PDA

View Full Version : Positive outcomes of "disaster"

Dragonsblonde
23-07-10, 18:56
Have spent a lot of time on here asking panic filled questions and have had some great support.

So thought it was time for some positivity now

Have cut out the caffeine completely now which can only be good for me. Discovered Rooibos tea which is lovely and supposedly good for me

Have realised amongst my friends and colleagues that people do care and have given me some great support. Also realised that once someone starts to talk openly about their condition so many others have suffered with it or know someone who has. Great for barrier breaking down and making anxiety and depression less of a taboo subject

Reminded just what a wondeful husband I have

Have reconnected with some estranged members of my family

Have realised whilst I was thinking of quitting my job, just how much I actually love it and the people there. My boss is great and understanding and hoping that this new view will encourage me to continue driving my career forward.

Whilst I still have a road to travel to recovery I thought by actually listing out some of the good things that I know have come out of this it would be a good mental prompt of what I am fighting for!

Anyone else have positive thoughts from the darkness???

Jo

rachelb
25-07-10, 11:14
Excellent news, glad you are finding positivity - hard to do when we are all "ill".

I've lost my nightmares (still get the odd stressful dream but still big improvements), haven't cried randomly for 2 months now, can watch TV without getting upset, my head is quiet for most of the day allowing me to think without panicking, I can use the phone again to call people (helpful when dealing with customers!!). Also I am able to say "I am ok"!!!!!! which is huge, not - I am shit, waste of space, useless, lazy, etc.

Oh happy days.

Dragonsblonde
25-07-10, 11:47
Morning

Just thought it might help a bit, as too often we can't see the small increases in getting better than we make as we go along in the beginning. Thought writing it down might just help and also show that everything that happens in life has some positives hidden within it

Jo

jaded jean
25-07-10, 14:00
Hi Jo .
your posts have made good reading. Its very true that we dont see the little improvements Me, well I seem to look for huge stand in the way ones , I still find it hard to accept that I am going in the right direction at times.
What I have done in the past six weeks is ... return to work...change my position thru no fault of my own and to go part time....drive round the county on my own whereas I have been passenger for 8 months leading up to my return to work.....
I went to the garage today to get petrol ,, on my own. As we can see there are a few plusses in this recovery which I would see as essential but not groundbreaking in my recovery. I am grateful for all that has happened in getting this far, but still think I should be doing more!!
Jean

Dragonsblonde
25-07-10, 19:31
Hi Jean

I know exactly where you are coming from trust me!. The small things like being able to go back to work and function at things like cooking (still not loving it) and even eating regularly are actually huge things for me. They still feel small at times though and as if I am not doing enough and never will.

I can say though from your list you have HUGE improvements like being able to take control and drive rather than have to be passive. I think that part of the trouble is also down to us feeling better than before and just wanting that to happen faster and faster. Bear in mind how long it took us to fall down though and I bet your recovery has been faster than that

All the best thoughts and support to you - we travel this road alone, but we do have people who travel by our sides too

Jo
x

Dragonsblonde
07-08-10, 10:28
Been a while since I posted on this thread, but something happened at work yesterday that got me contemplating it again.

Someone (who actually thought they were insulting me lol), said that it seemed like I didn't care about my job anymore. When I looked at the moment I realised that the only difference was, instead of rushing to sort their query out and dropping what I was doing at the time, all I really did was sort the problem out whilst maintaining control of the situation. I didn't rush into anything, simply stood back reviewed it and dealt with it.

This spurred me on to realise I can now look at myself and my life a bit more and see other areas where I am changing and for the better. More on this to follow I think. Slow contemplation and I am actually looking forward to it