PDA

View Full Version : Atsos Medical Assesment in the morning...frightened!!!

87sal87
22-07-10, 13:30
Hi guys,

I have to go for one of those horrible medical asessments tomorrow morning & I'm scared stiff! I've been for a couple in the past & they've always been a terrible experience, to have to discuss my problems with a stranger is just frightening for me.

Now I'm getting all my anxious feelings back, heart pounding, can't breathe properly, stomach pains, feeling very sick :(

I've already cancelled it once & they said I can't cancel it again :(
I was gonna try for a home visit but I had to get aload of info from my doctor who I hate going to see, not because of him himself but because I get too panicky in the waiting room & he's never there lately anyway...plus, I didn't like the thought of anyone from there coming into my house :(

I don't know what to do. I've had to scrap plans for uni because of all this anxiety so how can I find work?

blueangel
22-07-10, 14:56
This is a bit of a tough one, as without the assessment you might not get all the benefits that you're entitled to, which will be really rough on you. So.... you need to get there somehow or other.

Is there someone that you could take with you for moral support? Member of the family or a friend? They could at least come with you to wherever you've got to go, and sit with you while you're waiting, even if they aren't allowed in the consulting room with you.

Things are never quite as bad if you've got a buddy!

Vixxy
22-07-10, 15:38
I used to take my mum with me whenever I went for mine.
You could also spend this evening writing a list of all of your problems and how it effects your life. Write it clearly and hand it to the doctor when you go in to see them. Make sure you explain how scared you are and that you will try your best to get through the interview, but you might need to leave.

87sal87
22-07-10, 17:23
Thanks guys. My sister is gonna take the day off work to come with me bless her! So that will help but I'm still scared.
Thanks for the advice. I'm just gonna have to go & get through it best I can :(

nervy-paul
22-07-10, 18:30
I have had a few of these horrid assessments in the past, the most recent one was just last month. It is a thought, having to go through it. I had a support worker from NSF Scotland (Rethink in E&W) come with me, she has known me for years and I couldn't have got through it without her. All the very best with your appointment tomorrow, hope it isn't too bad a ordeal for you, and let us know how you get on. Take care :))

87sal87
23-07-10, 10:03
I've got to set out soon & I'm so scared, I'm crying & just wishing for someone to help me... :( I don't know what to do, I'm thinking of just not bothering, I don't think I can...
The "benefits" they give you aren't even worth this :(

Vixxy
23-07-10, 11:17
You can do this and when you do youll feel a sense of acheivment that you managed it.

nervy-paul
23-07-10, 11:30
Vixxy's right. I felt the same the last time I did it, but I got through it and though drained by the experience, felt some sense of achievement. Take care.

87sal87
23-07-10, 15:34
Well, I did it, I was in a right state in the waiting room & got upset in the consulting room, I felt so stupid but I did it all the same.

Just so glad it's over with, but I feel horrible now. Drained, headache, palps, aching. :( Un-nesscary stress :(

Vixxy
23-07-10, 15:55
Treat yourself to a takeaway, a movie or a box of chocolates and a book. Just reward yourself for doing so well today!