PDA

View Full Version : How Many Of Us Are Able To Work?

Pages : [1] 2

Phill2
21-02-06, 02:16
Does your condition let you work?

Don't believe everything you think.

Quirky
21-02-06, 03:38
I work part time but that's because I have ME not because of the anxiety.

Lisa

Phill2
21-02-06, 03:43
Hi Lisa
Excuse my ignorance but what is ME?

trevor
21-02-06, 07:33
CANT WORK,

better to fight for something than to live for nothing

florence
21-02-06, 08:43
I work full time. I couldn't stay home, doing nothing, it would make me worse.

Florence.

*** Instead of giving myself reasons why I can't, I give myself reasons why I can. ***

Jenny
21-02-06, 08:54
I finished working part-time last year. Not because of anxiety. The time was right for me. I worked on reception in a doctors surgery, and I was finding it very hard to have to say no to people. The whole system was changing rapidly and my heart wasn't in it any more after 18 years !!

Jenny xxx

Phill2
21-02-06, 09:23
I can relate to you Florence. Thats exactly why I work too.
Phill

cam
21-02-06, 10:14
im the same as afew others on here.....would make me so much worse not workin...to much time on my hands would make me go off the wall.....

Cam.......

geordielady
21-02-06, 10:19
i have had a few part time jobs and had to leave because of anxiety and depression im really trying to stick this one out but with eveything that has happened i dont know how long i can keep it up im so down right now...........

p gregory

Dusty
21-02-06, 10:22
I work Part-time and because I feel confident at doing my job it acts a distraction and not a worry.

I wish I could feel as confident about other area's of my life!

Dusty xx

PMT - Proof that God must be a man.

darkangel
21-02-06, 12:56
I had to leave my job 8 years ago because of anixety, depression and agoraphobia. I have tried part time work but only lasted a few days.

I now do some voluntary office work which I love and there is no time limit on it so if I feel awful after arriving, I know I can leave so I dont feel trapped but I do usually manage 2 - 3 hours on a good day.

I wish I could return to work to give me some structure to my week.
I admire those people who are living with anxiety and panic attacks and are holding down a job as well.

Take care everyone
Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

EebyJeeby
21-02-06, 13:06
Have a full-time job but currently on sick leave as part of my anxiety is caused by stress at work (?burnout). Will probably go back part-time, when the time comes. I am enjoying the freedom of time off after many years of working and bringing up a child. I feel like I deserve a rest (and my body clearly agrees too or it wouldn't have fired such an obvious shot across the bow)!

Ammeg
21-02-06, 13:12
me cant work!!! :( but id love too!!! cant go out on me own and for some strange reason they wont let me take a family member to work with me!! lol!!!

wendy
21-02-06, 20:03
I had managed to work with Panic Attacks for 10 plus years but since I got worse with anxiety have been off for 4weeks so far - Cant face getting out of bed some days so dont think I will be back in near future, Am on long term sick with a very none understanding boss, so think my future with that company is over

alexis
21-02-06, 20:38
I work full time, but this is down to the nature of work and the flexibility of my wonderful work colleagues.xxx

Most of lifes battles are won, by looking beyond the clouds to the sun:
and having the patience to wait for the day,when the sun comes out and the clouds go away.

love from Alexisxx

clickaway
21-02-06, 20:49
I haven't had a paid job for two years, and just a very few hours voluntary work.

I have great difficulty having a good night's sleep and then waking in the morning. Consequently, I don't have so many hours to fill. I make sure I don't mope around watching TV, and am usually out of the house in the afternoon.

I miss the 'people' aspect of work, and would like to get back there on a part-time basis, probably doing something totally different to earn 'holiday money'.

I'm very fortunate in that I was given early retirement and redundancy soon after my anxiety got bad, and so can pay the bills without depending on benefits etc. I'm 52 now.

Ray
http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Forrest
22-02-06, 02:05
I work tell i drop as of the last few months not one day off but just a few for doc app its the onlything that keeps me going!!!And breing in alot of income does help as well because i dont want to worry about not making my bills as well just if i didnt do that there is more axiety on my plate and on a day off i cant find thing to keep my mind off my health axiety so i start to drift and wonder with the what if thinking and the o.c.d of looking up deases on the net wich iam banned from docs in doing so iam only able to go to two sites this one and my ibs site...

petegms
22-02-06, 16:11
i have been jobless for around 5 months now because of anxiety. I am on some new meds now so i think i am going to give it another shot in a couple weeks. =)

kimmy
22-02-06, 20:54
I work, i too couldnt stay at home. I believe me being at home in the first place made me depressed. I have 2 children and they are both in school now. The job was a real boost for me, a distraction. But even though alot may not work, a home life with family and children can and is often full time job in itself! xx

nomorepanic
22-02-06, 22:37
I have to work or lose house and all the luxuries I have.

Have always worked to keep going and get normality in life

Nicola

Alexandra
23-02-06, 11:31
I gave up my job due to ill health. The door was left open for me to go back but after the depression went it went into agraphobia.

The more i worried about the work situation the worse i felt about the confirmation of the agraphobia & some of the depression id had previously came back, but i rose above that & let work go for my own well being as i was getting no where fast fretting about it all so much.

The depression & stress was really all related from my work & personal stuff when i was living at home, basically it had all snow balled out of control. The personal area ceased to be a problem when i managed to find my own flat. Even though i was'nt completely out of the woods i did feel abit better than i had been.

It had been like a great big weight around my neck & when i finally had enough courage to let go of work i felt so much better, it has really been a turning point for me things have slowly looked up from that time on.

Things can only get better.

Alexandra

Ma Larkin
23-02-06, 13:52
Hi everyone, cop this then! I work full-time (40 hours per week), am a single mum with 3 kids, run a home, at the moment my eldest daughter has IBS, my youngest son has a broken leg, my ex-hubby is sulking cos his latest love has just dumped him, my first hubby has just proposed to what will be his 3rd wife & hasn't told his 2nd wife yet or got divorced from her! Working full time keeps me sane, I don't know why as I work as Personal Assistant to the 57 councillors of my local Council. Can you imagine the abuse day in, day out, people not getting their bins emptied, street lights not working, pot holes in the roads, etc., you name it, I get it. I've been in trouble at work for having time off. After I took the overdose I was off for 16 weeks, but that was because of massive panic attacks, upto 20 a day. To cut a long story short, I cannot even have an hour off sick now. Don't get me wrong, my managers have been so supportive, but working for the Local Authority has its policies and Human Resources are quite harsh. Visits at home, written warnings, Stage 1 interviews, Stage 2 interviews, the list goes on. If I am ill now I have to book a day's holiday!! The good thing about it, is we have our own Occupational Health Unit & they have been wonderful; i've had counselling, medicals, & if I go into panic mode I just nip next door (handy isn't it having an Occy Health Unit right next to my office haha!!) If I didn't work full-time I think I would probably be agrophobic like a lot of people on this site, but I have to work, I can't afford not to. I suppose there are lots of people in the same boat as me, but its my only bit of independence & like I said before, it keeps me sane!

kate
23-02-06, 15:50
But, aren't we always being told not to avoid things as this will just intensify the fear? Does not giving up work due to anxiety/depression also fall within the "avoiding" category?

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

Tomimo
23-02-06, 16:32
I am training to be a teacher and am split between uni/school.

There are days when I hva wanted to stay in bed but I find that work keeps me motivated and provides a welcome distraction when things are rough.

Annie x

Alexandra
25-02-06, 10:37
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">But, aren't we always being told not to avoid things as this will just intensify the fear? Does not giving up work due to anxiety/depression also fall within the "avoiding" category?

Kate

<div align="right">Originally posted by kate - 23 February 2006 : 15:50:41</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> Hi Kate. If its for your own well being & to keep you sane & to not be a nervous wreck all the time then sometimes it is for the best best to let go.

Please also note that some people like myself end up without a choice in the end. Everyone's situation is different than the next persons.

Im just telling it as it is.

My boss didint want to understand my situation, he would just (so to speak) brush it under the carpet & i think secretly hoping that it would just go away)
I tried & tried my best to get through to him. In the end i went over his head to his boss who actually did something, by then it was to late i was so worn out with everything, i was in tears every lunch time on the phone to my partner who was angry & upset that my supervisor was doing this to me. My doctor even said to me that i needed to get out of there before things really did get out of control.

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Karen
25-02-06, 12:01
I don't work at present and haven't for about 6 years now but the reason I lost my job was not because of my depression or anxiety. I've experienced these since the age of about 12, went to college for 2 years after school and then straight into a job.

The reason for not working is because I have chronic RSI and I was made redundant from my last job because of it.

I do agree that the longer we remain out of work anxiety and self-doubt creep in and it becomes harder to return.

When I am well enough I hope to re-train and do a psychotherapy course next year - unfortunately I have not been well enough to start this year's course and the next one starts next January.

I have goals I would like to achieve and within the next couple of years I would like to be running my own therapy service.

Karen

Happiness is not a state to arrive at but a manner of travelling.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough ~ Christine Cagney, Cagney & Lacey

Alexandra
25-02-06, 12:29
Good for you Karen re the goals you can do it hun. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Quirky
25-02-06, 13:43
Hi Jullip,

Sorry I didn't reply and answer your question earlier, there are so many posts about right now I must have missed your question.

ME is M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Encephalopathy) is a chronic, fluctuating illness. It is also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). The illness affects many parts of the body such as the nervous and immune systems. The most common symptoms are severe fatigue or exhaustion, problems with memory and concentration and muscle pain.
There are many other symptoms too.

Do remember though most people with tiredness and aches and pains do not/will not have ME, anxiety alone can make us tired and achy.

Lisa

shakylady
25-02-06, 15:51
My dream goal is to work and be independent and am not giving up on trying to make this happen, I think once I have reached this goal I will get back some well needed confidence and dignity!!

I admire anyone who works whilst fighting this anxiety monster!!

kate
25-02-06, 15:54
Alexandra,

The point I was making is doesn't giving up work fall into the avoiding category? If it is best for us not to feel like wrecks, for our own well being etc then we will never again go into any situations that make us anxious! I was merely asking why the working environment should be treated any differently to any other situation that causes us to panic.

When you replied to my post with your own experiences, you are unaware of mine. You don't know if I work or not, what I suffer with or how long I have suffered.

Kate

Piglet
25-02-06, 20:01
I have a small part time job and I am currently studying to become a reflexologist too.

I really hope to be back to full time employment eventually and the part time job is a good compromise as it keeps me with a foot in the door.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Underkill
25-02-06, 20:18
At the moment i cannot work due to my anxiety. I am always hyperventilating and getting distressed. I can hardly sleep and i have a drinking problem too. A lot of people (including so called 'family members') think i'm faking it and talk trash about me behind my back.
If i was in the right state of mind to work - BELIEVE ME I WOULD WORK.

pauline
26-02-06, 10:23
Hi All

I work 2 part-time jobs which adds up to full-time hours. I had a lovely admin job but i gave it up because i could not travel on the buses at that time panic was out of control. Because i had 3 children i went on income support. After some years and children had grown up i had to then claim Incapacity benefit and then's when i started to get help for the anxiety and panic attacks.

