PDA

View Full Version : Kidney Infection????

SH2727
23-07-10, 14:27
Hi everyone,

I have had the constant urge to pee and a dull ache in my back for 3 weeks. I went to the doctors and my urine sample came back clear. I went back to my GP on Wednesday and she tested my urine and said she can see there's an infection, so she sent it away to the hospital and gave me antibiotics.

I am halfway through the antibiotics and I still feel as bad as ever. I am really worried it is something more serious than a UTI as the antibiotics don't seem to be doing anything. Should they be working by now and is it normal to have a UTI or kidney infection this long?

My Health Anxiety is Cancer, so you can imagine what is going on in my mind!!

Thanks so much for any advice.

SH2727
23-07-10, 21:41
I feel really miserable now that no-one has answered :-(

suzy-sue
23-07-10, 22:11
It usually takes at least three full days of antibiotics before you start to feel the symptoms easing off .If after the last day you still feel no different you may need another course ,even a different make of Tab .Some are more effective than others .It doesnt mean you have cancer .Some infections take longer than others to clear up .Ive had an infection that took days before it started to clear up .Drink plenty of water it helps to flush out your kidneys .Im sure you will be fine soon .Take care Sue x

SH2727
23-07-10, 22:18
Thanks Sue, I am so grateful to you for replying. x

thetube82
23-07-10, 23:33
drink water like it is going out of fashion......................

breathe
24-07-10, 00:49
Hi, so sorry you're feeling so bad at the moment. One of my H/A is cancer and I really feel for you but Sue is right there are many types of infections and many types of antibiotics. If your symptoms persist go back to your doc and he will give you another type to try. Drink plenty of water as others have said and cranberry juice is really good I try to drink at least a glass a day to help prevent water infections. Thoughts are with you and keep us updated.

KittyR
26-07-10, 11:28
Hey,
This sounds like a classic case of cystitis. I used to have bouts quite regularly so have some experience of the treatment of them! It could be 2 things why you feel so rubbish still. Firstly, they always give a certain antibiotic first to treat the infection. However this covers 75% of cases, so you may be in the 25%. Which is fine, it just means you need another antibiotic. Secondly, i see you had this for 3 weeks before you went to the doctor. I once had a nasty bout in Thailand and couldnt get antibiotics for two weeks. To cut a long storty shory, apparently if you have the bug in your bladder for a certain amount of time, the bug develops "claws" and sticks to the side of yor bladder, meaning although the infection is gone, you still feel "not quite right." It does go away after a week or so, but as well as the water get a lot of cranberry juice down you!