PDA

View Full Version : please help/need advice

debz1982
26-07-10, 16:36
Hi,
i was signed off work with stress a week ago and today my doctor has signed me off for another 2weeks which i have just told my work about, i cant seem to shake this feeling that i am not going to have a job to go back to?!?! before i was off i made a few errors with work but that was because my head wasnt in it and i wasnt myself but now my mind is working overtime! can i get fired from this??
please help
Debbie

JT69
26-07-10, 17:46
Hi Debbbie,

Please try not to worry hun...you would of made those mistakes cos you were not with it...you wont get fired because of it.

You just need time to re-group and settle down then you will be fine....no employer has the right to fire you over something like that so try not to worry.

Stress is a very common thing and your employer has a duty of care to you.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.
Jo.xx

onceagain
26-07-10, 18:46
Hi Debbie

Please don't let the worry of losing a job play on your mind as I have to be honest, I did like you and all I kept thinking was I have to get back and I'm gonna lose my job... you will stress and worry over this and not allow yourself time to heal. I rushed back with every day trying to find a route back because of fear of losing my job... I went back before I was truly ready and have made the journey much harder than was necessary... dont do likewise.. the doctor has signed you off because you need that time to recover so use it for what it was meant for.

Work cannot sack you whilst you are signed off by a doctor.. so that is issue one out of the way... issue two mistakes, what action did they take at the time, they cannot just sack you procedures are tougher now to prevent employers sacking unnecessarily and they must be followed by all.

If you haven't been well then your mind is bound not to be on the job 100%, but hey we are human and we err all of us, not just the ones with anxiety or depression or phobias ...everyone makes mistakes and has those err moments... so come on give yourself a break and be wise and kind to yourself.. switch your worries of work off... and start to mend yourself.

Big hugs x

Bill
27-07-10, 04:43
Just to reassure you, I was signed off work for 6 months and even then they couldn't fire me. They asked me to choose.

However, if your job is That stressful and is making you ill, do you think trying to find a less stressful job while you're off sick would be more beneficial to you for the sake of your health? It could also focus your mind off your worries even if you don't find anything suitable and offer you a window of new opportunity doing a job you find enjoyable.:hugs:

cwoz82
27-07-10, 07:15
I recently learned that anxiety is supported under the disability discrimination act and therefore if you are recording treatment for it it is very much illegal for them to sack you whilst off, or even upon your return. I have had the very same issue in work, my doctor tells me I should be signed off but I've yet to take that step, at the moment just keeping going and looking forward to my holidays from work and ensuring they are a complete break from work.
You MUST stop thinking about work and focus on YOU and your wellbeing. If you allow yourself to worry like this you will go back worse than you left and the cycle will perpetuate.

FatherTed
30-07-10, 00:46
Have to agree with sharonsk. When I was eventually signed off and was completely out of control ALL I could think about was going back to work.Every time I attended my GP and he asked me how I was he was writing my sickline as I replied. It would have made NO difference what I said. Once he even reduced my sickline to a week from a fortnight which made me think I must be getting better and was going to return to work. When I verbalised this on my next visit I was promptly signed off for a month and told if I mentioned work again he would take that as a sign of my continued illness. I was totally bemused. However in time and it was not overnight I gradually started to value myself and see that I had needs and deserved to be considered as much as the next person. I would no longer say Yes to every request put upon me by others simply to avoid offending them. This simple act gave me a completely new persona and let me tell you people are much less likely to try and take advantage of my nice nature now.