Because you need a doctors note as to why i could not work, my doctor's sent me for councelling and i now have a CPN who has helped me so much. I would love to get back to admin work but i am finding it very hard, have applied for so many jobs and heard nothing back. So for now i work in the school's kitchens and also clean at the same school. I don't mind these jobs but the pay is not that good and i stuggle to pay my bills and its a contant worry. I said to my daughter the other day that i was thinking of giving up work she said not to or i would never leave the house. I still have dreadful days of panic when i am at work but i stay because i have to and i hate to let people down so for me it's better that i work. We all have to do what is best for us.

Take care

Pauline

Phill2
26-02-06, 10:41
Hi Pauline
You show great courage and determination by staying when things are bad. Congratulations on being able to do it!!

mumof4
26-02-06, 14:13
I work full time well 32 hours aweek in a busy petrol station,

sometimes it gets to me but other times no, i have to work i need the money and plus i enjoy it.

if i was just to sit in the house it would make me worse.

on my good days im fine i have no problems at all but other days i actuall stand behind the till and my legs are shaking.

sal
26-02-06, 22:51
I work because i have to with the debts i have. Hate the job so i am looking for something different. When i have felt so bad with anxiety i have had months of as couldnt do it.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

Sue K with 5
26-02-06, 23:52
I work full time from home, sounds like a bit of a cop out but with agoraphobia its the only way I can try and lead as normal a life as possible

Sue with 5 ( oh and thats the other reason ) five children

scknight

Sue K with 5
26-02-06, 23:54
I work full time from home, sounds like a bit of a cop out but with agoraphobia its the only way I can try and lead as normal a life as possible

Sue with 5 ( oh and thats the other reason ) five children

scknight

andrewjdavid2005
27-02-06, 23:44
I don't work because of my anxiety, well not just because of that, i have 3 kids to look after as well (2 of which have cystic fibrosis). as well as another child on theway there's no way i could work, i don't feel fit enought to anyway.

mandiemae
02-03-06, 10:37
i worked part-time until just the end of last year. working kept an element of reality and ability to distract from personal issues. I resigned after taking my first major panic attack. the works space is tiny and with new systems being put in trainers were there too, a space barely able to fit 3 people this day had 7! i freaked out and they snubbed my situation as stupidity and after that the bitchiness sored. i would go into work and no-one would talk to me. it was depressing, so the one thing that gave me a hint of normality had turned into hell.

After the panic attack, they wouldnt let me go home, no sympathy, nothing. It was a new experience for me and was terriffied, but the "act normal" bit in my brain kicked in. Not to mention the fact that a few months previous i was attacked by a group of thugs and left with a broken rib, you would have though that any humane notion these people should have they could have at least been slightly sympathetic. Sorry, thinking about it again is getting my blood boiling.:(

W.I.F.T.S.
02-03-06, 12:39
I work full time, but I have to, I couldn't afford not to.

I'm in a job that I absolutely hate and which is probably responsible for a lot of my panic attacks, but I have struggled to find anything else, so I'm still there, which probably has a lot to do with why I'm depressed.

Everyday there is an ordeal and there have been days when I just haven't been able to face it and I've phoned in sick. Plenty of other people have walked out in disgust and desperation mid-shift.

I'm also doing some unpaid work more along the lines of what I want to do with a view to impressing and creating a job for myself or using it on my CV. But I'm spending all morning on my unpaid job and then doing a 2-10 shift in my other job and it is starting to wear me down.

I agree though, I couldn't just sit at home, that really would depress me.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

chop
02-03-06, 15:25
I was jsut starting to get back into work and earning good money and now I was run over so anxiety is terrible now and cant work anyway :( Its all getting worse but yes I was getting back up there..

I am having accident flashbacks now while I sit and do ntohign with leg and makes it worse. I will get back to work as soon as I can.

Chop

Learning to under react

Blue Child
29-03-06, 10:23
I work from Monday to Friday and I am an educational professional. It is incredibly difficult for me, as I tend to hide behind a wall when I am at work,as I find that this is the only thing that keeps me in there. I constantly have to fight back panic/anxiety and the urge to just get up and walk out of work all together. I think that it is only because I am incredibly stubborn and refuse to give in that keeps me in my job. I know that if I allow the depression to force me into giving up work then that will be the end of me and I will never go back. I know that financially my whole family will suffer and so I keep plodding along. Lots of the time I am exhausted and near breaking point, but I have to keep looking forward. Not sure how long I can keep this up, but I am determined not to let the depression beat me...so at the moment I am running a bit of a pitched battle.

delta
31-03-06, 22:20
I work p/t on a voluntary basis at the moment.

I worked from home for 6 years after I had my kids which I think made my anxiety worse being shut away by myself all day every day. I gave up work 3 years ago to recover from an operation and never went back, I've done various voluntary jobs in that time and am now studying p/t too. Financially I can't stay off work any longer, I need to get a job but am finding it hard to find one that fits in around my family, I have no extended family that help me out so it's difficult but hopefully something will turn up soon.

I'm very worried how I will cope out in the world of work again with my anxiety problems. :(

classiclady
02-04-06, 19:47
I was Full time but the work was causing my depression to become bad so i am leaving

MardyBum
02-04-06, 22:32
find it hard to work but do sell on ebay from home to help pay my way!

Forrest
03-04-06, 11:45
i work fulltime even more then 40 hours a week its hard but i do it!!

Phill2
03-04-06, 23:14
Good for you Forest. I've found it gets easier ith time.
Please don't think I'm taking anything away from those unable to work as I've been there myself. I know you're doing your best and you WILL get there.
Phill

pinklady1
14-04-06, 15:30
Hi everyone
I work full time for various reasons. When fairly free from anxiety, depression etc I am a very extrovert person who likes to be with people. Also I need the money! But I love my job as it is a 'target'. All the time I can do 'normal' things like work and socialise I feel I am a 'normal' person.

pinklady1

Dave
14-04-06, 22:17
I'm currently working 37.5 hours a week in my new job, I work as a nurse in the NHS. Had to leave the last place as it was stressful, this new post is more manageable although still has it's moments. The things that affect my anxiety the most are the level of responsibility and ever increasing paperwork which we have to do. I'm hoping I'll be able to stick with it as the money is decent and jobs in the NHS are becoming rare.

Coni
15-04-06, 09:54
Hi Everyone,

I work 30 hours a week...if I didnt we'd have to give up on a lot! I also think being out at work does me good. Unfortunately though I absolutely HATE my job. I work in the NHS and the responsibility is never ending (I have 24 hour responsibility for the people in my care) and I find it impossible to switch off.

I reduced my hours by one day after being off sick for 7 months with stress, but have now been given an even more stressful caseload and am expected to do the work of a full time colleague in four days. I hate having to say no (I'm a real people pleaser) so end up coming in on days off, working late, working through lunch etc.

I have a constant knot in my stomach, cant sleep, overeact to stress, cry easily and can feel myself slipping again. Cant go off sick and fail again (cant let everyone or myself down again). I want to apply for other jobs but my confidence is so shot to bits, I dont even know if I'd be able to fill the form in or get through an interview. I try to give 100% while I'm at work and try not to let how I'm feeling affect the care I provide, so its the rest of my life that suffers.

Anyway, sorry for waffling.....I know I'm lucky to have a job and be able to go out to work.

Coni X

Dave
15-04-06, 22:57
I feel for you Coni, the NHS seems stressful these days. My manager was saying how things have changed so much recently and he thinks most of it's for the worst.

Are other careers just as stressful? I've thought about leaving nursing but don't want to find that I'm still unhappy in another job. Been offered a job with my dad but that involves a lot of driving around to unknown places which I'm not keen on.

Coni
16-04-06, 12:07
Hi Dave,

i think its hard when you've been in nursing in one way or another for so long to pluck up the courage to completely change direction. I dont know if other careers are so bad but I suspect they might be (not that I'm prone to negative thinking lol).

I would love to teach primary school children, but is teaching the same.....I know teachers who are also on the verge of burnout.

I know what you mean .......I'd hate to go from the frying pan into the fire!

The job with your dad sounds like an option....tell him I'll come and work for him lol!

Shaz
08-05-06, 18:20
Hi Jullip
I work part time, but am also studying fulltime for my degree.

Thanks
Shaz

What cannot be fitted into your day, cannot be done - forget about it!

Shaz
13-05-06, 21:17
Hi Jullip
I work part time and am also studying for a degree. It's not easy, but I'm determined to succeed as the anxiety is not going to spoil this as well.

Shaz

What cannot be fitted into your day, cannot be done - forget about it!

samjane
14-05-06, 06:58
i work full time as a practice manager for a dental surgery, its full on most days and this seems to help me as odd as that sounds. don't get me wrong there are days when i am sat in meetings and the panic comes on but if i need to get up and go out for a bit thats what i do, but most of the time i just get on with it.

there was a time when i gave up work for about 7 months and i never went out but then i thought get up get out and get a job it was hard but the best thing i did.

[^] :D [;) ][^]

Love & Light

Sam x

clarky
14-05-06, 15:12
Hi

I agree with all of you who have said you work because, if not it would make you worse! If I didn't work, I would seriously be mad :D

Even though I often feel terrible and really anxious, working gives me routine and something to get up for every day. The structure of it keeps me going.

In fact weekends for me, even if I am busy, are often much more anxiety filled that weekdays. Is any one else like that? I really wish it could be different. To be honest, I often look forward to going back to work on a Monday.

lol xx

Nicki22
12-06-06, 13:28
Hi everyone...I dont work i suffer panic attacks and cant be left on my own or go anywere alone...my Fiance also doesnt work as he does his best to look after me..

im really glad to have found this site...as i dont think anyone really understands wot we go through

chedda
12-06-06, 15:31
I worked with panic attacks for quite a few years and spent a lot of the timewalking around the store with the tunnel vision feelings and the unreal feelings had to give up to look after my sone after a major op(hes fine now) but panic attacks got worse and im now agoraphobic and dont go out at all so unless i could find home employment im stuck...lol

May Day
12-06-06, 22:56
I work part time but that's my choice. I could work more if i wanted to. My work is interesting and enjoyable and is one of the main things that keeps me going on many days. I'd fall to pieces if i stayed at home.

The brightest, sunniest day may follow the darkest, stormiest night ... enjoy the sun

Phill2
12-06-06, 23:42
I can definately relate to anyone that has a worse time of it on their days off.I was the same for ages but have gotten etter over time.
Phill

shorte_stressa
13-06-06, 16:04
ive only just recently developed anxiety and its cost me my job because of it
im trying to start some courses or get back into some form of work but at the momement its imposssible -any ideas

shorte_stressa
13-06-06, 21:29
i just ;ost my job because of generalisde anxiety disorder and my whole life fell apart.
i fell in love with a person who had adhd and obsessive compulsive disorder and ending up falling out with him too and now i feel completeley lost and without hope.

