PDA

View Full Version : Counselling - First Session

Dragonsblonde
19-07-10, 13:49
Afternoon all

Well after starting on some CIT tablets last week for Anxiety, I have just had my first chat with a works counsellor today. This was just the introductory sessions to chat over where I am right now and things like that.

He is suggesting moving forward with some Person Centred counselling with some added pieces of CBT etc for the next six weeks. I know very little about all of this and actually found it quite hard to take the lead in my own recovery.

I seemed to feel a little "odd" and in a way and maybe a little sad. Possibly as I am coming to terms with the lack of an "instant cure" (wishful thinking I know) and dealing with my anxiety this time round rather than just bottling it all back up until it goes away.

Would love to hear from anyone with positive experience or advice on the counselling route

Take care
Jo

Dragonsblonde
19-07-10, 20:26
As an add-on almost for myself as a record here (thought if I update this after all sessions I may be able to track my own progress better)

The feelings today after the session have been up and down a little. Rallied this afternoon at work and then this evening when heading home slipped back a little, but mainly with feelings of sadness rather than anything else.

Kind of "how did I end up here" when life used to seem so easy. Also logically need to realise that today has been the longest day I have had for a while.

Back at work on a full day, first counselling session and bringing everyone up-to date about how I was feeling.

Need to remember to give myself some time and space to feel and heal

Nigel H
21-07-10, 17:27
There is no such thing as an 'instant' therapy ..... and some are far more reliable than others, in my experience.

Firstly, it is excellent that you are at the stage where you are embarking on some counselling to overcome that old problem.

Most issues that people have are held within the unconscious part of the mind [that part that goes about it's business and you are not consciously aware of it]. Which is why when we 'try' and think about the solution to a problem, it is not easy to come up with those answers!

Therapies that deal with the unconscious mind will generally be much quicker at getting a result (with a skilled therapist) because they deal with the problem where it is and can re-set the thought patterns at an unconscious level.

If you wish to find out some specifics, I suggest you email me (with your location also) and I may be able to point you in the right direction.

nigelhorwood@yahoo.com

Nig

Dragonsblonde
21-07-10, 19:44
Thank you Nig

I have indeed sent you an e-mail. I find that there is so much out there that the choices and options get a little bewildering

Jo