PDA

View Full Version : Help dealing with panic attacks

shinderuko
25-07-10, 00:13
Hey guys,
I've been having really irrational panic attacks for a couple of months now. They come on seemingly unexpectedly almost anywhere, at home, out shopping and especially on the bus.
I've been dealing with this mainly on my own after a referal from the doctor for CBT led to nothing.
The panic attacks leave me feeling terribly sick and faint with the desperate need to get home.
I dread being alone even when I'm at home and have finally come to a breaking point. I can't carry on like this and feel I have no one to turn to.
Any suggestions on how to deal with panic attacks would be much appreciated :)
Thanks guys.

nomorepanic
25-07-10, 00:14
Hi there

Have a read of this page....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/panicattack/

T101
25-07-10, 00:22
Hi there - you're not alone and whilst they feel "irrational" and "random"...they are not, it's a myth. There is a trigger and a reason. I was also refered to CBT by my doc but never got an appointment aftre 2 years..i'm still waiting!!! I did however see a psychologist privately (was paid for by my employers at the time luckily!) and i learnt so much about these attacks. I still get them but i know why, it makes sense, but it is frustrating i can't 'control' them even though i know i shouldn't and that's not the way to go. Aghhhhhhhh!
Anyway, that's not really helping you is it lol....my honest advice is get back to your doctors and have a very frank discussion about how close to breaking point you are. You will get meds probably and i would urge you to take them as they do help 'soften the blow' which is much needed by the sound of it. I speak from experience too so please go back to your doctors before you have a complete breakdown, this will not go away so tackle it head on, get the medical support you need in place then take one step at a time.

shinderuko
25-07-10, 00:34
Thank you. I'm planning on making an appointment with the doctor next week. My doctor's been really quite understanding and patient with me whilst I've cried my way through appointments. It's just the CBT people who seem to be delaying. Maybe a different organisation or something would be better.
It's nice to know I'm not alone with all of this, however much I may feel like I am sometimes.

Thumbelina
25-07-10, 08:09
You are definately not alone, there thousands of people only on this site,

Hope you find peace here,

paulaf
25-07-10, 21:01
Hi

I totally relate to how you are feeling, I have been waiting for a year for CBT now and the only reason I am semi-coping is due to medication. Are you on any meds at all? There are other things you can do to get you through panic attacks like diaphramatic breathing an relaxation techniques - focusing on feeling all your muscles relax from your head to your toes. I hope things get better for you.

shinderuko
25-07-10, 21:12
No I'm not on any medication but considering discussing them with my doctor at the next appointment.
I'm challenging myself to get on a bus into town tomorrow with the help of my trusty Rescue Remedy and some deep breathing.
Thank you for the advice.