W.I.F.T.S.
14-06-06, 10:41
I agree with you too Florence, if I didn't work I'd become really agorophobic. I hate my job and it's probably the biggest cause of my anxiety and depression, but I have bills to pay and few jobs would pay me as much. I've had really severe anxiety and depression for 3 years and I've thought about turning back on my way in to work, but there's oonly once when I've called in sick because I've felt too panicky to do it.

Ships in harbour are safe..but that's not what ships were built for.

Tanya
16-06-06, 07:54
I can't work at all even though I'm unsure if its due to the chronic pain I suffer or the anxiety. I really believe if the pain levels dropped I'd be able to manage something ... part-time maybe.

Having to be home all the time is depressing in itself and gives me time to think. I don't know, I've tried to figure this issue out throughout the years .. is it the pain that stops me or the anxiety?

I did work full time before my Chronic pain and attended university so maybe ... oh I don't know. lol. My anxiety is so much worse since the CP that I don't know what triggers what.

But, this thread does make me feel better. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy but to see others who understand is kind of nice.

[^]

chucklehound
16-06-06, 16:06
Does working from home count?

PanickyPolly
18-06-06, 13:34
Was on Incapacity Benefit due to severe anxiety but teh doc at teh assessment centre mucked up my report and my benefit was taken off me. Now I'm on Income Suport which is £46 a week and am getting into debt which is making my depression and anxiety wrose.

jhart
08-07-06, 18:08
Ever since I left my job about 18 months ago, I have been having problems securing a permanent position and I find myself struggling to do easy tasks. I have a lot of pressure on me at the minute, having gone through a lengthy divorce and financial problems. When at work and faced with apparently simple decisions, I just freeze and anxiety takes over. I start looking at the watch finding that nothing has been done which means that most of times I end up working late hours, it doesn't help that this is a financial controller role. My self confidence has suffered inmensly and I am very close to breaking down as this negative pattern has carried on for quite a while. It just seems like groundhog day finishing one job and getting an interview to get another job, then realising that things are not going well and moving on again.

At the moment, I am speaking to a counsellor and am looking forward to getting better...Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,

A wannabe ex-anxiety sufferer

BiPolarBear
08-07-06, 20:16
I cant work, not had a real job ever

carol1969
08-07-06, 20:52
No i have been off work the last two years
Carol x

If you have peace of mind you have everything

BiPolarBear
08-07-06, 21:58
I have not been able to work since i left school, i have spent my time going to colleges and university, and signing on at the job centre, and i cant even get a part time job cause of my anxiety.

It sucks bug time cause you feel out of society and get called lazy and a sponger.

Jode
22-10-06, 14:49
Hi Everyone
I started with Panic Attacks 3 years ago. I had a massive one at work I went straight to the drs from work. I didnt know what it was I thought I was going to die. I left work that day and didnt or should I say couldnt go back. I was becoming agraphobic. My mum took me round the local park a few days a week because I wouldnt move out of the house. It took nearly 3 months of tablets to calm me down and a therapist before I ventured to go back. But now my dr has taken me off paroxetine saying i dont need it. I can honestly say Im not very good at the minute. Its takes me every bit of courage to get on the bus to work and staying at work. Whats worrying me is the thought of going on for years fighting to go to work. Has anyone got any advice?

Hexia
22-10-06, 21:47
I was never off work because of my anxiety. I am really lucky, though, got to see a psychiatrist two days after my first big attack. And my workplace is really understanding. So I told them at work that I had anxiety and panic, and if I seemed distant at meetings just to ignore it as I would be ok. Asking about it during an attack only makes it worse for me.
I know how horrible it feels to get on that bus or to go to work, but I truly believe it is the only way. You have to show yourself that these things are in no way dangerous and after a while you will come to believe that and the panic will subside.
It's a struggle, though, a lot of agony and hard work.
But I am sure you can do it, if you put your mind to it. Just keep telling yourself that you will be all right, that panic can't hurt you, that you are quite safe and eventually you will believe it.
Good luck and take care.

"You can't yell loud enough to make me shut up."

belle
23-10-06, 17:37
I work a Sunday lunchtime shift in a pub (have done since July 2005), i have to get picked up because i can't drive there.

Sarah

Nicki22
24-10-06, 13:49
i Was on Incapacity Benefit due to anxiety and panic attaks i have never be able to work !! doc at assessment centre messedd up my report and my benefit was taken off me Now I'm on Income Suport until i appeal !!!

one of the Questions was can you go out alone
and made it clear to her that i never can go out alone she wrote down i can now its all messed up and since being taken off sick its made me feel worse !!!!!

come and join our new and fast growing general discussion forum....
http://z6.invisionfree.com/NGForum/index.php

Ammeg
24-10-06, 15:05
I have never worked coz i got ill right after skool but i am doin pretty well nowadays and am tryin my hardest to get a job but with no luck!!!

KOKO23CAT
09-12-06, 22:09
I HAVE TO WORK. IF I DIDN'T I WOULD GO CRAZY. VERY OFTEN THE LAST THING I WANT TO DO IS GET OUT OF BED AND FACE PEOPLE BUT I DO FIND THAT I HAVE REAL SENSE OF ACHIEVMENT WHEN I GET HOME AFTERWARDS. IT REMINDS ME THAT LIFE DOES GO ON AS NORMAL AND THAT I CAN STILL BE PART OF IT. ALSO IF I DIDN'T GO TO WORK MY ANXIETY WOULD HAVE WON FOR THE DAY AND I WOULD BE KICKING MYSELF FOR THE REST OF THE DAY!

airwolf451
09-12-06, 23:01
wish i was brave enough to worlk, and im sick of being stuck in this house

katerpillar
09-12-06, 23:37
i work part time but thats coz i have an 8yr old son, but don't think i'd cope full time anyway at the mo xxx

Stew
10-12-06, 20:25
I would full time and to be honest i would'nt have it any other way. Some days are hard esp in the mornings when the last thing i want to do is go too work. I think if i had to saty at home i would be climbing the walls.

A couple of years ago when i had it really bad i did leave my job as i could'nt cope, i was on meds and just lay in bed most of the day wishing it away. I hate this time of year aswell, its bloody depressing. Roll on spring!!

"Forget Perfection, You'll Never Reach it'

debstar
11-12-06, 02:56
I work fulltime and some days I find it hard to stay at work. I just want to be at home where I feel safe.

But being at home is worse as you have more time to think.

LickeyEndBlues
11-12-06, 09:07
Currently I'm not working. After suffering with two major breakdowns I was medically retired from Education nearly two years ago. At the time I was convinced that my illness was work related and that I would be able to rebuild, unfortunately that hasn't been the case!!

I did take up another non teaching job pretty quickly with an environmental project. Sadly it wasn't "what it said on the tin" and I pulled out last May, since then I have been in a downward spiral which seems to be leveling out at the moment.

I am looking to try to find something which I will enjoy as I feel I have a fair bit to offer. I recently started a part time college course which might help me on that path.

Iain

Iain

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

bluesparkle
11-12-06, 12:12
i work full time with "odd" shifts...
its not easy some days but i wont give up...
i never thought i would though only started in march but its down to the support and advice i got from this site.

999madmax
11-12-06, 12:39
Hi All,
Nah im not able to work for at least 4 months.
Although i shall be doing Voluntary work as from Friday upto 15 hrs per week. Really looking forward to it. But again worring as i am just trying to over come my issues and i havn`t worked since May 06.
Fortunatly i shall be working with young people with issues or problems thta i have had in the past, so i have background experience!!

LOL
Madmax
-*-

franfhm
12-12-06, 19:59
I work full time, I find its good to keep my mind off things. I feel worse if I sit and stew in my feelings.

Some times though if I've had a bad night of it I stay off work but thats due to the tiredness.

Maybe I'm just a workaholic :)

kilvosa
12-12-06, 21:11
Hi i work dont like the job im in at the moment want to get back looking after children. used to be a respite carer aiming for something similar now.Couldnt stay in all day mindyou its difficult to get into work some days too.
take care xx

Nick1981
27-01-07, 21:25
Hi,
When my condition began i was due to begin a new job. I tried and tried to fight it back but the more i tried the worse i became until one day i popped out for some fresh air and couldnt physically walk back in. After that i was signed off for a month. Eventually with loads of help and therapy i made it back, by this time every one at work was aware of what was wrong which actually made things easier for me.
Nick

"It does get better"

Rennie1989
28-01-07, 17:39
I go to college full time and I have a part time job, infact I start work today, but at times when I used to go to school I couldn't bare to go bcause I was s anxious with what could happen to me.

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."

chellebelle
29-01-07, 07:15
Ironically, I work full-time in the mental health field, most days are a struggle and the clients i work with don't know that i probably feel worse than them more often than not.

"This too shall pass"

Phill2
29-01-07, 10:11
Hi Chelle
That is ironic
Phill - Brisbane

Dan21
29-01-07, 21:35
I'm not working but I am at University full time after resigning from a decade working in the customer service industry.

I'm studying and looking towards a new career in teaching but to be honest, I'm bricking it about a) working again and b) wondering if I have the bottle to work as a secondary teacher.....

Jeez, I'm so crap!

-----------------------------
I want to go up to my anxiety, smile, put my arm around it and say to it caringly, 'Hey! How are you? How's your day been?'

Then, just as its about to answer me, I wanna throw a sack over it and give it a hiding within an inch of its life.

That would be nice.

Pebble
30-01-07, 22:08
I work from home. I did work full time for 5 years in an office which I found very stressful. I now work from home which I think is a good option if someone can't go out and can find something they can do from home.

I definately feel a lot more relaxed now than I was.

Kind Regards,
Pebble.

Evie
02-02-07, 09:44
I used to work a five-day week from home but when we got bigger and the job required that I go into the office I found that the 100-miles a day round trip coupled with the workload gave me a breakdown.

I spent eight months on cipramil, the first four off which were spent off work, and returned to work gradually. My boss was terribly supportive. I was on full pay while I was off and was given flexibility to work 8-4 or 10-6 instead of 9-5 if I wanted to try and miss the rush hour. I got as far as the 3-day week and then said I think this is as far as I'll get at the moment.

That was three years ago and I'm certainly capable of working back on a full five-day week now but given the length of the commute I prefer not to thrash myself any harder than is necessary to pay the bills (I am very lucky to earn enough based on a three day week and my husband has a good job too). I spend Thursdays with my elderly mother (18 miles away) and also mind the business affairs for my aunt (81 and in a nursing home) so I am nevertheless kept busy on my days off.

