PDA

View Full Version : anxiety

herbl
20-02-06, 16:54
Hi, I feel really stupid but I am desperate. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for years. It really does restrict my life. I will not travel on planes, trains or boats and I am desperate to take my children abroad but I cannot do it. Has anyone any suggestions. How can you overcome this fear if you cannot even face it? I have tried medication and cbt. how will I ever get to go anywhere if I cannot try it. Once on board a plane or train I am trapped and cannot get off!

Ammeg
20-02-06, 17:00
Hey herbl,
Firstly your not stupid- everyone on here gets nervous about different things but we are all basically in the same position!! Have you seen your doctor about your anxiety? Thats the first step! Unfortunatly there is no on the spot cure (that I know of) but after suffering for 3 and a half years i have learned to just get on with things!! yes its hard and yes it makes you feel awful and sick but if you dont do them because of your fear you probably will never be able to!! Obviously im no proffesional but this is what I have found with my anxiety!! theres lots of fab people on here and we all help each other!!
Ammegxxx

trac67
20-02-06, 17:01
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Ammeg
20-02-06, 17:17
I was so confused- you edited your last comment- it said you were last to write but there was nothing there!!!
I know this sounds harsh herb; but you have to make yourself face it!! what symptoms do you get???

Karen
20-02-06, 17:49
Hi Herbl

Welcome to the forum.

You might like to start with the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) and Symptoms (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=symptoms) articles.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

tnt808
20-02-06, 17:52
Herb,

I sympathize with you. I too suffer from the same thing. I am living in Hawaii husband is military and we are due to transfer to the mainland in June. We bought a cruise thinking that would be better (unfortunately it wasn't). We cancelled the cruise, and are hoping that I can get on the plane. I don't know how to do it either. I have tried to explain the suffering to people but they just tell me to take a pill and to "suck it up". Well, if you ever find a way how to deal with this I would love to know. In the meantime I am here if you need to talk. I guess we just take it one day at a time,

Tina

nomorepanic
20-02-06, 18:28
Hi Herbl

Welcome aboard.

You may like to try Hypnotherapy to help you get back on a plane - I did. I still don't like it but I did manage to do it after Hypnotherapy. Try this page on the website - How Hypnotherapy can help with Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=hypnotherapy)

Also try this ....

Aviophobia (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=aviophobia)

Good luck

Nicola

sal
20-02-06, 23:21
Hi Herb

Welcome to the site. I know how hard it is and keep trying and you will succeed. We will help you all we can.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

jill
21-02-06, 00:47
Hi Herbi

WELCOME TO THE SITE :D

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX

feege
21-02-06, 10:34
Welcome to the site..

There are no easy answers but you will find loads of support and make friends here who will help you through the hard work involved in taking the small steps needed to make progress...

Read as many links as possible and be nice to yourself!

We are all in the same boat one way or another - at least we know we are not alone!!

Good luck xxx

fee
xx

Alexandra
01-03-06, 15:52
Hi Herbl

Welcome to the forum.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

kathryn
01-03-06, 19:03
hi herbl.

I had never been abroad, until my sister insisted that i go with the family, she spoke to me for 2hours on the phone to try and convince me, so in the end i said yes.
once i said it i felt trapped, as my two daughters were so excited about going.

Oh my god what shall i do now.
i went to my gp he did give me some tablets, which i must admit did help, but i think the thing that helped me the most was the fact my family were there for me.
We all sang songs as we went through Dartford tunnel, ( as i was petrified), i had a couple of drinks at the airport, but i must say if you tell the air line of your anxiety you will find them very very surportive.
I was so embarresed, as i thought i would make a fool of my self, but trust me you can do it, but you have to think on the positive line, ( i know this is easy to say) but trust me you can do it.

just take one step at a time, visit a airport or the docks, walk around and get a feel for the place, this will help too.

try to focus on whats going on around you instead of your fears, it does help me.

good luck Kathryn :)

Meg
02-03-06, 00:06
Flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3092)
flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440)
anxious need some reasurance from my friends here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918)
plane tommorrow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7374)

What would be in your 'Anxiety Toolbox'? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3938)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

bobsy
02-03-06, 08:43
I know how you feel. I had not been on a plane for years but a couple of years ago my sister and family were going abroad and they asked me and my family to go. I wanted to go so much and i knew this was the best way to go, with someone else, family even better. so we booked it and i did not think about it until say 2 weeks to go. then wham bam it hit me. anyway got some tabs from dr and had a Little (ok large) drink before igot on plane (crying). I had read in a book that if you can get on the plane (or train etc) you will do it so i kept that in mind. I had my headphones on all the time listening to relaxtion tapes and tried to watch tv but did not move, even to go to loo. lol. What also helped me was the fact that i kept thinking its just like going to my in-laws who live two hours away from me and thats how long i was on the plane for which i felt did work. i like you was worried i wanted to get off but i thought when we go 2 hours in the car ito in laws I used to worry i wanted to stop but never did so i kept that in mind. I also never looked at my watch as if we had only been in air say 25 mins i would then worry i had another hour or so to go and i still had time to panic. I also used to think there are so many people on the plane someone is going to have some medical knowledge lol, so not knowing how long we had been in air was better for me. I also paid and pre booked my seats which means you no where you are sitting on plane so you can plan it in you mind. it does cost but hey if it makes you feel better i dont mind paying.

hope this helps

good luck bobsy

bobsy

kelmallorca
02-03-06, 10:18
hi im looking for the same advice as i am flying soon to, 10 times this year, im seeing a hypnotherapist so ill let you know how i go
any more advice would be good

kerry xxx

sal
02-03-06, 23:22
Hi Herb

You have had some great replies. How are you feeling?

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

herbl
05-03-06, 08:41
I would like to thank eveyone for their replies. I still feel I cannot do it. It is that feeling of not being able to get off that worries me. What if I am ill and need to get to a doctor. A bit difficult when I am up in the air! But I will hopefully one day do it. I just feel so useless to my children that I cannot do what their mates parents do.

Meg
05-03-06, 10:03
Herbl

Everyone up there is in the same position and more people than you know are thinking exactly the same as you. This crosses everyones mind.

Its about recognising that all steps we take in life carry an element of risk and what amount are we prepared to accept. The chances of you needing a doctor that urgently is highly unlikely and even then there are often people aboad willing to help.

I know all these 'what ifs' having been through them myself but as you do step out of your comfort zone, you will see how well prepared and how helpful people really are.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

herbl
10-03-06, 21:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Herb

You have had some great replies. How are you feeling?

Love Sal xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by sal - 02 March 2006 : 23:22:17</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

sal
11-03-06, 00:03
Herb firstly it takes time to over come this and judging yourself like i did wont make it any easier. Dont judge yourself to other parents we all have our faults and who is to say that they are any better than we are. You are doing your best with how you feel and that is all that counts, trust me.

Someone who didnt care wouldnt even question this so you are leaps and bounds ahead of that and want to do the best for them however you feel. That is someone that cares and loves thenm and wont give in to how they feel. I admire you for your strength and you should to.

Love Sal xx