PDA

View Full Version : Scared increase wont help!

Sarah Louise
19-07-10, 11:28
Hi everyone,

After 8 good weeks on Citalopram my anxiety is back I have had 4 panic attack's this weekend and I am back to not being able to eat because my stomach is in knots with that horrid sick feeling.

My doctor has told me to go up to 40mg but will this help me? 20mg helped at the start but i went to London this weekend and my dad’s partner said that I shouldn’t increase them because after 40mg I will need 60mg and then an increase again and she has scared me. I have only started taking 30mg to start after looking through some posts on here.

I feel like my positive attitude has gone I am so angry with myself!

Has anyone else had similar experience but the increase has helped?

Thanks you to anyone who replies x

JaneC
19-07-10, 11:38
Hi Sarah, I just replied to your other thread. I'm sorry but IMO this woman is talking complete nonsense. It's an SSRI we are talking about, not something you get addicted to and have to keep upping the dose because you need more and more of it. I am so angry she has put this idea in your head. As I said on the other thread, a 10mg increase has made a huge difference to my husband - and he's been on cit for about 11 years and never been above 40mg.

Please put what she said out of your mind!

Sarah Louise
19-07-10, 11:52
Thank you for your replies on both threads she said the problem is in my head and that the tablets wont stop that but i no they have helped because they have done for the past 8 weeks. I no the problem is me but i am trying really hard with CBT its not like i am sat here moaning and doing nothing. She has suffered with anxiety in the past and has been on Citalopram but she said they never helped her and they wont help me no matter how much i put the dose up which has made me really anxious :scared15: i dont no anymore to be honest!

Vanilla Sky
19-07-10, 12:07
I have had mine upped to 40mg and it has helped a lot . Just because the Citalapram never helped your dad,s partner , does not mean it wont help you ! We are all individual , what's good for one person may not be for the next . Don't let other people put you of with there experiences . Like i said it has helped me loads and i don't have any panic now , i feel myself again . And so will you ... so just try it !!
Good luck :)

Paige x

Sarah Louise
19-07-10, 12:35
I have had mine upped to 40mg and it has helped a lot . Just because the Citalapram never helped your dad,s partner , does not mean it wont help you ! We are all individual , what's good for one person may not be for the next . Don't let other people put you of with there experiences . Like i said it has helped me loads and i don't have any panic now , i feel myself again . And so will you ... so just try it !!
Good luck :)

Paige x

Paige, did you up yours straight away or slowly i am worried about the side effects again should i just bite the bullet and take 40mg tomorrow?
Did u have any side effects when taking 40mg?

suzy-sue
19-07-10, 13:23
I upped my dose from 20mg to 30 mg .The first few days I took only 5mg extra .then as I felt ok I took another 5mg .When I reached the 4week mark I felt amazing .This person is talking thru their backside ..Its very common to go back a step until you find your theraputic dose .Its always better to do it slowly .3omg might be your theraputic dose .So upping to 40mg would be too much in that case .If you find after 8weeks you are not as good as you hoped .You can up again by 5mg and see how it goes from there .These are not addictive and you dont have a tolerance like Benzodiazapines ..Im sure you will find you feel so much better when you increase .The side effects are usually only mild if anything ,maybe the odd headache or feeling a bit tireder for a week or so .Good luck ,trust me and the others who say the same .:hugs:luv Sue x

annette1
19-07-10, 19:15
I have been taking Cit for 18mths, I started on 20mg & stayed on this for 6mths then had an increase in anxiety so GP suggested I increased to 40mg. I had a few extra side effects for a week but since then I have felt so much more relaxed & in control.

It wont hurt to increase your dose to 40mg, you can always reduce it again if it feels like too much.

Hereford Al
19-07-10, 23:51
I didn't have any real extra side effects from increasing from 20mg straight to 40mg about 6 weeks ago. I was a bit tired and had a mild headache (but that could have been all the hot weather!) for a few days, but that was it.

Thumbelina
20-07-10, 01:17
I was on 10mg for 3y now, before on 20 for couple of yes. I didn't take my medications for 2 months straight and before a bit irregularly for couple of months. Have some reactive and and low mood now, decided to take it agIn tonight and stil up now at 3am scared ab the effect this 10mg cam hav on me after the break. Silly but horrible trembling and vicious circle of anxiety.