Having said that, I call Fridays my own personal "mental health" day and try to do as little travel as possible; reading a book in the back garden if warm or else snuggling up on the sofa under a blanket with the cats and my laptop (as now). I wouldn't want to not work at all though - I like the contrast and certainly appreciate the switch from Days On to Days Off. Plus, I love my work and my colleagues are all lovely too.

wobily_lin
25-02-07, 05:37
Can't work atm..not long lost me job on medical grounds..still tryin to sort benefits n stuff..its a nightmare i tell ya..
Hopefully at some stage when the time is right I will get another job, and the MHT will support me all the way with that..x

nieve
26-02-07, 18:19
I've recently started working part-time, 3 days a week, and studying web design in the other two. Before that I did a lot of temping, which suited me better, as I knew I could always leave the job if I needed to. The only down side to temping is the anxiety attached with starting new jobs... I'm ok once I've got into a routine, but it's just initially starting the job that is always the big problem. I also worry about not sleeping and having to wake up early to go to work (which is a big commute at the moment)!

Freaky Chick
27-02-07, 19:02
At the moment i'm not at work, though still employed full time. About to go to half pay which is adding to my stress and anxiety.

Work are really good though - hopefully i can start to go back to driving a desk and then back to my proper job.

But my job involves dealing with lots of people daily - and at the moment i'm people phobic!:(

cattttt
27-02-07, 21:35
I work part time, I've done that for 10 years, not sure I could cope with full time.

mooks
28-02-07, 12:18
oh me too Im down to 1/2 pay been off 6 months...due to go back 15th march - dreading it

elle-jay
28-02-07, 13:03
I'm currently not working! I cant wait to work, my mums friend actually started b***hing about me cause i didnt work! it sucks that other people don't understand how hard it is to live with this condition!. i would love to work, altho i know i would end up hating it lol but yeah i cant wait til i learn to control my attacks and will be able to work again!

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Issy_Bum
28-02-07, 15:41
I work part-time because I find it easier if I have days to relax too. I worry a lot about working but we all have to make some money! I'm only working until I start a course anyway.

eddie d
04-03-07, 22:38
i work 85% of the time even when having pa .i run buisnesses and most of the time have to be around .however i have had a couple of pa at work where ive asked the customer to call me an ambulance and luckily they have responded by laughing thinking im joking .i have a family to look after , so whatever hapens must carry on .

PUGLETMUM
07-03-07, 18:21
hello all,

my job has actually added to my social anxiety and i would love to be able to get out of it and work with people, but a) i dont think i would cope and b) i cant do anything as have spent so many years like this!

anyway back to work, when i was 17 i had serious pa's and dropped out of college after about a month, then moped around for around a year until at 18 my mum got cancer. she had cleaned peoples houses as she was a single parent. OMG now she would be one of the people on the goverment adds - a benefit cheat! but with 3 kids and no money and crap education plus zero confidence what could she do? blah blah so i started to do her jobs until she got better- - - - - - but she never did and apart from working in a spar shop for about 10 months(a job i actually got from one of the families i cleaned for!) i have never done anything else! and i HATE IT

anyway i did do some small college courses years ago in word processing but i got pregnant and i gave up the cleaning(i was only doing 1 job at this point) and i vowed i would never do it again. and i was a dinner lady for 3 years which i hated.

this is going on and on and on lol to get to the point i have done it in other forms like in offices and a hairdressers but im now back to doing homes and i get quite a bit per hour than other jobs-even m&s staff get less! but it actually keeps me down and i think this is my next MASSIVE challenge, ive been doing these jobs for a year now and im just stagnating,anyway though i also want to say to the people who work that your jobs are probably stopping you from being worse and to the people who cant work, well that isnt your fault as everybodys circumstances are different, i think if you were able to work at some point and you did have a 'career' then you may never get as isolated from the rest of the world as people who havent had as much success in this area.

love emmasxxxxxxxxxx

MrB
07-03-07, 21:15
When I first started suffering from anxiety I took a couple of weeks off. I went to the doctors at the end of those 2 weeks and begged him to give beta blockers instead of Diazepam so that I could return to work, just to keep my brain busy.

Phill2
08-03-07, 10:20
Working definately keeps me sane. I hate days off.
Phill

MomMathia
13-03-07, 05:28
I dont go to work but I am a stay at home mom that sells things on Ebay for people.. That counts as work right?

LadyBug
13-03-07, 17:26
I work full time up until last week, and i have been off for the last week and a half. My anxiety got to a level i couldn't control on my own, and i had to start therapy and meds. hopefullly within the next week i'll be able to make it back to work, as i agree iwth most...sitting at home can make me feel worse

JITTERBUG1
20-03-07, 02:43
I have been working part time until 6 weeks ago, now I am to scared to go anywhere.

Phill2
20-03-07, 03:14
I was OK at work without meds for a while but had to give in eventually.
Wish I'd gone on them earlier.They make a world of difference.
Phill :shades:

soulsurfer
21-03-07, 07:14
at work full time just though theres been days when i wished i wasnt here, but need to work could be part of anxiety knowning that you have to go.
phil

ricochet
23-03-07, 22:14
Not working! Got to find work where there are not a lot of people around

Rich

Melina
24-03-07, 17:16
I left full time work due to anxiety and just started part time work which has been building my confidence back up and has given me hope that Im back on the right track!

Melina

peoplelikeus
25-03-07, 21:42
I don't work as I have serious panic attacks.....no one would employ me with my record ...

hoppipolla
26-03-07, 13:28
i feel capable of working part time if it's kinda flexible and stuff but often finding the work and working out all the details is the stuff that makes it tricky for me.

it's always a bit difficult for me though as recently i was working in a shop and some days the panic in the back of my mind could be quite bad.

at the moment i am going to try some avon-like sales work for an environmentally-minded ethical company based in the UK (if anyone is interested i can give more details :) ) so as that is flexible and paid on commission it should be really good. fingers crossed anyway :)

smudgie
31-03-07, 19:19
hi

I cant work, havnt worked for four years.

Physical and suffer from severe depression, c.o.d , anxiety and ptsd which has led to pd.

dont think i will work again, but im ok, glad to be alive

love
ness

Israphelr
01-04-07, 00:32
I have difficulty. I have recently been working full time in a job however the environment was quite comfortable for me. I no longer have that job and becasue I begin university in September I do need to gather some more money, especially since I'll be commuting.

I usually start a job and eventually I get depressed. I went to see about a job a a few months ago and when I left I really felt down and I felt suicidal again, (after which I had just gotten over a phase of feeling suicidal).

I am looking for a job at the moment, though I shall try and aim for a job that I think i'll be able to cope with, based on what i've learnt from experience.
I do want to work though so I hope I can get something figured out.

domino
01-04-07, 02:38
I answered p/time although i do occasionly do o/time i work through the night at our local supermarket, ,stocking shelves, not at all stressful, and i actually enjoy it. Good bunch of people, we have a giggle, and it gets me out of the house,. pay is pretty good too . so all in all i,m happy.:yesyes:

Lizzy47
05-04-07, 08:45
Does your condition let you work?

I started a new job on Monday (2nd April) and had to go sick the next day,
I am a sales manager quite a pressurised job, but I had a horrific panic attack during the night and couldn't go to work next day. I went to the doctor's and he signed me off work for two weeks, the new job have been brilliant, but I don't feel like I can cope with work EVER again. I have to work or we don't pay the mortgage, my husband is brilliant understanding and caring, but it won't help pay the bills, its a vicious circle at the moment, how do others manage?

Lizzy

Phill2
05-04-07, 09:22
I found being at home worrying about the bills worse than working.
I guess its one of those things where JFDI applies.
I was off work for 7 yrs. I've been back for 3 and hate days off.
Phill:shades:

prism
28-05-07, 12:27
I havn't been able to work for quite a few years.Stress is a big trigger for me but my main trigger is people so working at the moment is a no no.I just couldn't cope with it at all.
prism

Dave777
28-05-07, 12:30
I work full time, couldn't stay at home, I'd start thinking.... very scary !!lol:blush:

Dave:shades:

greenfairywishes
28-05-07, 14:09
I work full-time as i'd be so much worse if I did nothing at all. I find it a real struggle somtimes and wonder if it is really worth it, but I also have good days when I really enjoy my job. I also have noticably more sick days than the rest of the staff team, i had to phone in sick today for example as my whole body is vibrating with nerves and i feel sick to the stomach and now i'm stressing about taking the day off as i'm currently on absence monitoring. I guess its catch 22 really, you are damned if you do, damned if you don't :wacko:

kate
28-05-07, 16:43
GFW,

You are doing totally the right thing in working. We all need some structure and routine to our day and although the anxiety feelings can be totally overwhelming when at work, we have to remember that nothing will happen to us whether at work or not!

Are your personnel dept aware of your problems?

Kate

greenfairywishes
28-05-07, 17:16
GFW,

You are doing totally the right thing in working. We all need some structure and routine to our day and although the anxiety feelings can be totally overwhelming when at work, we have to remember that nothing will happen to us whether at work or not!

Are your personnel dept aware of your problems?

Kate

hey thanks for the response,

i know you are right and i would hate to give up work, but it is just hard when you don't know what days you are going be feeling particular anxious. I know my employers would be supportive and they know i have suffered with anxiety/depression in the past. I was fine when i started the job and didnt feel it was going to be an issue but there is something stopping me from telling them i am going through a bad time of it just now. I dont know what to do, i don't know whether i should take some time off and explain to them why or should i just struggle on as knowing me i will probably feel alright again in a few days. talk about being stuck between a rock and a hard place....................

kate
28-05-07, 17:50
GFW,

I know exactly how you are feeling.

I first had depression/anx/panic 25 years ago and have always carried on working even though it has been soooo hard.

I started a new job 6 weeks ago and I'm very anxious everyday even though I really love my job. I haven't told them about the anxiety, they never asked at the interview so I kept it quiet.

If you can force yourself into work each day, then this would be a good thing. If not, then have time off as and when you really need to. Whether you tell your employers or not is entirely up to you. I do find that once I've been a work for about an hour, my anxiety comes down. Until the next day that is!

Kate

Annabelle
31-05-07, 15:17
I can't work at the moment - which is horrible i wish i could because i feel like im sponging off my parents and having no money is not fun - if i applied for a job would telling them i have suffered from agoraphobia and still from anxiety put me at the bottom of the pile? I know its not supposed to with disability laws and all that but it enevitably puts me at a disadvantage - and if i dont tell them how do i explain i have only had one waitressing job when i was 17 and now im 22?!!
i just want to be normal :(

samc100
31-05-07, 15:42
I work part-time and did so before my 'breakdown' as I have a young toddler. I did have to take 2 months off work when I became ill and was distressed at being off work.

I do okish at work cos' I am pretty good at my job and allowed to get on with it. I did have a phase of finding it hard to concentrate and it was horrible. My boss had to have 'words' with me and I knew I'd let myself down badly. I find I have to try extra hard these days at work and I have developed practical systems to help me do my job properly.

chris-t-o
19-07-07, 00:28
I just stopped working a week ago. Me and my therapist has come to the conclusion that I *can* work (slowly, not concentrated at all, but I can), but I won't ever get better if I don't get absolute calmness and a period without worry. So, I'll probably be out for 2-3 months, and gradually working my way back to full time.

