PDA

View Full Version : Don't know whether to return to work yet

paulaf
20-07-10, 12:41
I have been off work for 2 weeks and my GP signed me off for another week (next week) but she said it was up to me if I wanted to go back or not. I am totally unsure what to do - if I wait another week it might just make it harder to go back when I do. I am scared of having panic attacks when I am back there and scared of everyone looking at me, asking questions about why I have been off and just don't know if I can handle it. But then will another week really help?

Vixxy
20-07-10, 12:53
Another week could make all the difference. I suggest that during this week you go and visit your workplace and see how you feel. If you feel ok, then you can go back to work asap if not then you can decide to take a little more time.

Thumbelina
20-07-10, 13:29
It will feel hard to come back, but I trully believe that work can actually help you to move - at work your thoughts will have to be disciplined and you will have a plan. At home you are vegetating. you do not have so many motivators to pull yourself out. My opinion - not to delay starting work. You will feel "normal" and not an outsider faster. Even if you will not do much, it will help you to take your mind of yourself and focus on different issues.

Be proud of your experience when look at people faces. Have they battled the panic attack and came out on the other end and turned to work? Have they felt the sheer of terror and lack of air. Some of them maybe - and they would understand - the rest its not for them to judge.

Wish you to believe in yourself

Dahlia
20-07-10, 13:48
Paulaf, could you have a phased return to work? That is an option on sick certificates now - your GP could recommend, for example, that you could start week 1 back at work for 2 days, then build up from there. It might seem less overwhelming for you.

Dahlia

northernjay
20-07-10, 14:27
I would agree with the above.

I had the exact same situation last year. Work got so bad I was getting so worked up that I just couldn't face going in. The doctor signed me off with "exhaustion" however she insisted that I return to see her before the two weeks were up.

Upon seeing her again she reviewed my current state and agreed to sign me off for an additional 4 days, therefore I would return to work on the Friday. She explained that by going back on the Friday (which tends to be a more relaxed working day than the others) I would only have to face one day and then I'd have the weekend before returning full time on the Monday.

It worked out really well, I was really nervous on the Friday and wasn't looking forward to the questions of "what's been wrong with you", though thankfully the day passed quite quickly and I only had a few people ask and I just said I'd had a relapse of glandular fever.

I know for a fact that if I'd gone back on the Monday I'd have got so worked up on the Sunday evening that I would likely not have gone back Monday morning.

absentia
20-07-10, 15:05
The longer you sit at home the longer you will have to worry about it, therefore the bigger the fear of returning will get. I think in cases like this it is best to get back into work as soon as possible. If all goes well on the first day back you will hopefully gain some confidence that will ultimately help you get over your current situation.

paulaf
20-07-10, 18:27
Thanks for your advice everyone, it is much appreciated. I think I will return to work next week but will ask my manager about whether I can do a bit of a phased return. I have just changed over to a new manager too so the first time I speak to her will be about this problem that she had no idea about - my old manager will have filled her in. I wish I could just say 'I've been off with anxiety' without a fear of people looking at me differently but sadly I don't think they would understand. I just can't risk it. I hope one day things will be different and there wont be this stigma attached to mental illness. I will let you know how the potential return to work goes!

Thumbelina
20-07-10, 19:03
Good plan!!! It will be better then lying at home being I'll.

nikki102
20-07-10, 20:35
Good luck with going back to work. I'm sure it will be a lot easier than you think. Don't feel ashamed about saying 'I've been off with anxiety'. You'll be surprised at how many of your work friends have probably had anxiety or know a close friend/relative that has.

kelkel
20-07-10, 21:49
i have been signed off for 1 week but am hoping for 1 more week just to train myself to cope with the anxiety and learn how to control it. i think 2 weeks just to rest and gather ya thoughts and try and gain sme control is enough, not so long u get anxious about going back but long enough to learn alot about yaself and rest xx good luck xx