PDA

View Full Version : when partner does not understand......

calm
25-07-10, 18:02
my husband does not understand what i am going through with my panic attacks/anxiety attacks.
all he says is pull yourself together....buck up and things like this.
how do i explain my feelings....i have tried but to no avail. he is a good man just that he does not understand.
thank you friends hope you can give me some advice xxxxx

nomorepanic
25-07-10, 18:04
Hi calm

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

shinderuko
25-07-10, 18:18
The amount of arguements that have been caused between me and my boyfriend by the phrase 'pull yourself together' is unreal.
There's a section in the article about Panic Attacks that tells you what to do if someone else is having one. Maybe showing that to your husband would help you to explain a) it's not just you!! b) you're not exaggerating c) what he's saying has an effect on your anxiety.
I hope this both makes sense and helps :)
Good luck!

Thumbelina
25-07-10, 18:32
Hi calm, if you read some of my first posts last year you will see that I am in exactly the same situation, bit I understand though now that there is no point in trying to explain to him, because otherwise than that he is a good family man. Of course I still get upset over it but i try nor to let it take over everrything. There are many People whose partners do not understand that illness can be cUsed by anxiety, but it's not the end of the world. Take care.

calm
25-07-10, 20:45
thank you too you both for your replies.....it is oh so hard isnt it :-( maybe one day he will understand.....then again if he does not.....i am here with people that do.
thank you both so so much xxxx it makes a difference knowing that i am not alone xxxx