PDA

View Full Version : is it the thoughts that sends us in panic or does the panic set the thought

trish1955
27-07-10, 12:56
i sat out on my garden for a few minutes felt strange like i was anxiose and about to ave yet another panic attack not sure if i was over thinking the feeling or i was thinking that brought anout the panicky state this illness is so hard to work out what come first its as bad as the chicken or the egg will we ever know about either any one got any answers lv trish xx

Martin Burridge
27-07-10, 13:58
Thats a very good question. The answer is that it is definitely the thoughts. Unfortunately it does feel like a chicken and egg cycle. More panic attacks you have more you think and worry about them. More you think and worry about them, more panic attacks you have.
This is why the most successful therapies for treating panic are based around changing your thinking process.
The good news is that the less you think about panic attacks, the less they happen. This can put you into a positive cycle out of the disorder. It aint easy to change long established ways of thinking. It requires a team effort from both the patient and the therapist.