However, I do appreciate the need for some routine, which I absolutely lack - and I've told my parents, my therapist, and some friends to bug me to plan and do things while I'm off. But I'll spend the time to do enjoyable things. A movie a day, perhaps, as a prize for a couple of hours exercise :) Reading, studying things that fascinate me, and trying to make some "work" out of that, would help, I believe.

lesleyB
20-10-07, 13:47
I still work as a part time tutor in adult education, it helps me to for get myself for a while and there, is a lot of paper work which keeps me busy, otherwise I would sit and stew. A takes all my courage sometimes to get ready and go but I wont give in.
Lesleyb

Anna C
20-10-07, 15:58
Hi, I work full time and I have always found work a distraction, the job I have been doing for the last year I have really loved. Now though I will be getting trained on other jobs which I know will be stressful.

The worse thing I find about work is the people, as I have social phobia I find it so hard being around people sometimes, and other times its just certain people. I don't feel comfortable with them should I smile or say hello?

I know it sounds strange, I do have a few friends there but most people just ignore me. Most people think I seem odd or abit of a joke which makes me feel more uncomfortable and awkward.
Anna

Bill
21-10-07, 02:09
From my own experience -

If we do a job we hate then our anxiety Could take over.
If we do a job we enjoy then it can only be of benefit providing we know our workload limits and not try to do everything ourselves, or we could bring on too much stress!

Meditating, relaxing, reading, doing something we enjoy etc or keeping busy helps.
Sitting just thinking or feeling bored is the worst thing to do because it opens the door to anxious thoughts!

TracyL
21-10-07, 05:51
I also work full time. For the most part it is fine but have hiccups every now and then and need to take some time of. I have to drive for an hour to work and an hour back so that can be a problem if my anxiety is particularly bad.

Tracy

Krakers
21-10-07, 06:23
Hi all - I'm still not able to work. Being mobile and having to go out to peoples houses I just can't handle. I've tried and tried and tried. Its just things take too long and people want to watch me work - my anxiety kicks in, I make an excuse and leave.

I love Bills idea about reading. I love to read, and it turns a day that drags into a day that flys by. Bill - where can I get a job reading ?!?!

I know its difficult, but I've had every benefit rejected since Feb this year. Now I have to see a DWP specialist doctor. I presume this is to decide whether to stop paying me nothing or continue to pay me nothing. Although in fairness they have been paying my &#163;2.10 a week NI stamp (go benefits go !).

On a serious note is seeing this other doc a big deal ? Its next Friday and I've already started to worry. I know I shouldn't, but doesn't stop the niggling thoughts.

Hopefully someone here has ben through this - I'd be happy for any feedback.

Krakers.

Dying_Swan
21-10-07, 13:04
I work full time but had a year out of work due to depression/anxiety.

It still pops up and bites me on the bum now and again, but it's a million times better. Much as I moan about work and it drags me down, I do feel very fortunate that I am able to work again. I am looking forward to retiring though....only 41 years to go :winks::yesyes:

Krakers - I don't know about your doctor situation I'm afraid, but will wish you luck anyway :)

xxx :flowers:

Gordon
21-10-07, 19:25
I'd love to work but can't cos of my BPD and bi polar.

I DJ now and again with a mate but I couldn't do it every week cos I'm not in the mood every week, plus it's not that well paid anyway unless you're Fatboy Slim or Pete Tong. &#163;50 a night for 3 nights' work tops anyone? I wish there was an employer who would take us on and be compassionate about mental health issues.

Gordon

bearcrazy
21-10-07, 20:48
I was working full time until September 30th, well I was employed, but have had to resign due to ill health.

fretty freda
22-10-07, 21:25
:ohmy: i am off sick with depression and anxiety and have been for 5 weeks i feel i cant cope with the stress aswell as not feeling well , spoke with boss today discussed maby returning part time HAVE TO GET THROUGH THE DOOR YET AND FACE MY FEAR DREADING IT any advice guys:weep:

Bill
23-10-07, 02:14
Ask yourself.....do you enjoy your job, do you want to go back, do you have to go back, are you ready to go back, do you feel capable to work?

If not, give yourself more time and consider another job you think you'll enjoy. Also consult your doctor, tell he/she how you're feeling and push for help to get better, and not just ant-depressants.:hugs:

If you feel too ill to work then don't try pushing yourself. Were you put under too much pressure? If so, then it could happen again. Could you cope?

I'd look into all the reasons you're feeling so ill then make a plan to ease things and if necessary push for at least a counsellor.:hugs:

jesterx
23-10-07, 03:07
someone pm'ed a yesterday and ii told them if you are to go back to work...slowly wriggle you way back in so its not so much of a shock.

kate H
23-10-07, 15:04
I work full time. I sometimes feel like i want to run back home and deal with my feelings there as there is only on eperson at work thats knows about my anxiety and they still dont know the whole story. I work to keep me going and financially i wouldnt cope if i didnt work, i think its important for me to have something to get up for. however i do have days where it takes a hell of a lot to drag myself out of bed and put a smile on my face when i am feeling bad.

beauty
24-10-07, 14:21
I find working keeps me distracted from panic and i feel comfortable enough in my workplace to feel at ease.
I dont feel like my panic has got to the stage where i cant work anymore.

fairycake
25-10-07, 21:41
i don't work

fretty freda
27-10-07, 20:50
i have been off sick for 5 weeks due to return part time next week i am very scared i know i will panic when i walk threw the door !

any advice i have tried rescue remedy and it wasent helpful for me

knightbabe
28-10-07, 21:35
I lost my job at the beginning of the year. Whilst unemployed I had my first PA. I got a new job. Although I didn't start when I was meant to due to PA. I finally started on Weds. It's 5.5hrs per day at the moment, 5 days a week. Following my probationary period I'll only be doing 4 days a week. I don't need to work, I just want to earn my own spending money.

Lilith1980
01-11-07, 11:00
I work but some days I'd rather not be there. Its a combination of the job being quite dull and boring and when I am bored I start thinking about things which leaves me feeling anxious.

But I couldnt stay at home as I think if I ever gave up work, I'd never go back.

nanny
01-11-07, 11:13
I would so love to go back to work. I could only manage part time at the moment though due to this anxiety, i have always worked full time until my back problems started. Now i have to look for work that won't affect that! it's so frustrating. My anxiety up to now has never affected my ability to work, even when my panic attacks were at their peak, but now unfortunately it does.

Reasons for wanting to return to work:

need the money, who doesn't?

Would build my confidence up again

Distracts me from negative thinking

can intergrate with others

And to get me out of this house!!!!

if only it were that easy to find the jobs you want /need ..............:shrug:

Tom_M
01-11-07, 14:24
I can't work due to a back condition, which unfortunately meant that I had to leave a high paid job - which was mostly physical work - to live on a low income. I am fighting back though. Since leaving work I have taught myself several web programming languages, which will hopefully let me work from home eventually. It's not healthy being sat at a computer at home, instead of being in a workplace with people, but you have to make do with what you have. The important thing is though, that you have to keep looking forward and keep positive or it's just a slide into a negative lifestyle, and the emotional problems that go with it.

Tom

Eva May
05-11-07, 11:48
I had to quit two jobs because they were too far from home and I started getting panic attacks. I used to get the train or drive but both started to overwhelm me. I now work in an ok job close to home.

Yvonne
27-11-07, 20:23
I get tearful when I am panicky - couldn't sit through an interview crying really - I doubt if anyone would employ me!

Have worked on and off over the last few years but sadly the panics will not allow me to right now - however I never give up hope.

Being at home is not nice - and yes - it does make you feel worse.

JohnS
27-11-07, 20:37
I work full time, sometimes I wish I didn't work since I have good and bad days. I can't stop working since I need the money. I think that my current job is what caused my anxiety to get worse since I work a lot of long hours and haven't really had a rest from work in a while. I don't enjoy where I work either but just thinking of going to an interview makes me feel really anxious :(.

johnk
28-11-07, 01:22
Hi,
I choose to work full time, most days im consumed by panic and anxiety but it gives me self respect to know ive battled so hard to get to where I am and to earn a good wage and provide for my wife and children. It would have been much easier for me to have gone down a very different route years ago but you have to fight against yourself to become the person you deserve to be. We only live once and I tell myself this when i worry and try to think of all the courages wonderful people in the world who have far worse problems but choose to fight back against them- if they can then why cant I? Its also important to be a role model to my children that they see me go to work daily and understand this is a normal part of life.

Phill2
28-11-07, 01:50
Good for you John
It's that sort of courage we all need
Phill:shades:

sfee
28-11-07, 17:46
Hi,
I work full time as a teacher. I think the workload may have contributed to the anxiety but also being on the go all the time means there's less time to worry so it also helps. I find the holidays quite hard though as my husband is at work and I can drift round the house worrying an awful lot!

Allye
29-11-07, 11:15
I work full time but it is a struggle. Mornings are the worst for me - it takes me ages to get in to work, and then I spend most of the morning (like now) at my desk in a right state - depersonalised, not being able to focus, breathless. Things ease in the afternoon and evening

Phill2
30-11-07, 00:21
Mornings are the worst for me too.
It normally takes about 30 mins from the time I wake up til I can function properly.
After a shower and breakfast I'm fine.

Krakers
02-12-07, 03:17
Hi all - just a quick update.

I'm currently doing work for free for freinds, family and others I've met down the road.

While this might sound silly, its bringing me one step closer to getting out there and doing what I do best.

As its voluntary work it doesn't affect my bens, and it also keeps me up to date on the latest PC advancements. It also takes the pressure off me giving a deadline and not meeting it.

Soon I'll be back in control as apposed to my problems dictating the pace.

Once again small steps, but I've taken a few now and I'm considering taking a stride.

Krakers.

lucyma
02-12-07, 06:08
I wondered how many can work with this anxiety asit does make a person tired and stressed to the max at times.) I am fortunate as I have worked and did caregiving,I also was fortunate to have the support of my dear man.A lot of men do not get that do they?

lucyma
02-12-07, 06:15
I admire the men and women that do goet the courage to fight against their illness and the symptoms and go to work.
I do not anymore.:) I am a women who has brought up her children,done part time work,and now I am home all day and I am grateful to be cared for by my own husband who is also not well,he has stopped work as it all got on top of him after the stress of being made reudndant for the 2nd time in his life.We are not rich we get by.:blush: :) :hugs:Hugs and kisses for all those Knights in shining armour who still can do it

peoplelikeus
02-12-07, 16:14
Due to my anxiety symptoms I cannot work and in fact have been told I wouldn't be employed .....Insurance etc????

My symptoms include rapid heart rate, difficulty breathing, sweating profusely and legs which turn to jelly. I have absolutely no control over this, even on medication.

I would LOVE to be given a chance to work, earn some cash AND have no symptoms anymore.

