PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that not doing enough every day creates a lot of our problems?

Onwards & Upwards
25-07-10, 12:20
I just wonder whether we get a bit down in the dumps, so maybe cut ourselves off from people and reality, have less to fill our time with and then things spiral?

I was just thinking about why some people appear to be happy all the time? Are they people who have always got something to occupy their minds, always have something to do?

I'm probably stating the obvious really but for me, I think I got generally pi**ed off with various things, everyday things, didn't do enough enjoyable things, didn't have enjoyable things to look forward to etc etc so got down in the dumps then did even less stuff and then got into the terrible cycle of health anxiety, which I've managed to control but it's now been replaced with the huge question about "LIFE".

Having a tough time at the moment, really hope it's a phase like other episodes in my life but I can't help but wonder if I had been a more "busy" person, would I have ever gone through these dreadful experiences?

Vixxy
25-07-10, 13:01
Keeping yourself busy will help. I find that a day without any structure is usually a lot worse than one with structure.
The trouble is finding enough things to fill each day with!

cwoz82
25-07-10, 13:50
Keeping active both physically and mentally is a key factor in combatting anxiety and depression, there is a proven link between exercise and improvements in depression and anxiety. I find that I'm quite the opposite, I NEED to keep going, find it hard to settle but that might be that I've got it into my head now that if I don't do things and get up and get out I'll feel much worse for doing nothing

Emphyrio
25-07-10, 23:59
Definitely - I got in a right spiral of depression etc when I finished university last September, moving back home to a place where I was getting no social contact with anyone really, and I started finding solace in playing GTA 4 with a lot of bottled ale - what a sad existence it was looking back at things! I started a new course in January and it's been so much better - more social contact and more of a feeling of achievement, although the anxiety/depression/intrusive thoughts still come and go. I'm going back home in a few weeks before my fieldwork starts so I'm going to force myself to do more productive things - exercise everyday, go to the library and do reading, maybe start using the gym...instead of just lying in bed til the early afternoon! It's easier said than done though but sometimes you have to force yourself to do things knowing that sitting around the house isn't particularly conducive to wellbeing.

Phill2
26-07-10, 02:53
It sure does.
If I hadn't gone back to work I'd be insane by now.
You definately need a reason to get up in the morning.
Phill :shades:

bluebottle
26-07-10, 13:55
I'm often isolated and it creates a lot of problems. I am in between terms at College and have too much spare time. I am getting out, but its not regular contact, and I have no friends I see regularly who I can call real friends. Its so frustrating feeling myself slipping back.

sketchyboots
27-07-10, 18:27
Not doing much definitley makes you depressed and anxious unless you are really in need of quiet rest time when not doing much can of course be beneficial. I have been out of work for a while and used to get really down and avoid everything but have more recentley upped my activity levels - job hunting, a bit of exercise, getting out and about in my car, library - just normal stuff but it helps keep me (relatively) sane! One thing I would point out though is that it's important not to overdo things and have like 2 crazy busy days and then crash for 3 - I am prone to doing this - it is best to try and PACE yourself and get a good balance of activity and rest. I would say that exercise is very important in controlling anxiety. It is always a struggle to make the effort to do some of course, but it is worth it. If I don't exercise for a couple of days or go for a whole week without a long walk or something my anxiety levels shoot through the roof - I literally shake from all the pent-up adrenaline begging to be released! There are other fun ways to release adrenaline too of course (only when you're in the mood of course!) lol good luck with increasing your activity levels - you posted a really good subject question.

Thumbelina
27-07-10, 18:43
100% true. If your mind is wondering about, it goes into anxiety and depression especially if there is a history. I have to have to have full time planned out. I have my set back as my kids away and I have a bit too much time on my hands.

ladybird64
27-07-10, 22:20
It's an interesting question. I have had anxiety and agoraphobia/panic attacks for many years (more than 20) but also led a very busy life.

I raised 5 kids, had 2 jobs..my days were always full but I felt this sometimes exacerbated the problems, partially my fault because I never actually went to the doctors about it at any point. I became used to struggling through and having emotions on a jagged edge the whole time.

I now have more time on my hands (well, theoretically!) as I am a full time carer for my disabled daughter but the problems still occurred until quite recently.

I think it is the nature of WHAT we do, rather than having enough to do that makes the difference. I have made small changes in lifestyle, doing stuff that I wouldn't normally do and making a strong effort to surround myself with things that are not anxiety related.

I think that NMP is an amazing resource and has played a massive part in helping me get on the right track but I am also very aware that it is all too easy to surround oneself with things that can be triggering. It is understandable as we want the companionship of those who understand us and how we feel but it is all too easy to get immersed in that and not put the time in that we need to help ourselves get better.

I now have the routine of making sure I get off the computer by a particular time, try and read or do something a bit different. I also make sure that I have enough time for myself to properly relax, this in turn means I have enough mental and physical energy to face each day and try and challenge myself a little more.

I think the key is finding something different to do, something that will spark an individual interest. I agree to do nothing is the worst possible way to go, an anxious mind will spend all that free time engrossed in finding more things to worry about.

jothenurse
28-07-10, 00:29
LadyBird - a very good replay.