PDA

View Full Version : Practical advice sought regarding Agoraphobia

Arthur45
28-07-10, 13:47
Hello All,

I am just wondering if any of you have any practical tips you might care to pass on for coping with Agoraphobia. Specifically - wide open spaces. I have always had something of a problem being anywhere that is too exposed.

As a general rule I put my head down and get on with it but on a few occasions I have found myself almost rooted to the spot and it has taken a monumental effort to move (and keep moving).

Ultimately my fear is "What would happen if gravity were switched off ?"

Now, I know a bit about Physics (or I like to think that I do), so even in that worst case scenario I am aware that I would not be immediately sucked into outer space etc.

However, despite everything, that remains my concern.

When I am near houses / buildings etc I always think "Well I would just grab hold of that wall". Therefore, when in the middle of a playing field (for example) I am thinking "a bit exposed here" and I become uncomfortable.

As I say - I am rarely affected to the point of being "frozen with fear" but on a few occasions I have come a bit too close for comfort. I am worse when it is windy !

I am fully aware of the options as regards CBT, Counselling and medication etc but what I am really seeking is just some practical tips to help me deal with situations as and when they arise.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Arthur

Allicloud
16-08-16, 23:52
My anxiety is worse in wide open spaces too. In the middle of parks, large plains, mountains, etc. I feel uncomfortable when I think there is nothing to hold on to. I'm hoping that with time, I'll start to feel normal again.

Mermaid16
17-08-16, 00:33
I have attached a link to a book that you can access online. I have found it very helpful. http://www.agoraphobiacured.com/

Hope that it provides some help for you. Tracy

Debs21uk
17-08-16, 23:05
That's a very good link Mermaid, it's motivated me to face this x

Mermaid16
18-08-16, 01:04
That's great Debs. It is a really good read and makes sense to me. Plus you can read it online and print it out. Good luck xx