Living on benefits is hell, believe me!

decca
02-12-07, 20:18
I to have rapid pulse and breathlessness for the first couple of hours in the mornings,Doc says it's mostly anxiety but also partly due to the side effects of my angina and blood presure meds.
Been off sick since October after being taken ill at work,at present I'm not sure if I can go back.Doc has signed me off until the new year as he says I'm not ready to return yet and would need a gradual return when I do go back,but I have to see the Occupational health doctor next week which is causing me anx. I feel that my health comes first so I'm prepared to chuck in the towel if the OH doc. gets stroppy.
Best wishes
Decca.

KampenSam
08-12-07, 20:52
Hello, I used to work, but because i've got I.B.S my last boss sacked me!!

(one day i took a day off work and went to see my doctor because i hadnt been feeling very well for awhile.
My doc found out i had I.B.S,and that it was caused by stress,

well i said that i was very stressed out at work.. because this german couple thought that they owned the place..and treated me like a skivvy!:O

so he told me to tell my boss about this...

lot of good that did.. i told mr so in so at work about it all, then a few days later i got the sack!..

*because i needed the toilet on Bad days more then anyone else..
But..two other people that worked there had Fag brakes outside, and because i didnt smoke, i got no other brakes..only one for lunch!..isnt that unfair!*

anyway it was a horried job, at a petrol station..only worked there to earn some money to erm.... build my camper..:)

So i havent worked since april 2004? i think... ever since then i've been on income support for my I.B.S, which is Ok, but you don't get much cash..:(

My hubby~to~be is very supportive..still not married yet!! :)
(we cannot deside where to get married..Interlaken in the Swiss Alps or somewhere in Germany?)

Awhile back i kept on having panic attacks,the last time i came on here.. but i havent had one since August 2007! :)

I think Branden my much beloved husky rat helped me out :) RIP my little baby :( But we lost in on the 23rd of November 2007, he was only 4 months and 11 days old..

he wasnt right to start with from birth, (born in a rat farm somewhere in germany,sold to a pet shop in BrandenBurg, along with his brothers..)

so he didnt have any help in his early life..:(
unlike most rattys do when they are born in the lovingness of caring breeders

(I wont write anymore about Branden on here,as i dont want to upset anyone :(.. so please visit his Tribute page on my main website,thank you.x)

So i don't think i'll ever work again, but when we get home, i'm going to college to do pottery :) *follow in my grandparents footsteps :)*
*They made a wonderful tea set for my parents wedding!*

But it'll be after christmas :D

Merry Christmas btw..bye for now from Sam..& Noogie, he's asleep behind my back...i'm sat on the sofa and he's snuggled behind me and the sofa.aww!
(Noogie is the Black/Brownish hooded ratty in my profile pic thingy)

Adrian
10-12-07, 15:21
I've found work difficult over the past few years but one must keep on keeping on. I've found voluntary work to be a good way of staying occupied.

Rennie1989
10-12-07, 15:36
I work part time at B&Q and I am a full time college student.

I used to be very anxious about work and I sometimes am though as soon as I get to work I'm fine, I work with great people and my supervisor is First Aid trained so if anything did happen to me she'll know what to do.

My panic attacks are getting worse at college though. Today I went to the doctors about 'women problems' (at the same time I had a peek at my notes and found out I have panic disorder ... fab) and I just didn't want to go to college, instead I'm here doing work that needs to be finished. I make a thread here ages ago saying that I literally ran away from college because of my attack!

I much prefer to be at work then college though the diploma I'm doing will get me a better job, my pay would rise ten fold!

lillady123
18-12-07, 20:08
Im a speech and language therapy student and carer for people with learning disabilities. I find I dont really get so anxious at work, its a time where I am thinking about others and not myself all the time!!! xx

bluebottle
19-12-07, 08:12
I don't currently work but my job broker thinks a part time job will benefit me and my social worker is of the same opinion. I'm scared to death of the prospect, but having too much worrying time and no real structure is not helping me. So I will hopefully, with the support of the job broker and the team be able to manage to get back to work and regain the confidence and self-esteem working gives me.

peoplelikeus
12-01-08, 18:10
I wish I was as brave as you...well done for trying

Rachey poos
12-01-08, 23:00
I have a small cleaning job on a wed.. i get a lift there and one back otherwise i would be doomed..... i did work 5 days a week until 2 yrs ago..... anxiety set in and i couldnt travel!!

WDWFan
13-01-08, 00:05
I have a full time job but currently on long term sick leave basically because my wife has breast cancer, we have a mentally handicapped daughter who needs a certain amount of care, and my current mental state.

Cacaroja
13-01-08, 00:45
I work a full-time and a part-time job.

The anxiety and fears come and go. I've had this so long that I'm a master at hiding it from the rest of the world. Meanwhile inside, I'm a basket case.

celeste
03-02-08, 20:25
Have to agree with you Cheri!
I work part time. I have been there for 10 years. I am in charge of the shift & find that because I feel 'safe' there & amongst friends the anxiety is manageable. Its also a distraction.
I used to work as midwife...but with a 20 mile commute through rush hour traffic...had to give it up. I can't cope with traffic jams or motorways.

jasonfuk
03-02-08, 23:09
i have to force myself to work have a mortgage and am a single parent,no work goodbye home,really hard

sulmare
04-02-08, 12:00
I find it difficult to work, especially if the people I am working with aren't very nice, it makes me physically ill, the stress that is

having said that, I do want to return to work, part-time as I think I would benefit from the structure in my day, it would take a patient employer though as my ability to concentrate wanders.

how do you tell a prospective employer about your 'illness' though:shrug: I am sure they wouldn't want me if I was honest with them

cardmaker
04-02-08, 15:18
I'm 'employed full-time' but been off sick since May 2007 with anxiety/stress/depression. Now been on half pay since beginning of December.

I'm currently going through a Grievance Procedure against my Human Resources department. I think this is what's holding me back as I cannot return to my current post. I'm trying to get them to agree to redeployment as a 'reasonable adjustment'. Things aren't going my way at the moment though and it looks as if I'll be taking them to an Employment Tribunal.

alihud
12-02-08, 10:00
I have to work have no choice as i'm a single parent but i'm lucky because i have my own business but at the same time it can be extremely stressful.
Ali xxx

bluedaisy
13-02-08, 14:12
I can work from home, when anything is available, but can't leave the house due to agoraphobia for past 18 months so no chance of 'going to work'...lol

Have been lucky recently with some work from my ex-employer (lost full-time job after six months off sick for anxiety), but benefit rules mean no working after next month for a year. Crazy system - hard to imagine getting back into work if I'm not allowed to do anything for a whole year.

I keep myself busy with Open University courses to keep my brain active, and fill the huge gap in my CV in the hope one day I'll be applying for jobs again.

aliciajane
14-02-08, 00:13
As I'm only turning 16 next month, I'm too young to work right now.
But I might look for a job when I'm 16.
I've been out of school for years due to many mental health issues, the anxiety being more of a recent one occuring since last year.
Whenever I've tried to go I'll be fine for a few weeks, then I'll have a breakdown or something will happen and I won't be able to do anything.
Plus you have the added stress of going to do it on top of the problems your already facing.
I'm worried this is going to happen if I get a job.
I'm sick of being at home, but at the same time I don't want to leave :(

hazey-babe
05-05-08, 16:20
Hi,

I had to give up my career 8 years ago. I was a Midwife but you can't do that when you are panicing about every wee thing.
I then worked as a sales assistant in a Motor Parts and Accessories shop.( My dad was my boss and thought this might reduce stress) Lost that job 2 due to long term sickness. Poor Dad having to tell me I was fired!!!!:weep: So now on IB and finding things hard on the money front. Don't feel fit for work and being a Mum of 2 it is stressful enough at home.

Would like to retrain but don't feel strong enough yet. One day though.:yesyes:

Hazel xoxo:hugs:

doodah
05-05-08, 16:27
Aww - that's a tough one Hazel.

I had to pack in working about 6 years ago due to agoraphobia/anxiety. I was an IT tutor. I receive IB but am lucky because I work a few hours per week from home maintaining a website - this is "allowed" work. Wish I could get more of this type of work then I could come off the IB altogether.

Wendy xxxx

tj.66
06-05-08, 18:20
havent for 20 yrs but getting ready for part time now

popsy
18-05-08, 20:54
I was working part time but have had to have a break because of my severe anxiety, really need to get back though as we really need the money and my boss really wants me back too, its hard though as im afraid if i go back and fail i dont think i would bear to feel that 'failure' thing again!!! .... of course though i dont know if that will happen unless i try so im in a catch 22! Grrrr...

never2late
19-05-08, 01:40
I have my studio at home, but go on the road for various engagements (speaking, exhibiting, teaching, etc.). I can be smiling, meeting and greeting people, and feeling terrible on the inside at the same time. And no one knows. But mostly, if I am engaged in my work at the time, my mind is on the task(s) at hand. "It" always seems to have a wealth of patience to wait for me again.

nicky20055
23-05-08, 21:43
Every Time I Have Tried To Go Back To Work Because I Thought I Was Ready I Ended Up Having Severe Anxiety Attacks And It Took Me 5 Steps Back, Its Frustrating

gary_2.0
24-05-08, 12:54
I haven't worked for over 3 years now. I began by living off my savings until my girlfriend at the time convinced me to get any entitlement I was due from social security which isn't much but it does help.

Before all this my doctor agreed that it's not right to stay in any situation that contributes to negative stress. Though some people say they thrive on stress I'm not convinced both arguments would concur on what constitutes stress.

And I'm not bothered about too many possessions. Despite being male and something of a computer geek, I don't need a plasma tv, a dozen electrical kitchen gadgets, ipod and all the rest of the lifestyle accessories that are ultimately worthless and really don't contribute anything of any true value to our lives. What I do miss however is being able to take off to Europe. I'd love to return to the peace and quiet of Spain - the non-tourist bled regions of course. Venice too. I'd love to just sit and watch the sun rise and set amid that beautiful architecture. A gentle caress from a light cool breeze and perhaps a bottle of wine. That's what I call good therapy. Hmm, I think I'm straying off topic now letting my imagination run away with me. As it often does :D

Although I would describe myself as very optimistic and enjoy learning new skills etc. I can't see any change in the foreseeable future.

To end on a positive note, a friend of mine runs his business from home. He's also agoraphobic and has been for many years. He is very successful at what he does and appears quite happy and content with his lot.

heatwave
24-05-08, 15:12
I am the same, Gary. I would love to just up and go to various places in Europe but that's out of the question right now. I don't work as I have agrophobia and although I can now leave the house I couldn't sit in an office all day without getting stressed out. If I get stressed I panic and hyperventilate.

I would love to be 'normal' and go to work but I can't see that happening at the moment. I've come a long way but I still have far to go. My strength is not good and I get tired easily. Anxiety really is a physical illness.

love
Sue

gary_2.0
24-05-08, 17:09
I too get tired so very easily Sue, in fact that's one of my biggest annoyances. There is so much that I want to do at home, and so much that I am able to do except for this bloody tiredness. I can only accomplish things in stages, which, although I'm bound to accept, is very frustrating. And when I have to stop or lie down my mind is still terribly active working on all sorts of things. The only way I can switch off, so to speak, is by listening to music, an audio book or alcohol. Anxiety, depression, it all takes it toll on the body. People without it can't begin to imagine.

