PDA

View Full Version : chronic tension

puppyskin
19-07-10, 22:07
does anyone else have this?? saw my psychiatrist today and he says it could be fibromyalga whatever that is.painful shoulders and chest worse when i move a certain way,clicking shoulders and where the clavicle is.bottom of left sided ribs too.

dodo
19-07-10, 22:50
You have just described my body! I have the exact same tension spots. Do you have back left shoulder blade as well? I have pain that runs down the left blade and if I move in a certain way I can 'crack' it.

puppyskin
19-07-10, 23:01
yes,it run right down my shoulder blade it feels like a tear,only when im sitting in a certain way though,,when i try pull my shoulders down towards the floor it hurts like hell.i also get a slight throbbing in left forearm too.

fourth_letter
20-07-10, 02:53
I have had this as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I had it it was due to constant anxiety and my muscles being tensed up all the time. There are also a lot of nerve endings in your upper body/arms. If you hurt your shoulder it can go all the way down to your fingertips. As far as the chest issue, I have something called costochondritis. There is safe info here so you don't have to google: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

dodo
20-07-10, 09:23
I have that in between my ribs on the left as well. This is all on my left side, not on the right. It's because I have a fear of there being something wrong with my heart so I tense that side up. My chiropractor worked wonders on it for a while but I cna't keep going back as it costs too much, lol.

Thumbelina
20-07-10, 09:34
i think if doctor said nothing much serious, write it off on anxiety. The symptoms and sensations are often are so real that it is hard to believe it is not cancer or worse, but Anxiety is a crafty thing and it comes in many outfits.

Gareth
20-07-10, 09:41
Yeah I feel like this too. It is one of the things that causes me most distress over this whole anxiety thing. My shoulders are constantly tense and painful. The muscles that run down from my skull to my neck are bunched up and painful and I have limited movement in my neck. Also the trapezius muscle on my right side is really really sore, feels like someone is sticking a knife into it.

Looking at all the replies you are getting, I would say this is one of the most common symptoms of chronic anxiety.

puppyskin
20-07-10, 15:11
i dont seem to get any relief,does anyone else?

MightyPC
20-07-10, 17:09
I have had pain mainly in my right shoulder, top right side back and neck too for some months. If my partner tries to massage me it is really sore. I have started to get it on the left side too now and I also get alot of pain at the base of my spine. Don`t know what it is or what has caused it though someone recommended Reiki to me for the relief which i am going to try.

ditzy
20-07-10, 21:41
I got myself into a right state just over a week ago where I thought I had cancer (again) and I must have been tensing up that much for days that I had really painful shoulders, chest, upper back and even below my ribs in my stomach. It was that bad that I could not sleep for days. The doctor put me on a tricylic anti-depressant called doxepin which you take every evening a couple of hours before you go to bed. It is really good for anxiety too as it acts as a slight muscle relaxant and aids sleep. The first night I took it I was amazed I slept all the way through no problems and after a couple of days all the pains had gone. Certainly helped for me.