PDA

View Full Version : Low dose Citalopram derealisation?

jill07
20-07-10, 10:58
Hey all, 3rd day on Citalopram today, started 2 evenings at 2.5mg, then last night 5mg (small I know, but better than nothing).
Anyway, started with acid indigestion and nausea pretty much straight away but that seems to be settling (headaches too), but now I have a major problem with depersonalisation/derealisation.... I have always suffered this, but as of yest afternoon it has got severe... worst I have ever known, to the extent that some moments I question my grip on reality! Horrible feeling, whacks me out totally and I struggle to do anything which is pants, as forms a vicious circle of too much worry time. I feel totally away with the fairies.... I may as well be drugged or drunk!
Also having major hot sweats.... dripping buckets and feel boiling hot. Got a bit of a cough and cold so dont suppose that helps.
Is this normal at such a low dose? I foolishly thought that by building up slowly the effects wouldnt be too bad. Want to get up to the 10mg in next few days, but are these effects likely to get much worse? And does the citalopram eventually help the derealisation?
Wondering how long do I persevere, have heard such good things about it when it kicks in that would like to give it a chance... or should I consider a swap to escitalopram?

keta
20-07-10, 11:35
Hi Jill

It's early days and the side effects are the worst in first week or two so try to stick it out. If in a month or two you still have bad derealisation then i would speak to your GP, What i read about escitalopram it has exactly the same side effects as citalopram as same group of drugs.

Did you know that if you trying to cut 2.5mg from your 10mg tablet the main ingredients is not equaly spread, they are not designed to be halfed. So from what you know you might be getting 10 mg in your system already.

Keta

jill07
20-07-10, 11:42
Thanks Keta, hadnt thought of that..... would be a bonus if so!
Im trying to keep busy, just swept the stairs but sweating buckets now so need yet another shower.... eurgh!
Def want to give it a fair chance.... Ive struggled to leave the house in the last few months and very rarely drive.... want my independance and confidence back! I cant wait to be free of this constant thinking... it never stops, and the harder I try not to think the more I do.... my mind is dog tired.... x

keta
20-07-10, 11:51
I think that's the best way to try to keep yourself busy so you don't think of the side effects too much, i had to carry on working when i started my course and it helped to keep my mind occupied. I know it's hard i could not sleep the first week at all and had bad nausea and had to constatly run to toilet and headaches but it's all much better now after 2.5 month so it does take a while. It does take a month or two for the tablets to work so we all have to be patient with it and just take it easy.
I went from 10 mg to 20 mg two weeks ago and some of the side effects did return so each time you increase you may expect that. But as i said cutting 10mg tablet you have no guarantee what dose you actualy taking.

:hugs:

Keta