At least Europe will be there waiting patiently for when the time is right. At least I hope Venice doesn't disappear too soon.

heatwave
24-05-08, 21:39
I feel exactly the same, Gary. A bit of housework or gardening and I'm puffing and blowing and ready to lie down! I never used to be like this. I've always been very fit but once the anxiety struck me I became a different person. I got really weak and everything became an effort. It's really annoying, isn't it? I too have an active mind, it's always racing and I have to force myself to relax.

I'm sure Venice will be there for you when you're better, Gary. Just look forward to that day. It will come eventually.

love
Sue

stefropluto
25-05-08, 02:28
I have stayed home with kids for the past 12 years, and I honestly feel that my mental health would be far better if I hadn't! I've gone back to university part-time, and, though I have panic attacks driving there at times, it was the best decision I've made in a long time!!! I plan to take a lot more classes in the fall.

I think it would be hard sometimes to get to work, but, once there, if it was a job that engaged me mentally, I think I would do much better. Someone else wrote that he would be much worse off at home, and I relate...too much time to notice every little odd sensation, focus on negative and fearful thoughts, etc.

Phill2
25-05-08, 02:42
Exactly right
Even though I am in a very stressful full time job (real estate) my mental health is far better than it was in the years I sat at home

clairev
25-05-08, 10:28
I work part time but that's because I have ME not because of the anxiety.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Your the same as me, I also Have M.E and suffer from anxiety

private message me if you want

love claire xxx

Trixie
25-05-08, 11:12
I had to give up nursing a few years back due to orthopaedic problems I miss it so much. I am registered disabled, now I have this brain tumour thing which they found by accident.

I spend my time writing (I have just finished a 122,000 word comedy)and landscape painting but I still miss nursing.:weep:

mlondon
12-06-08, 09:19
I stopped working for a month as I realised my job was affecting my anxiety. I changed fields but started part time. As my anxiety lessened I went full time.

verved
15-06-08, 10:50
I work full time for a electrical retailer , outside of work i'm quite a shy person and don't like going to partys etc

but i do find at work i tend to be a different person not afraid to approach people and wot not , it keeps my mind quite ,

but i do and dont like my days off so i when i'm at home i have to be doing something , if it be messing in the garden , diy , cleaning , tidying anything really because other wise i get the anxiety ( rocking boat etc) and really kicks you down and can be quite a challenge to get back up again and be motivated.

i don't think i could handle not working or doing something as then the mind starts to think and then i just go down hill.

i did have a issue for years with a manager which played a part in my anxiety but he got sacked recently so i do quite look forward to going in see my friends and try and do my job to the best off

Pippage
13-12-08, 18:56
I work full time and have done for the last 2 and a bit years, simply because I don't have the option not to and I would go nuts on my own at home all day I think. I have really bad days sometimes but I think the human contact keeps it real for me somewhat if that makes sense?

trixi
13-12-08, 20:43
I work 28 hours, but thats to keep child care costs down.

Diane O'Brien
13-12-08, 23:00
I cant work because of anxiety. I got offered a job in October but got myself in that much of a state, I sadly had to turn it down. I am determined in the New Year to get my old self back, return to work and perhaps write a success story on here. I hope so.

Diane xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Pippage
14-12-08, 10:23
I cant work because of anxiety. I got offered a job in October but got myself in that much of a state, I sadly had to turn it down. I am determined in the New Year to get my old self back, return to work and perhaps write a success story on here. I hope so.

Diane xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxx

Good luck!!! I can really relate to getting yourself in a state, I did that badly before I started my current job, worrying about how I would cope. It's quite laid back there fortunately.

Graz
14-12-08, 11:19
I don't know how I do it, and sometimes (well, most of the time) I feel I shouldn't be and I get really stressed, but I work full time.

At least that's an achievement I can be pleased of :)

lennons_mammy
14-12-08, 11:35
I can't work right now as I am housebound.

emms
14-12-08, 16:47
i work fulltime but find it really hard sometimes, and there have been days in the last month where i just couldn't get out of bed and haven't gone....sometimes i turn up and i just feel like all the faces are staring at me and judging me it really gets to me sometimes...but then there are other times where it helps i can just get lost in the work and ignore everything around me.

Emms x

Joeycrazycat
14-12-08, 17:36
I work full time for a company that manufactures quality test instruments and smoking machines for the cigarette industry.

I sometimes find it hard at work, especially since they made some people redundant last year and then expect the ones left to do two people's job! I have to attend meetings, I sometimes even have to fly to regional offices or to see customers (and I'm terrified of flying), but I do it.

I feel very bad if I can't go to work, whatever the reasons. So recently I've decided to "come out" and tell my boss that I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks, and I was amazingly surprised to see that everyone around me offer their support. I also realised that quite a few people at work - and people I would have never guessed - alos suffer, of have suffered, from similar conditions.

My work is alos very flexible: they have given me the possibility to work from home when necessary (I can access all my emails and system from my own pc), but I try not to do it too often, as I believe that I won't get better if I avoid seeing people.

tigger1964
05-01-09, 07:24
hi

i cant work, my panic and anxiety has got so bad im now agoraphobic.

playman44
05-01-09, 08:29
work is my only escape from the worry ,as soon as i stop the symptoms come rushing back

aboulels
05-01-09, 11:58
I'm currently in full-time employment & been suffering with anxiety for over a year now. I've had good days & really bad days but the positive note is that my employers have been really supportive over the last year. If I was having a bad day they would understand & send me home with full pay. The negative point is that the site I'm based at is closing in 3 months & we'll all be made redundant. It's causing me serious stress & depression just thinking about it as I’ll probably struggle to keep up with the mortgage & bills etc.... I'm not going to be able to get another job & even if I did I'll really struggle to keep it with my anxiety disorder, but just got to take things day by day & hope for the best.

EmmaJane
05-01-09, 12:12
I work full time from home. In a way it would proably be better if I did work away from my safe haven!

Cherbear
05-01-09, 12:36
I am studying full time at university and also work 2 days a week in a nursery; I actually find it helps with my anxiety because it distracts me so much I don't have time to worry over my mum and my boyfriend xx

sunshine-lady
05-01-09, 14:22
I don't work anymore due to my mental health and agoraphobia

staple
05-01-09, 14:46
I work part time and I am findidng it difficult and I know its good dfor me to keep on working and yet my anxiety can make it difficult to continue on working at present I am doing it one day at a time
Mike

missacorah
05-01-09, 15:52
I was forced to leave work due to my anxiety and panic attacks. Although by the end my hours were only 4 a day they were turning into 1 big long panic attack. As soon as I had the pressure of work off me I really did start to feel better...but thats just me of course.

Only now a few years later have i started applying for jobs again.

Robbo74
05-01-09, 17:53
I work full time , some days its hard but im trying to lead as normal a life as possible. I do lots of 7-11 breathing and listen to relaxtion music on my ipod and also the anxiety cd set which Meg brought out a couple of years ago , really good. I went back to work today and was really dreading it because my new symptom is face flushing. I work with around a hundred men and at times i felt my face burning but nobody said a thing , worrying for nothing again!! When i am tense around the shoulders i just go to the loo and do slow neck turns till im loose again. Also i have to work as ive got my first child arriving in april :yesyes:
I just think its easier to work than to sit analizing my anxiety at home making myself a hundred times worse.

Phill2
06-01-09, 03:00
Don't worry aboulels
You'll get another job and be able to handle it.
My employer is like yours - very supportive.
If it weren't for work i'd go crazy!

bubblefizz
06-01-09, 09:58
I cant work although i do volunteering at (rethink)
i think if i was in paid work, they would sack me!!
employers dont want employees to be off work ...do they??

Rennie1989
06-01-09, 14:22
College is my escape from my illness, work makes it worse for me. I just can't wait to leave work when I go to University!

armanoo
06-01-09, 15:37
i cant work !..always distracted and easily forget what people say .. amd cant focus in something for so long:yahoo:

Dominic1975
06-01-09, 23:03
I find work to be my grounding point..... If I didnt work I think would go absolutely out of mind.... It gives me a place to feel like I can socialise in a safe environment....
The workload distracts me from negative thoughts and something to be proud of, when I achieve something..... everyone at work is aware of my anxiety and really supportive if I need to calm down etc
I can understand how this might not be right for all, or would struggle to even get out the front door to get to work. There are days that I feel I can face it, but once I am there, im fine!!!

Ryan
08-01-09, 04:00
I used to do gardening part time with my uncle but gave that up, now I do a few gardens for old people in my area so I make a bit of money.

I also work from home doing art for a childrens book. =D

Mudskipper
08-01-09, 13:30
I work full-time, 37 hours a week and I loathe every minute of it. Unfortunately there's a mortgage to pay, and anyway, if I wasn't here I'd probably fall into a very unhealthy way of life, sitting up all night and kipping on the sofa all day. Hobsons' choice really. If it wasn't for the kids, I honestly think I'd hit the road and try to leave my worries behind...:unsure:

Nechtan
08-01-09, 13:45
I haven't worked for over 3 years since I was made redundant and I can't see myself working for a while yet. The longest I can go out the house at the moment is 15 minutes. And its not through being work shy. At the moment I am completing a web design course with the hope of finding a way of working from home and not having to rely on benefits. When the Job Centre call now and again I ask them to look out for anything that would suit someone who has a PC with internet access and a willingness to work from home but they haven't come up with anything yet.

Budgie
17-01-09, 20:26
I work full time although I'm finding it really tough at the moment. :blush: In a sense I think it keeps me going and gives me a routine, if I didn't have my job, I'd have nothing at all as I haven't any friends or social life etc. But at the same time, I don't sleep much and that combined with daytime anxiety sometimes makes me feel like I can't cope in work :unsure:

shaka
18-01-09, 00:44
I work for just two hours a day and sometimes find myself rushing to get home .I used to work full time making bridal wear and loved my job I wish i could work full time

shaka x

Phill2
18-01-09, 03:00
I'm like you Budgie - without work i'd be a lot worse off anxiety wise

jacks 6
18-01-09, 18:57
i work full time in a critical care unit and i have Health anxiety, none of my colleagues know about this which is very difficult at times, i have been off work a lot lately and doing a gradual return to work at present, start full time again next week, hoping it goes well.

Deepest Blue
22-01-09, 00:29
I work full time and I am actually a manager so the stress is even higher for me because I have to manage a team which isn't always easy. Although the job is tough sometimes, I feel like I really need it because I think if I was idle I would have gone into a very deep depression....

sheppeyescapee
23-01-09, 11:34
I don't work at the moment, mainly because I'm struggling to keep on top of things with full time uni. I have tried working before and jobs tend to only last me a few weeks to at most a few months. Then again the last job I had was pre-dx for AS and Dyspraxia so there was a lot of misunderstandings.

