PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle ride gone wrong!

Meltdown
24-07-10, 14:30
I went for a ride on my (extremely fast!) motorcycle yesterday. I have always enjoyed riding, and have ridden bikes for more than 30 years

Yesterday I decided to take the opportunity of going out on it for an hour. Unfortunately, this was less than 30 minutes after waking up from an afternoon nap.

After riding in a fairly spirited way for a few miles, the paliptations started coming (adrenaline, I guess), but then I started feeling dizzy - really dizzy. I carried on slowly for a mile or two, whilst becoming more and more convinced that I am getting too old to be riding bikes, and that my condition is deteriorating such that this is something I can't do any more! I felt that I had to turn around, although the rational part of my mind told me that it was all in my head, and that I should carry on.

Eventually I gave in, and turned around for home. And guess what happened? - within a mile or two, I began feeling OK again!

I did extend my ride a little (to prove a point) - but I feel crushed that I let these feelings get on top of me, and spoil a pastime I have enjoyed for 30 years!

Oddfish
24-07-10, 17:21
Best thing you can do is get back out there as soon as you can so the feelings don't become associated with being on the bike. Have fun!

T101
25-07-10, 00:15
I agree wholeheartedly with trickyvee on this one, association is a killer and if you let it your world will get smaller and smaller...get back out there on a small distance run (maybe not so "spirited") and think of nothing but your love of biking. Good luck!

Meltdown
25-07-10, 11:02
Thanks for the comments and advice!

You are right, I should go out and ride again soon (maybe this afternoon)

The thought processes are so strong with this thing! even though common sense tells me better, it's still easy to believe that there is "something wrong" which makes us feel ill when panic/anxiety takes hold. Proof of this is how I felt "better" within a few miles of deciding to turn around and head for home!

Rheidy
26-07-10, 03:24
Hi

I know exactly how you feel. I had stopped riding my motorbike apart from a few short trips here and there due to me being worried someting "might" happen while I'm on the bike. I thought that I was going to lose the one hobby that made me feel good! Then my partner and I decided to ride 6000 kilometres to fairly remote parts of Australia. Boy did I freak out at the thought of it! I even had some days where I almost said I don't think I can ride today but kept it to myself and just kept going. I did have a pretty nasty attack while riding, my partner was up ahead on his bike but to have those feelings in a helmet is not nice. I had no choice but to push on and I'm glad for that.

I say keep riding...the great thing about riding is all of the sensory distractions around, the smells, the slight changes in temperature as you go in or out of a valley... The feeling of the rain Pounding down on your legs... because it always rains before you can get home :)

sketchyboots
26-07-10, 17:05
I'm the same with driving - but instead of letting it get to me I'm just carrying on getting out there in my car. Exposure is the best thing to fight the fear. Carry on riding!

Meltdown
26-07-10, 19:06
6000k Rheidy - Wow! that's quite an achievement!

On Sunday I rode the same route again where I had the problems. The first 10 miles were a bit challenging, with lots of palpitations, and a definite feeling of edgy-ness! but I stuck with it, and curiously, once I passed the point where I had turned back on the previous ride. I actually started feeling really good!