web, cross keys.

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 20:13
nic, is everything from bravenet free like the chat and forums etc

jade

nomorepanic
29-02-04, 20:26
well they are links from the site to theirs jay so yes you will need to upload your site first.

some companies do free hosting, bravenet do - so it wont cost you to have a site on there.

bravenet do most stuff free yeah - they are quite good for that

Nicola

Rennie1989
29-02-04, 20:28
cool, thats good then, at least i wont get a massive bill comin through the door, lol, so my site will have to be on the web first, doh!

diana
01-03-04, 03:17
Hiya Jade,

Good for you thinking about becoming a special needs teacher :). I think you would be very good at that as you would be very sensitive to the needs of special needs children, because of your experiences with anxiety/panic.

You can do anything you put your mind to doing.

Great news about the kiddy/teenager panic site. Post to let us know where the site is. I would love to have a look around :-D.

I am so proud of you for coming up with the idea of a site for younger folks that suffer with this disorder. Keep up the great work deary :).

Take care,

Diana xxxx

Rennie1989
01-03-04, 19:11
thanks diana

im gonna put a forum down so thats gonna be cool. my mum hasnt made up her mind yet but i think it is a 80% chance its gonna be on the web.

i may call the site www.panicinteenagers.co.uk, i donno yet

should i put a chat room down?

jade

diana
01-03-04, 19:44
Jade,

Sure you should. It would be great for other young folks to share their experiences with one another, and be able to get on with someone in case of emergencies. When they just need immediate support.

It sounds absolutely great. You should be so proud of yourself for coming up with this idea.

keep us posted as to how you are progressing on the building of your forum.

Take care dear,

Diana xxxx [:X]

nomorepanic
01-03-04, 22:24
Jade

Don't forget that you have to pay for the www address as well. The costs varies so talk to me first before you buy one ok?

Nicola

Rennie1989
02-03-04, 18:59
yeah i will, cheers

jade

me
05-03-04, 21:19
dear jade i just read your wonderful message and by gum its cheered me up alittle ive had anful day and you have just put a smile on my face thankyou from the bottom of my heart take care from mary (me)

Rennie1989
05-03-04, 22:44
aw, thanx mary, im glad i made ya happy, thats my job, lol

jade