Meewah
26-01-09, 23:31
Sorry I work, I am of the belief that everyone is capable of doing something even its its advising people about anxiety or just listnening. Its too easy in this country to just sit back and watch everybody else pay.

Benefits should be means tested every 12 months. If you have two hands then you should be out there doing either paid or voluntary work.

The countries with no benefit system ironically have the lowest mental health problems....strange.

Sitting at home all day would drive me mad.

Mee

lorrifarko
27-01-09, 13:58
I work part time because i have children, thinking of doing more hours but that does worry me though. I hate knowing i have work the next day but im fine when i get there

bluegirl09
27-01-09, 14:39
sorry meewah i just read your post and i am furious-how dare you say that mental health isnt an illness and its something fabricated to stay off work and claim benefits i have worked for 10 years paid my taxes every single month through no fault of my own i got ill i dont take drugs (illegal) i dont drink or smoke either i got chronic depression i couldnt eat sleep hardly get up and changed in the morning i put my blouse to go too work and burst into tears because i wasnt well - how f**king dare you i will work again but people who have a mental illness need support and need some means of income i paid into it all my life so what do you suggest - staravtion i claim benefits to live p.s. i am bored s**tless at home now too because im well and i will be back too work as soon as i can find something suitable.

Beccy
27-01-09, 15:43
I work full time and although some of my worse attacks have been at work, I would go crazy if I didn't stay active. I am planning on starting a family in the near future so not working is really out of the question. I am just trying to focus on that to keep me going at the moment.

ladybird64
28-01-09, 15:07
Sorry I work, I am of the belief that everyone is capable of doing something even its its advising people about anxiety or just listnening. Its too easy in this country to just sit back and watch everybody else pay.

Benefits should be means tested every 12 months. If you have two hands then you should be out there doing either paid or voluntary work.

The countries with no benefit system ironically have the lowest mental health problems....strange.

Sitting at home all day would drive me mad.

Mee

Just to clarify, it is your belief that EVERYONE with a mental health problem is capable of work?

soulboydk
28-01-09, 20:14
I was taken of the work market in 1991 and paid early pension, it was only last year I do about four hours light cleaning a month which I do struggle to do. But its for a friend so he is easy on me.

starlight78
28-01-09, 21:13
I work full time and am lucky enough to love my job.. I couldn't not work, I think it has helped my recovery to work. I think its so important for people to have meaningful activity in their life (not necessarily paid work) as doing nothing is very toxic and depressing. It also gives you way too much time on your hands to worry.

Meewah
28-01-09, 22:05
sorry meewah i just read your post and i am furious-how dare you say that mental health isnt an illness and its something fabricated to stay off work and claim benefits i have worked for 10 years paid my taxes every single month through no fault of my own i got ill i dont take drugs (illegal) i dont drink or smoke either i got chronic depression i couldnt eat sleep hardly get up and changed in the morning i put my blouse to go too work and burst into tears because i wasnt well - how f**king dare you i will work again but people who have a mental illness need support and need some means of income i paid into it all my life so what do you suggest - staravtion i claim benefits to live p.s. i am bored s**tless at home now too because im well and i will be back too work as soon as i can find something suitable.

Bluegiirl

I wasnt aware I had said mental Health wasn't an illness!!! I find your comments offensive and feel as if you have a lot of anger and guilt! Do you think this is what you were thinking not me. I have this illness also but while ever I have ANY ability to help others I will. It is the best thing I do for my mental health. It gives me self respect, makes me feel part of society and feel less isolated. Stops me feeling like a scrounger. We think that because WE have a mental illness that makes us useless to others. You are working here by just giving constructive advice and support to others. Its a very selfish illness that makes us drain others and take money we dont deserve. We feel self pity all the time. If we could just start thinking about others less fortunate then may be we could live again.

Any how congratulations on getting well and good luck on your next job.

Love always

Mee

Meewah
28-01-09, 22:18
Just to clarify, it is your belief that EVERYONE with a mental health problem is capable of work?

Yes. Assuming you are not a danger to yourself or others. It is the best therapy assuming you go for a job that rewards you and you learn to see the rewards.

soulboydk - No one said getting back in to the labour market would be easy. You just have to build it up slowly. Only apply for jobs that fit your needs ( not too stressful) Helping others is a good start.

My brother is wheel chair bound and has no feeling from the waist down. He suffers from deppression because of his situation and blames his family for bringing him in to the world - He works!!!! it gives him a sense of self worth and helping people with a worse disability than him, lifts his spirit.

HE FEELS PART OF THE WORLD...which of course we all need to feel.

Mee

ladybird64
28-01-09, 22:31
Yes. Assuming you are not a danger to yourself or others. It is the best therapy assuming you go for a job that rewards you and you learn to see the rewards.

soulboydk - No one said getting back in to the labour market would be easy. You just have to build it up slowly. Only apply for jobs that fit your needs ( not too stressful) Helping others is a good start.

My brother is wheel chair bound and has no feeling from the waist down. He suffers from deppression because of his situation and blames his family for bringing him in to the world - He works!!!! it gives him a sense of self worth and helping people with a worse disability than him, lifts his spirit.

HE FEELS PART OF THE WORLD...which of course we all need to feel.

Mee

Thank you for the clarification.
It is also worth bearing in mind that those that suffer from mental health problems may have other personal circumstances that prevent them from going out to work, much as they would like to.

bluegirl09
29-01-09, 22:20
i wouldnt consider myself to be well enough educated to be helping people who have serious mental issues i would leave that for the people who have studied and are qualified if you go out giving advice etc. it may totally be the wrong thing.Back to the benefits i do not feel guilty one jot about claiming anything like i said me my dad my grandad we have all paid taxes i didnt ask to be ill and im afraid i think youre wrong in that some people cannot work cannot even leave the house just because you can- think yourself as lucky a) to be in work and b) not to have been soo ill that you couldnt work in the first place. For those who are well enough i strongly believe work or a hobby or something too fill the time constuctivly is better than dwelling at home.I hve nothing further to say on this.

Phill2
30-01-09, 00:31
Good on you Bluegirl
Try not to take it personally OK

Bob47
31-01-09, 11:59
I started a new job last september and my anxiety returned big time in the new year. I am dealing with it with Citalopram and still at work and getting through it

Auxman
31-01-09, 15:56
Due to 20 years of mental illness, clinical depression, anxiety, panic attacks, agoraphobia, social phobia , substance abuse and loads of meds, in and out of psychiatric units etc, I haven't worked since 1990.

I'm panicking just posting this message.

Phill2
01-02-09, 00:25
Good on you Bob.
It WILL get easier as you go

shortstuff
01-02-09, 07:45
I work full-time as a teacher, and even though I am convinced it was work-stress which triggered my depression & anxiety, it is the only normal thing I am able to do these days. I am clinging onto work these days, if I was at home all day, I'd get worse!

I am terrified of not being able to continue and I have been so close to this a lot lately. I have had 9 days off with anxiety since September, which is more than the rest of my working life combined! There have been several ocassions where I have found work impossible and have thought that I'd be forced to go on long term sick. I am still fighting though, as I believe it is a worthwhile fight. I might only be hanging on with my fingertips, but at least I am still hanging on.

Cat80
01-02-09, 13:48
I can't work at all. My panic shows itself as really bad nausea and a feeling of doom. Plus I also have social phobia so don't talk to anyone outside of the house unless I have too. Would love to be able to work, I crave a normal life but at the moment it's impossible

Meewah
01-02-09, 15:49
We all have are own way of dealing with things. I am the same as shortstuff, I feel as if I was at home I would be "different" if I am not different enough already and part of the problem , for me, is that feeling different is a good chunk of the problem. I have to fit in to society or risk isolating myself further. Psychologically I would create more problems for myself by being at home. Sometimes I do think that I could do to be at home but as I am self employed I can govern the stresses.

One size does not fit all. Wouldn't life be boring if we were all the same.

Mee

nikkipops
03-02-09, 20:00
I'm at uni but managing the workload with anxiety and panic attacks is difficult. There's always someone to answer to if I miss a class, and people don't seem to understand that it's a very real illness. I'm pretty worried about applying for jobs after I graduate (if I don't panic through the whole exam period and totally exhaust myself and manage to get my results!) because I'm scared I won't be able to keep it up and all this studying will be for nothing.

eurotrashcub
12-04-09, 18:48
Work is so important for me. I think I would get so bad if i didnt.

I recommend anybody with anxiety to work part time, or stufy, or do some volunteer work. Even if it is a couple of hours a week. It gives you a sense of achievement and of discipline and I think it is a great therapy

I know sometimes it feels like it is impossible to work at all, but aiming to do something and start by doing one hour at college/church/charity/ or whatever can be life changing

Plumpetals
13-04-09, 07:24
I agree with Ricard.

I work full-time and wouldn't have it any other way. I do feel overwhelmed by the amount of work I have, but I know myself -- if I had nothing to do, then I would start to find things to be anxious about. With my job, I can list my tasks and tick them off as I accomplish them - even if I feel anxious in the meantime.

Discipline is definitely important. Focusing your energy on trying to accomplish a task and then succeeding will boost your self-confidnece and make you feel better.

Phill2
13-04-09, 08:28
I'm the same as you Plump
Work is the only way I stay sane

emma30982
13-04-09, 10:55
i was studying in australia for 14months but got so stressed which brought on anxiety and then depression as the anxciety scared me im now in the uk homeless and living back with my family which i hate because they see me cry all the time this has been for 10 weeks now

Insomniac
13-04-09, 11:06
I work in a school and my boss knows how I feel. He is very understanding. His support helps me be able to come to work. I'm sure that not going to work would make me worse. I know its usually harder during the school holidays - too much time for my brain to think of silly stuff and get panicking!

I feel my circle of safety would become smaller if I did not make myself go out and do these things. Thank goodness for work!:)

maddie
13-04-09, 13:58
I was attacked at work. Now I can't fill a form in or even wear the clothes I used to wear to the office without severe attacks. I have been off 5 years. I tried voluntary work. I enjoyed it at first, but then someone else started who had been a client of mine and that really set me back. My daughter has needed help since the birth of her baby. I've been able to take the baby out and even go to the local shop for her. So maybe my grandson will be my deliverance!

GFHarris
13-04-09, 17:51
I feel the same as Lisa in that I feel I would do less and less if I didn't 'have' to go out to work every day. It's my routine, it's comfortable to me... although sometimes I have some anxiety to and from there, and during work (it's a stressful job anyway!), it keeps me busy and my mind off other things! I help people in my job and it's rewarding.

Granny Primark
13-04-09, 19:15
working and looking after people was my life.
I needed to be needed.
I wish now that id asked for community care calls that were near my home.
I think not working has had a really bad effect on my life.

Wee-Mee
30-04-09, 23:40
I don't work at all just now.

I hardly go anywhere to be honest, Very rarely